Search results

1. S

Lots of angles - required some practice pieces

I really like the shape of the wedge.
  2. S

Is it time to replace my machines?

You may be able to use the sheet metal functions of some CAD software to take a 3D model and turn it into a flattened version. I know Fusion 360 has functionality for basically unfolding/laying flat models so that they could be cut/bent out of sheet metal. I do not use that much, though. There...
  3. S

Double Sided Woodworking Tape

I have been using intertape 591 also and it seems good to me. Although I will often use the superglue and blue tape trick.
  4. S

Specific mechanism of spiral catches/runbacks with skew on beading cuts

@Barry Russell Thank you, I think this is helping narrow down the issue I am having. I am probably not keeping the bevel rubbing when I start the bead consistently enough. You will have to forgive me as I am doing some maintenance work on the lathe itself for the next day or two so I cannot do...
  5. S

Birdcage awl, blade length

That's very kind of you to say, thank you.
  6. S

@pop-pop I have a little 1x30 belt sander and I made a block to hold the shaft, square cross section, with a hole down the center, and set screws to hold the shaft in place. I 3D printed this one but you could easily make it with wood, wood would actually be better because you wouldn't have to...
  7. S

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I ended up deciding to keep the shafts the same length because I can do the grip @creasman suggested with it, just barely. I may make larger ones with 1/4" shafts at some point. Epoxy is still curing so I cannot test them yet, but they turned out decent...
  8. S

Queen Anne Desk

Incredible work.
  9. S

Thank you @Mike Davis. The times it happens to me is more like at the 8:25 mark in the Richard Raffan video (time coded link.) I.e., at the start of a beading cut and not when terminating it in a sharp V. I think next what I will probably do is try to replicate it with the lathe off, turning the...
  10. S

I've found a lot of videos with advice on how to do beading cuts with a skew. I am still practicing and getting better, I am trying to internalize what the correct things to do and not to do are. However, I'm struggling to visualize what exactly is occurring when the skew gets kicked back out of...
  11. S

Sharpening stones for planes and chisels

Seconding this. One of my "a-ha" moments when I was figuring out sharpening to start was that my green compound is not the same as some random youtuber's green compound. "Green is not a particle size" is how I like to phrase that particular revelation.
  12. S

When talking about high grits I find it's kind of essential to look at the Grand Logarithmic Grit Chart for the particular stone you are looking at buying because the standards vary so widely. Depending on the standard "8000" might mean anywhere between 3 and 1 micron for example and that's not...
  13. S

Angle Grinder chain disc video

Stumpy Nubs from Youtube (name unrelated) got a pretty bad hand injury from one of these. Apparently they are banned in the UK now.
  14. S

A $15 Stanley 4 1/2...

I've been searching for "hand planes" when I should be searching for "photography props" apparently!
  15. S

I would recommend using the grinder for anything where it's taking too long on the stones you have, and see how that goes. I think that now that I have gotten used to using mine, I appreciate more that they are kind of a necessary tool for rehabbing/changing tools significantly if you don't want...
  16. S

I'm making some birdcage awls. I currently have blades (or shafts or whatever they are called in an awl, the pointy steel part) that will be 2" long outside the handle once everything is done, but they're not epoxied into the handle yet. I came up with this by just prototyping a bunch and seeing...
  17. S

Hefty benchtop bench

That looks really nice, looking over this for ideas for sure. What hardware did you use to attach the adjustable planing stop? I'm considering adding one to my bench.
  18. S

Knot splits in live edge pine

However you ended up fixing those splits and the white residue, it looks great, you couldn't tell you had to rework it.
  19. S

1/8" cut diam x 5/8+" deep router bit

Thanks, also found one that is a similar price range ($36): *AstraHP Coated* Bits&Bits 425-SRF125LR – 1/8″ Long Reach Up-Cut Spiral Bit – 1/4″ Shank Will have to compare shipping and the Jay Bates discount and decide if I want to do things this way, but thank you everyone.
  20. S

1/8" cut diam x 5/8+" deep router bit

Thank you, was trying to look through their catalog but had trouble finding anything due to how it's organized. Dang, not cheap though, $36+. Will have to think about that one. Much appreciated though.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS