Search results

1. wwian

Free - Molding Heads Cutting Set

Hey Folks! I inherited this set and I don't have any intention of using it. While the case is not in great shape, the heads and molding head appear to be brand new. SO, I'm giving it away to one of you! I live in North Raleigh, near Six Forks Rd & 540. We can arrange a porch pick-up.
  2. wwian

[question] How to apply finish to board edges?

Hey Folks! I am building a desk for my son and have applied finish to the sides of the shelf supports. All good. However, I'm in a pickle as to how to support more than one or two of these boards in order to apply finish the edges. I know that I could build a jig with nails and support one or...
  3. wwian

Curved Rectangle Drawer Hole Jig?

Hello! I'm working on a desk for my son and I want to include drawer pull openings like the ones shown in the attached photo. And I'm curious as to 1) do these holes in drawers have an actual name? and 2) is there a jig that I can buy or make? Yes, I could drill two Forstner holes and then the...
  4. wwian

Shelf Pin Cutout?

Sure did! Thanks!!!
  5. wwian

Shelf Pin Cutout?

Hey Folks! I'm working on some adjustable shelves for my son's desk. I have the Kreg jig to drill the pin holes. But I want to add a "cutout" (like in the photo below) in the bottom of each shelf for it to rest on the pin to try to stop them from sliding out. Any suggestions on how to go about...
  6. wwian

Alternative to Kreg brand screws?

Hey Folks, [At the risk of starting another pocket screw argument, I'm not asking for comments about using pocket screws.] I'm going to be building a lot of drawers for some upcoming projects, using a lot of pocket screws. Have any of you to found a reliable brand cheaper than Kreg brand...
  7. wwian

The Highland Woodworker: Episode 44

This was a great video to watch! A nice break from being with the family for the last 36 hours. LOL In this episode of The Highland Woodworker, they interview George Wurtzel, who was born with a degenerative eye disease that left him unsighted by the age of twenty. In our “Moment with a Master”...
  8. wwian

[QUESTION] Picture frame backing?

So going between Lowes and HD, I found a 3/16" chalkboard panel that I think will work perfectly! https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dimensions-Black-Chalk-Board-Common-3-16-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-0-180-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-151267/203408981
  9. wwian

[QUESTION] Picture frame backing?

I am building my first shadow box frame. I have run a groove in the back of the frame for a backing. However, I don’t know what to use for the backing. With it being a shadow box the backing won’t have anything to support it. I looked at using luan. But it seems too thick. Do you have any...
  10. wwian

What type of cut is this? (And how do I do it?)

Hey Folks! Can anyone tell me what type of cut this is called? And more specifically, where/ how I can learn to make this type of cut & assembly for a cabinet? Many thanks for your wisdoms! Ian
  11. wwian

[QUESTION] Glass for custom shadow box?

Thanks. Yes, I've looked into that. This is my 1) first miter frame I've cut, 2) first shadow box I've built, 3) first glass-cutting-insert I've done. :-) So far, so good... I built a miter jig for the table saw (also the first) and the corners are tight and razor-sharp.
  12. wwian

[QUESTION] Glass for custom shadow box?

Hey Folks! I'm building my first shadow box and my wife wants me to use glass instead of plexi. Does anyone in the Raleigh-area know where I can get a piece of glass cut or know where I can get a small piece of glass that I might try to cut to size? Thanks! Ian
  13. wwian

[QUESTION] Mold on Bamboo

Hey Folks! I was offered some bamboo cabinet lumber for free... however, it's been sitting in a basement for "years" and it covered in mold (see photos). From looking at the photos, do you think this wood is salvageable or should I (sadly) just toss it? Thanks for any wisdoms you can share! Ian
  14. wwian

Plywood Supply (other than big box)?

Thank you, all, for your replies. Basically, it’s either big box plywood or high dollar ply. But at least I now know where to go. Again, thank you for sharing your wisdoms. Cheers, Ian
  15. wwian

Plywood Supply (other than big box)?

Hi Folks! I'm not quite ready to step up to buy and use Baltic birch plywood yet. So, for Sande/ Maple/ Birch/ Whitewood type plywoods, are there any (local) suppliers other than an HD or Lowes? I live in Raleigh. I went to 84 Lumber. But, they weren't very helpful and told me they really...
  16. wwian

For Sale: Delta 12" Bandsaw, Model 28-190

Yes please!!! Where are you located?
  17. wwian

router collet too tight?

Thanks for all your replies!!! I'm new at all this. And youtube can only get you so far sometimes. LOL My router is a Bosch 1617 that has a 1/4" SR collet & a 1/2" SR collet. I cleaned the inside of the collet and my bit shaft with Simple Green and then added some dry lube to both. Didn't help...
  18. wwian

router collet too tight?

Hey Folks! I am just now getting into learning how to use my router and router table. The router was given to me and is about 8 years old. I bought a basic set of bit and tried to use one today. However, when I went to insert the bit into the collet, it was damn near impossible to get it in. I...
  19. wwian

2nd CHANCE PHENOLIC RUN!

Hey Bruce! Thank for the reply and all the updates. After seeing how much acrylic would cost to make a couple of inserts, do I want to know how much the phenolic you are holding costs? I’m not overly concerned about a color, except maybe not pink. I have a Delta 36-725 saw.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors