Search results

1. B

All decked out

2. B

Okay, what gives with this?

###? Both are alleged 8' 1x4 premium pine boards, yet one is 6 1/8" shorter than the other. I have never come across this much difference before.
  3. B

A milestone tomorrow on the deck build

Tomorrow would be Beth's birthday had she not died in January. For those of you who remember, the deck build was in the works already then, but we added the 10x10 section which will be her memorial garden. The green risers will hold plants and her ash container, the deck will be stained the...
  4. B

Building a big deck

Has eaten my brain. Made my knees and back hurt. Left more scrapes and bruises on me than I care to think of. Sweated more than a man my age should. And has been a blast, figuring out things, fixing problems, adapting to reality. I used to do construction years ago, and it has made me remember...
  5. B

What is your favorite?

on woodworking videos 1. I am pre-drilling the holes. No, stupid, you are drilling the holes. 2. Just shooting some brads in there to hold it until the glue dries. Are you going to remove them when it does? 3. Other
  6. B

For you wooden tool fans (you know who you are!)

A wooden plow plane I came across. Sharpened the blade, and Bob's-yer-uncle. This one is interesting, as it can double as a rabbet plane as well.
  7. B

Porter Cable Drill Press at Lowes

$110 for the 5-speed 10-in benchtop one. Best price I could find online was 165, with military discount, quite a deal. Not a replacement for my much-missed Delta, but at least I can bore straight holes now with more ease.
  8. B

When did size numbers get so small on drill bits?

Harrumph. And, hey, you KIDS... GET OFF MY LAWN!
  9. B

Anyone else get the email from FWW about a "NEW TOOL FOR DAD" ?

Which was an ad for a massively expensive bench dog system from Woodpeckers, $299 for bench dogs and hold downs! Got a good laugh on an otherwise crappy day.
  10. B

Wood mizer (or similar) near Asheville?

Just dropped several Hickory and Oak trees. Hickory is 40' long and 10-12" diameter and straight. No rot. Hate to see it go to firewood.
  11. B

How many clamps do you have

Just finished trying to get them all corralled and on one board, much better than the scattered method I had been doing. I have 72
  12. B

First angled use of my massive miter slider

Made it a while ago, but only used it for 90deg cuts up to now. Modeled it after a sliding table I had seen on a Ryobi table saw from 20 years ago or so. These are destined to be legs for an adirondack chair... unless I mess them up.
  13. B

Hey, ya'll

Some of you probably remember our daughter died of an OD in Jan. Not been doing too much, except crying, since then. Finally did knock together this ramp system for my aging 100lb dog. She loves it, my back loves not having to lift her anymore, my wife's bad knee likes it. Win, win, win. Fine...
  14. B

Octagon water well covering

Have been ordered by SWMBO to make a wishing well-type covering for our existing ugly pipe-sticking-up water well. Okay, so it evolved into making an octagonal box, 20in high with 20in radius, for lack of a better term. 2x4s for framing, plywood inside and out with insulation between. Has to be...
  15. B

Epoxying Smooth Aluminum

Anyone have experience in epoxying smooth aluminum to baltic birch plywood? The glue package says to rough up smooth surfaces, I wonder how much. Sandpaper? Shallow grooves like some t-track? random scratches? how much is enough? That top rail needs to be connected to the underside of a sheet...
  16. B

T-Track with 1/4 20 bolt heads?

I guess this is Project Design... anyway, anyone use 1/4 20 bolts in T-Track? Seems like there is too much slop, as they don't quite fill the gap. I know, order the T-nuts online. But I was just thinking.
  17. B

Table saw workstation from old table top

Over the decades, I have had a number of tablesaws from jury-rigged to Delta Unis. Right now I am limited for space to a porch, and so went with a cheap Porter Cable one. For what I paid, it is okay, but I want 24" to the right of the blade and more space in front of the blade. So, I eyeballed...
  18. B

Hello from Asheville Area

Name is Bill, been woodworking since, well, forever. Father and both grandfathers were dabblers, I guess I caught the bug early. Been out of it for a few years following a divorce, some health issues and forced downsizing during the recent financial downturn fun. Had to shed all my machines...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS