Search results

1. C

CNC Miter-Fold Octagonal Box

Thanks Phil and Joe. It has been a fun learning project (You noticed the pile of shame photo -- lots of learning going on.)
  2. C

CNC Miter-Fold Octagonal Box

Years ago, I found a picture showing how to cut a rectangular miter-fold box. The concept is straightforward – cut miters almost, but not quite, through the wood, leaving a thin, foldable outer skin. Fold the box and glue it, and you’re done. I had forgotten the miter-fold concept while I spent...
  3. C

Progress on Metal Inlay Box

Hmmm...rotary axis. Now your talking :)
  4. C

Phillip, I imagine most anything is possible. The X-Carve, even with the Z-axis extension, still only has about 4-5 inches of z clearance, and the box is nearly 6-inches in diameter. If this were a production piece, say the first of 100 copies, boring the side holes on the drill press would...
  5. C

Well, I'm getting close. After competing with holiday activities, I was able to get back to the box, and nearly finish it. Photo 1 - shows the completed exterior. Once all the inlay was done, I gave the walnut three coats of Tung oil, letting it sit for 10 minutes or so after application, then...
  6. C

Ahh -- great minds thinking alike :) I'm glad you mentioned that. Making a "working" lid to insert into the body before drilling the holes, to keep the edge stiff for drilling, would have been my first go-to. But this time, I decided to change the pocket structure of the box, so had to cut a new...
  7. C

One thing I forgot to mention in my post above, about cutting the holes around the sides of the box. I haven't done enough drill press work to realize that it takes a good deal of pressure to cut a 7/8 inch hole in dry walnut. With the insides of the box cut on the CNC machine, I clamped it up...
  8. C

I've now lightly sanded the box, given it a couple coats of Danish oil, then three coats of satin lacquer. It turns out the hardest part of that process was the shallow holes around the periphery, where the metal tokens were to be installed. In a more traditional box, constructed with discrete...
  9. C

**SOLD** FOR SALE: Pinnacle Pen Turning 5 Piece Chisel Set, $40

OK, the deal is done. Thanks again, SabertoothBunn, for your interest. I'm sure you will be able to grab the next good deal :)
  10. C

Thanks, Sabertooth, I will let you know as soon as the deal is done, or not done. Thanks for your interest.
  11. C

My pen turning career was short, and this set of 5 turning chisels was used only once. It is billed as a great addition to any turners kit, for smaller turning projects. Set includes 1/8" and 1/4" spindle gouges, 1/8" parting tool, 1/4" round nose scraper, and 1/4" skew chisel. Tools are...
  12. C

Thanks. No, the interior walls are straight up and down, done with a 1/4" end mill. I couldn't mill the medallion pockets because the box is 5 inches across, and I don't have that much Z height. The exterior is done with the same 1/4" end mill. Yes, the stepover could have been a little tighter...
  13. C

Well, Murphy's Law is not a thing of the past -- old Murphy is still out there doing his thing. Pretty much everything that could go wrong, has, but finally I yelled at the machine enough to make it work right. The 12-sided base to the box is now done. It's still rough, right off the CNC, but...
  14. C

**SOLD** JET 10-20 plus OPEN-SIDED BENCH-TOP DRUM SANDER

Wow -- Jerry has already made the funds transfer, and we are good to go. 10:00am tomorrow would be perfect. I look forward to seeing you. Thanks again for your willingness to help.
  15. C

Hank, I don't care what anybody says, you the man :) Thanks so much for your very kind offer. Jerry may already have called you -- he will be stopping at the next rest stop, and will try to do a PayPal transfer. Assuming that all goes well, I would love to see you again tomorrow morning, and we...
  16. C

I'm looking forward to seeing it completed too -- it's turning out to be an involved project, but so far, going well.
  17. C

Next step was to perfect the cutting of the 6 small tokens that will be inlaid in the sides of the box. On the third attempt the fates were smiling, and I was able to complete the pattern, feeds and speeds to cut all six in one go, from a 1 X 6.5 inch piece of 1/8 inch brass. Next is to cut the...
  18. C

JET 10-20 plus OPEN-SIDED BENCH-TOP DRUM SANDER, $400 This is the older Jet sander – there are newer ones this size, most sell for around $1,200. I got this one a few years ago when I was building small cabinets and Pennsylvania spice boxes, and had to glue up and sand boards to get the required...
  19. C

A while ago I asked some questions about inlaying metal in wood. I feel comfortable enough now to give it a try. Step 1: Cut & patina the 3inch brass medallion that will be inset on the box lid. Step 2: Cut & patina the (6) 1-inch medallions that will be inlaid around the outside of the 12-sided...
  20. C

CNC Bits

I've had good luck with the Amana Spektra end mills, but have to be very careful cutting brass with the .065 bit. Generally it works, but it is so small that the slightest aberration in the metal, or other unusual factors, breaks the bit. At $40 per, that gets expensive. I'm looking for a less...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS