Search results

1. C

Newish Member

I am Mike Cuthriell and go by Cuthriell on this site. I have been here for several years now but never posted an introduction. I live in Smithfield, Va and retired in 2018 from a local power station. My primary interests are bicycles, gardening, and woodworking. Currently and probably for the...
  2. C

Smoke Detector

Any recommendations for a garage smoke detector that alarms remotely? Our garage is semi detached from the house via a carport. It shares an upper floor wall with the house that is a fire rated wall. I tried smoke detectors years ago and ran into constant nuisance alarms from dust. Is there...
  3. C

Help With Cloudy Finish

Any help appreciated for this table shelf. It has several coats of rattle can lacquer with cloudy spots showing through. The white spots visible in the photo are what is showing through the finish. Thanks, Mike
  4. C

Stanley Block Plane Cam

Has anyone seen replacement cams for the old block planes? 9-1/4, 9-1/2, 110, 220, Etc have what I am looking for. I have one I want to give away and would like for it to be all there first. I've searched the internet without success. I remember seeing a kit with the cam and rivet way back but...
  5. C

Shopsmith Jointer Blades

These are 4" and very old. I do not thing they were ever used. Notice the right side is not 90 degrees. They are free to anyone with that machine and willing to pay the shipping.
  6. C

Nooitgedagt Coffin Smoother

This is in good condition. It is 8" long with a 50MM wide iron that is 0.105" thick with a chip breaker. I want $50 and that includes shipping anywhere in US via a flat rate box. I have had it a long time and never really used it, but did use the iron and breaker in a Krenov style radius plane...
  7. C

Router Suggestions

Any recommendations for a smaller router to replace two 70s vintage Craftsman routers I have. The shaft lock is broken on both and I have to remove the motor top cover to change bits. These are mounted upside down to boards that I use as router tables and mostly never removed. I don't need a lot...
  8. C

White Cedar Lumber

I am looking for a source for eastern or northern white cedar lumber for kestrel boxes. I need about 300 bf. I am in Southeastern Va and willing to drive.
  9. C

Wood ID

Does this look familiar to anyone? I was thinking it is walnut that is very hard. Very. But am now wondering if it might be something else. I have rosewood boards that are similarly hard but much lighter in color. The board has been in a stack of walnut for maybe 40 years and never used because...
  10. C

Hank

I sent you a PM about osage orange.
  11. C

Barrel Hinges

Does anyone use these? I am duplicating (8 boxes) a box I previously made to give away and the original used Brusso hinges. I don't care to spend $40 each on 8 new boxes. Any luck or horror stories with them? I'm not interested in the less expensive thin brass hinges. I would use the Horton...
  12. C

Parks/Craftsman Planer

Anyone have a Parks/Craftsman planer with any original paint showing or know of a commonly available color that is close? This one is from the late 40s.
  13. C

Table Saw Throat Plate

Has anyone ever seen a plate with a vacuum attachment? My DC ducts directly outside and pulls the heat with it. I have connected a shop vac to the saw and it works well but for the dust on the top of the saw directly behind the blade. To be honest, the DC leaves that stuff there as well, just...
  14. C

Fan Direction Question

I have a large exhaust fan in the shop that has stopped starting. It hums but does not rotate. I can spin the blade in either direction and it will start and continue running in that direction. It has a capacitor located in the housing. Could the capacitor be the problem? I know this is in the...
  15. C

Sheathing Recommendations

Any recommendations for covering insulated walls in a small shop? I see 1/2" plywood sheathing is available for about $22. I want to paint it white before installation. I think I am not interested in drywall due to durability. Has anyone ever used fire resistant construction paper, such as on a...
  16. C

Free Homemade Lathe

Free to anyone to pick up. There is a tailstock and tool rest as well. Bothe ends of the shaft are threaded 1" RH. It has several fittings for this thread size. I am close to Smithfield, Va.
  17. C

Replacement Planer Motor

Any suggestions for a replacement motor for a Parks 12" planer? The current motor is 1-1/2 HP and very large compared to modern motors. It dates to the late 40s with the planer. I'm mostly looking for opinions on HP and RPM.
  18. C

Sawbuck Chair

Has anyone veer built a copy of a Wenger sawbuck chair? I'd love to see some dimensions and pictures of the joints.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS