Search results

1. riggsp

Is There a Decent Staple Gun Out There?

If you are doing upholstery work, I would suggest a Porter-Cable 22 ga 3/8" crown stapler. I've used one extensively for furniture and boat upholstery projects with no problems...I mostly use stainless steel staples so they don't rust. It's listed at Acme Tools and others as Porter-Cable...
  2. riggsp

New CNC project

I changed my mind about the candle holder and made a walking cane instead...I turned and tapered the shaft on my CNC rotary, and made the handle from a piece of 2 x 2 walnut stock left over from the original carving...no where near perfect, but I'm well pleased.
  3. riggsp

Bobs CNC Router

I had a customer/friend that bought a Bob's CNC because he thought it was a good deal...the machine never performed as well as advertised...the plywood construction was not strong enough, the belt drives were constantly in need of adjustment, and the electronics had to be replaced 3 times and...
  4. riggsp

New CNC project

Thanks everyone.
  5. riggsp

New CNC project

I've been playing around with the new 4th axis on my CNC machine...this is the latest project "just to see if I could". I started with a piece of walnut 2" square and 12" long...I used a 3/4" bowl bit to take the corners off to 2" diameter, then used a 1/16" diameter tapered ballnose bit to...
  6. riggsp

What CNC’s do you all have, and what software are you using for CAD/CAM?

Self designed home built 3' x 4' aluminum and steel machine running Centroid Acorn controller...4th axis rotary indexer with 100mm chuck, and 14 watt Jtech laser...I use Vectric Aspire for design software and sometimes I use Rhinoceros 7 for CAD.
  7. riggsp

CNC Router Forum

Sketchup drawing files can be imported into Vectric for generating toolpaths and machine code.
  8. riggsp

CNC Router Forum

Thanks...it's a ball to drive, and gets lots of attention...mostly "What is it?"
  9. riggsp

CNC Router Forum

I can help anyone in the Charlotte area
  10. riggsp

CNC Router Forum

Price list from Vectric's website attached.
  11. riggsp

First Try

Thanks...It's a 1978 model...true barn find...didn't run when I got it, and had to trailer it home...I did a lot of work to get it to where it is now...oil and water leaks, clutch, gas tank, carb rebuild, refit doors and windshield...I can go out right now, start it up and drive it anywhere.
  12. riggsp

First Try

Just to add to Chris' answer...my CNC is a self designed homebuilt, made of steel and aluminum...I've been running it for a little over 8 years now.
  13. riggsp

First Try

Chris...At first, I found "z" zero by touching the tool to the top of the tail stock, move to the side in either "x" or"y" (which ever axis gives clearance), lower the "z" to the rotational center of the tail stock and reset "z" zero...I have a "z" touchplate, so now I have a set-up block that...
  14. riggsp

First Try

Thanks everyone...Chris, I'm programming with Vectric Aspire, and my CNC has a Centroid Acorn controller...Home built aluminum and steel machine, 3' x 4' table surface, and 3 hp air cooled spindle...also have a 14 watt J-tech laser, and the rotary indexer has a 100mm chuck.
  15. riggsp

First Try

This is the first try with my new rotary (4th axis) indexer on my CNC router...I started with a 12"- 3" x 3" piece of cherry...I used the oldest cheapest bits I had just in case there was a problem...1/2" straight carbide bit for the rough turning, and a 1/8" tapered ballnose bit for the 3d...
  16. riggsp

Thin Kerf Saw Blade Question

Thin kerf blades are no problem for Sawstop saws...They do have a thin kerf riving knife available for use with TK blades.
  17. riggsp

Thin Kerf Saw Blade Question

I use thin kerf blades all the time...takes less power to turn it through dense woods.
  18. riggsp

? Carbon Coating/Method

Thanks Scott...It's a 1978 true barn find, non-running when I got it.
  19. riggsp

? Carbon Coating/Method

I did it last year on three machines (table saw, jointer, and planer) for one of my customers...Last I heard from him, the finish is holding up and no rust...as with most things, preparation is key the to success.
  20. riggsp

Latest project

For my grand-daughter that just graduated from University of South Carolina.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS