Search results

1. R

beeswax and naptha

I also like beeswax and oil soft wax, although I prefer a food-grade drying oil (walnut, flax, grapeseed, etc.). Veg oils seem more durable to me, but they do go off if you don't use the wax within six months or so. It's easy to make, though, so I just do small batches. Current recipe is 2:1...
  2. R

bench chisels deal at Woodcraft

They're okay for the price. Have to sharpen more often, and the sides aren't all that slim so you need to be more careful paring into corners. Should be plenty fine to fill the role for classes. Anyone picky enough to get annoyed with them would probably bring their own set anyways.
  3. R

North Carolina Furniture School update

Put me on the list. I'm in Greenville so it's a quick hop over for me.
  4. R

Handsaw Sharpening

To add to the pile of resources, Welcome to the Vintage Saws! is the tutorial that made it click for me. I also got the Veritas kit when I started. I haven't used all the files on saws, but I've used enough, and the others get used for other stuff. The file guide is quite helpful, too. You'll...
  5. R

Spoke shave advice

I haven't tried the Hock kit, but I've put a bit of work into the one I made from the similar Veritas kit. It was a fun build, and the low angle blade works splendidly when there's a lot of end grain to go across. For long-grain shaving I find it's very sensitive to grain direction, if you go in...
  6. R

Phil Lowe Workbench

Only picture I could find of my bench: As someone who recently finished up a bench that I overthought and agonized over, I think the biggest thing is to just make a bench and see how it works. I used a coffee-table sized bench with a crappy vise for way too long; it was terrible and held my...
  7. R

Looking for green Paper Birch

Apple and cherry are my favorite spoon woods. Red maple and birch are nice, but I find them a bit dull, unless they've started to spalt, and the fruit woods work better with my preferred knife/burnish finishing. Peach has some spectacular colors but it's a difficult wood. I don't have space to...
  8. R

Permanent home, new tools, & new classes for the North Carolina Furniture School!

That's spectacular. I'm in Greenville so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the class list.
  9. R

Keeping planes slick

I made a beeswax/turpentine blend that ended up too stiff for finishing wood, but is perfect for slicking up tools. I find it easier to apply evenly than straight wax, and less messy and longer lasting than oil. Side note, I like that bench Dan. Are the legs 4x4 posts? I scored a couple free...
  10. R

Who's interested in a sharpening workshop?

I see that you're holding off for now, but I'd be interested in this when/if you reschedule. I'm not an absolute beginner but I'm probably at the point where I've acquired some bad habits a more experienced sharpener would spot instantly. I'm in Greenville, so popping down to Ayden is simple.
  11. R

NCFS Turners September Meeting

Thanks! It's not working out this time, but I'll plan for next month.
  12. R

NCFS Turners September Meeting

I'd like to come by and see the school, but I have zero turning experience and I'm still working on my general woodworking skills. Would it be reasonable for me to come by? Don't want to take up space unnecessarily.
  13. R

Florip Toolworks Dovetail Saw

Nice! Not sure how he makes any money with his prices, but it looks like he's making it work. I ordered a saw plate and back from him to make a 14" carcase saw, can't wait to start.
  14. R

ENC Hardwood Supply

I'm in Greenville as well and the lack of decent hardwood makes things difficult. I don't mind driving to Raleigh, but lumber dealers' weekend hours are limited at best. Stuart Kent at the NC Furniture School in Ayden stocks some exotics and will order other species...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors