Search results

1. kelLOGg

Can this window be repaired?

I have decided to seek a repair person's help. I've got too much going on with the preparation for moving. I love DIYing but I'm too stressed out to take it on. If the estimate is too high I will change my mind.
  2. kelLOGg

Thanks for the input. I will google it.
  3. kelLOGg

16 yo.
  4. kelLOGg

We have 3 double hung windows where the spring-loaded tensioner has broken loose from the window frame side making it nearly impossible to open. We are selling the house and have just discovered these problems. We almost never raise the windows so it went undetected for a long time. My fear of...
  5. kelLOGg

I need a chair leg replaced

The plot thickens. I don't know what approach I will take but I know it will not be soon. Wife and I are moving into retirement home (Croasdaile) in a month or so, so "repair" or whatever won't take place until after that. ugh.
  6. kelLOGg

More good info. I like the spline idea because it involves initially gluing the break back together in situ assuring the curvature of the leg is oriented properly. Right? Then the leg could be removed for the making the spline slot and inserting it. FWIW, I am adding a closeup of the leg, notch...
  7. kelLOGg

I just watched 2 of the videos and they boosted my confidence in how to use the dowels. Maybe that's what mquan01 was talking about. Thanks again.
  8. kelLOGg

Tone, The rear legs are about 1.25" dia. at the seat and have a notch 0.25" deep and 0.75" long in them to receive the seat. I assume the notch bears most of the weight of the seat. All 6 chairs are made the same way. Is "running a handsaw through the break" for the purpose of making the 2...
  9. kelLOGg

Thanks, Mike. Your response sounds realistic to me. I knew this is going to be a time-consuming job. Brian is in Asheville - a bit of a travel.
  10. kelLOGg

The screw hole would go through the dowel.
  11. kelLOGg

We have a set of six 100+ year-old dining room chairs from my wife's family and one of them has a broken leg. We a looking for someone to make and install a new leg. It requires bending and is something I should not undertake. Any takers? or recommendations of one?
  12. kelLOGg

Lazy Susan

Being only 4" square i think they may be prone to tilt and the lazy susan could scrape the base. My potential lazy susan measures 16" x 19" (ash cookie) so a small amount of tilt would be problematic. Is my concern realistic?
  13. kelLOGg

Lazy Susan

I bought a mechanism to use as a lazy susan for a wide cookie I cut. It rattled so much as it rotated I never used it. A friend suggested it might be very useful when family is gathered around the dinner table and the conversation turns to politics. " Anyone want more gravy" and rotate the server.
  14. kelLOGg

Router guide ideas

I decided it is too much to make a general purpose guide for a router so I've laid the project out and marked the slots which I will cut on a radial arm saw and smooth up the cuts with a chisel.
  15. kelLOGg

Router guide ideas

Thanks for the replies, but I'm trying to steer clear of using a table saw for 2 reasons; 1) the diagonals I want to slot are 8+ ft long and my shop is too crowded for that, and 2) I'll be moving to a retirement home (too) soon and there's no space for a table saw. The workbench I am building...
  16. kelLOGg

Router guide ideas

I am making a work bench which will have diagonal bracing in the back and the diagonals will have slots routed in them where they intersect to make them flush. Rather than making a guide for this specific project I want to make an adjustable one so it can be use in a variety of projects where...
  17. kelLOGg

Oak? Identification

The bark does look more like SG than maple bark.
  18. kelLOGg

Oak? Identification

Looks like spalted maple to me.
  19. kelLOGg

Another First

That looks very good to me! ... and that it was made from wood that someone thought should be burned just adds more to the story.
  20. kelLOGg

Gutter guards for pine needles?

Leaves are easy to block but pine needles, not so. I have aluminum coverings with small holes (~1/8") over my gutters; the pine trees aim very well, hit the hole and the needles pass into my cistern where they rot and cause a buildup on the bottom of the cistern. It is interesting that 2 of you...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS