Search results

1. J

Making Real Japanning

I've just mixed up some japanning the other day according to Hand Tool Rescue's recipe and ratios in his youtube video on Japanning. Ingredients are powdered asphaltum, turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. (50% turpentine, 30% asphaltum, 20% BLO) Going to start testing in the next day or two. Had...
  2. J

Apple Press Restoration

I've had this 150 year old cider press for a few years now. (PP MAST and Co BUCKEYE JUNIOR improved 1866) After about 4 years of getting into woodworking and restoring my own tools I gained enough skills to take on this restoration. I've been working on it on and off ,not consistently, since...
  3. J

Help with a design?

For some time I have been wanting to make a traditional style toolbox. I'd like it to look like an old toolbox maybe from the 18th century. Like this one: Antique Dovetail Tool Box Filled with Old-fashioned Tools I started cutting dovetails for the case, but I'm not sure how the skirt is...
  4. J

Heart Pine Bench

Just recently finished this foot bench in reclaimed pine salvaged from a barn on our property. The wood all came from huge 12 1/2" wide 30 foot long beams. I believe it is Longleaf (?) Heart Pine. Mortise and tenon construction, dovetailed cross supports, arm-r-seal finish, hide glue. A lot of...
  5. J

How can I effectively resaw on this?

I've found a small piece of oak out in the yard thought I'd try and make maybe a dovetailed candle box out of. My joiner is only a 6" so I used a no.6 to flatten one side and ran it through the planer. It's about 1 5/16" thick. I have never resawn anything except on a table saw. I was wondering...
  6. J

Table Top attachment method

Hello! I have a quick question concerning attaching a table top for a small side table build. I'm building a table similar to one out of a magazine and they use figure 8 fasteners to attach the top. I don't have any of those and I was wondering if I could just use the biscuit joiner to make a...
  7. J

Pine or Fir?

Was just wondering if these old barn trusses were still good to use so I cut into one. Very aromatic and resinous. Pine or Fir?
  8. J

Hairline Cracks in Oak

Would you use material with hairline cracks? These are some blanks for a glue up that will become the top of a plant/candle stand, and I noticed one of them has some hairline cracks. Even though I have plenty of thickness to plane them out I worry they might reappear. I'm not worried about them...
  9. J

Recent Projects Completed

Hello all, just wanted to share recently-ish completed projects. Forgive me if the post seems long. The first is the hall table I finally finished in March. Fairly difficult for me but I think it turned out okay. Next is a pine wall shelf. Paul Sellers design. Finished it in mid March...
  10. J

How would you hang this?

Hi, was just thinking of some future projects and I figured I would ask the more experienced about this. I am thinking of making some shaker candle sconces but I am not sure how I would hang them on the wall if I made them. I understand of course that the Shakers would hang things on a pegboard...
  11. J

Drawbore Pin Broke

Was just about to glue up a draw bore mortise and tenon for a small table project when I had everything ready with glue applied and as I was driving in the pin, it fractured and broke sharply in the middle of the joint. My heart literally sank... I had to frantically try and drive it out with...
  12. J

Will freezing ruin Arm R Seal?

I've had some arm r seal in the shop for a while, which is just an outbuilding, so I'm certain it has frozen before. It says on the can to not allow it to freeze. I'm planning on using it on a project here soon. Will freezing temperatures ruin Arm R Seal? Will freezing temperatures...
  13. J

What causes this?

I have been working on a new furniture project recently, the first project at home that involves me milling my own wood, whereas the previous project used wood already dressed. I noticed something peculiar in the white oak which will become the top. I have seen this before in both white and red...
  14. J

Sharpening Jointer Knives

After milling some white oak parts for a project my jointer literally can't joint an edge or flatten a face. I was wondering is there anywhere I can send jointer knives to be honed? I'm not against doing it myself at all, but I understand that the jointer knives need a pretty high tolerances...
  15. J

Where can I find Plans for something like this?

I want to build an antique inspired slant front desk or writing desk, but since I'm a novice I would really prefer to get a good set of plans to make things clear rather than me designing it as I go. I love this design and I'm entranced by their history. I'm thinking of making a prototype out of...
  16. J

Recommend me some Epoxy

Looking to try making a river table in the future. Need a good brand of Epoxy that won't break the bank. One that I can add pigment to and make it look awesome. Thanks
  17. J

Discovery: a hazard...

Recently bought this Hitachi tablesaw used for a great deal. Great saw no issues. But the previous owner didn't have dust collection and neither do I. In highschool we had a great dust collection system and we would shop vac out the sawstops from time to time so I have never seen a saw this...
  18. J

Cypress Mailbox

Hello all! Just wanted to share what I have been working lately. I'm making a double mailbox post which will hold 2 mailboxes, which we will also make. This mailbox was recently finished. This one is Cypress, it's companion will be Cedar. They will rest atop a Cedar 4x4 which has a draw bore...
  19. J

Outdoor Finish Question

Hello! I have a quick question about finishes. I plan on making a post which supports two wooden mailboxes. I'm thinking of the materials being either cedar or cypress. The roofs will probably be old shingles or left over sheet metal. I think it'll be a fun project. But I was wondering, What is...
  20. J

QSWO Side Table Completed

Hello and good evening! I just recently finished this side table. It's been a long time coming but I'm so happy and so relieved to finally see it completed! This is my first piece of furniture and my first major project at home. Many hours after school and weekends of sweat have went into it...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS