Search results

1. J

Current Burial Urns Inventory

Raymond, my wife has several wooden urns similar to the one in the photo...all are different, made of rosewood but looks like pine to me....well made from India. She also has some like the photo of the porcelain coated metal one...none are alike. Not sure how many we have but we could dig...
  2. J

Looking to buy rough cut hardwood near New Bern, NC

You need to go to the Hardwood Store at least one time....It is a long trip but they have a wonderful selection of hardwoods and exotic woods. They also have a good selection of plywood that you can't find anywhere else. On the way through Raleigh you could visit Klingspors and Woodcraft. Tell...
  3. J

Relocating for retirement

I lived in New Bern for 6 years and it is a really good place to live. In Eastern NC look at locations that are out of the hurricane flood zone. The Trent Woods area in New Bern would be my pick there. New Bern has good medical, golf, water sports, culture and a short drive to the ocean...
  4. J

YouTube Woodworking

Anna White ...You Tube, does a lot home projects....She really does a lot of basic projects but she gives a lot of advice on how to do a project more simply and easy....I think the macho men in us tends to make things more difficult than needed..you can take her simple but well thought out...
  5. J

Best joints for plywood

Just to play around with biscuits I did a few red kneck tests. I put 3 biscuits in the ends of a 10 inch shelving board 32 inches long. I inserted the board between two vertical boards in a typical shelving arrangement. I stood on the shelving board and the biscuits held my weight with no...
  6. J

Best joints for plywood

A single biscuit joint may seem to have little strength but projects consist of many joints and components that support each other. I refer you to the Biscuit Joiner Project Book by Jim Stack. The book has plans for a bookcase, dresser, chest of drawers, and many other projects. Most of us...
  7. J

Best joints for plywood

Dado joints are very easy to make and strong plus they are good at keeping parts aligned. Dowels make strong joints and are pretty easy if you have a good jig. If you just have to get it done in a hurry it is hard to beat screws...pocket screws or screws and plugs.....screw hole plugs can make...
  8. J

Toybox Bookcase

I just completed this toybox bookcase project for my little nephew. This is definitely not fine woodworking but it presented a challenge to me because it is hard to do big projects in my small shop. As I have gotten older large pieces are difficult for me to handle. I made the bookcase and toy...
  9. J

Watco wipe on poly

I am finishing a bookcase toybox project for a family member.. I used Watco wiping varnish and it nearly ruined the project.....too thick and dries too rough. I couldn't find Minwax anywhere locally....I have used Minwax on dozens of projects and it always works flawlessly. I thinned the Watco...
  10. J

Nova 1624 II?

My 1624 Nova does all I need..I have turned some large bowls. The lathe as is does not have enough weight to allow large turnings. All you need to do is add weight or bolt it to the floor....I bolted mine to the floor with lag bolts and it works fine...
  11. J

Craftsman router lathe crafter

I found the handle, instructions, and hardware packet....not sure where you live but it looks like you have options. I am in Burlington. I wonder if anybody really made any wonderful things with this. I played with it a while and just never needed a curly stick.
  12. J

Nova 16-24

I had a Delta mini lathe before getting the Nova...the Nova was much better in performance and able to do larger turnings....since I will never be a full time turner the Nova is all the lathe I need. Nova has lots of chucks and other support items for the lathe...you can add an extension and...
  13. J

Craftsman router lathe crafter

I have the Router Crafter....missing the crank but a 1/2 inch socket will turn it. I replaced one of the plastic pulleys with one of oak...seems to work fine. The name plate is cracked but does not affect function. No instructions. I think they are on line. It is yours if you are wiling to...
  14. J

Nova 16-24

I have had mine many years. Simple to operate. Belt speed changes are very easy and quick. You just need to get it loaded or firmly bolted to the floor. I have turned some pretty good sized bowls and a lot of pens on mine. I have the extension and legs which add weight. Never had any...
  15. J

Leon Harkins' family request

You have a lot of valuable wood and equipment....your family deserves a fair price. Hopefully you can get one of the members of this forum who lives near by help you determine a fair value...It might be worthwhile to pay someone a small percentage of the sale price to help you. It would be real...
  16. J

Uses for Holly ?

I had a holly tree processed and dried by Scott Smith a few years ago. The tree was cut in cold weather and processed within a week or so of cutting down. Scott processed it as soon as I delivered and dried it in his solar kiln....after a month or so the wood was ready. The cost was...
  17. J

Holly for sale. 1.875in x 8in x 94.5in board (actual size). Old. $250

If the holly is free of knots and white this would be a fair price. I have 15 to 20 holly boards in my stash about 8 inche's wide by 8 ft....It is hard to find any knot free wood of any size....beautiful for accents and inlays. Holly is rare and clear white holly wood is very rare.
  18. J

Little Red Tubes

I have used electrical wire insulation after pulling the copper wire out.....seems like it was phone wire or bell wire. I think I scraped the end a little to get a good fit...McGiver fix but it worked.
  19. J

I know how not to make picture frames...

I have never made a perfect picture frame. I try for not wonky.....Definitely a lot more difficult than most woodworking projects....You just can't hide a hair out of square on 4 joints.
  20. J

Barber Chair Work bench for sale

I have had this unique work bench for a long time. I do not know who built it or the original use of the bench...I suspect it was a carver or luthier. The hardwood top is about 22 by 30 inches, the vise opens 4 + inches and has 16 inch wide jaws. The bottom is a fully functional barber chair...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS