Search results

1. B

Best table saw (NOT Sawstop)

As I mentioned in my note, find "a nice old one". That one would not classify as a nice old one. However without turning it on, listening to it, looking at the mechanism, the motor, putting a dial indicator on the arbor you really do not know. I am not sure that is rust on it, you would need...
  2. B

What color workshop floor would you do?

Hi I know I am a bit late to this thread, but the color I choose was Dutch Boy Porch and Floor Tile Red. The paint was put down after all the walls, HVAC, and electrical was completed, no tools etc. The floors were scrubbed with TSP and rinsed several times. It was rolled on. It has been...
  3. B

Best table saw (NOT Sawstop)

I have a 1976 Unisaw I purchased new, in 47 years it has not missed a beat. Find yourself a nice old one and it will likely out last your use for one. My guess is mine will be sold when I can no longer use a shop and it will still be going strong. BTW I could not afford a Powermatic at the...
  4. B

Am I the only one?

I am a little late to this, and posted a message like this to a similar thread somewhere. When I purchased my Unisaw in 1977 about the only place you got them was from a commercial supply house that sold machinery of all types. I purchased a 14” band saw at the same time. The delivery truck...
  5. B

Drill bit Sharpening

I use a TDR drill grinder I picked up at a flea market about 15 years ago for dirt cheep could not afford a new one. Fastest sharpener I know to get the lips and relief angles in just a few passes. Does split point also. I got in the habit of using it often to keep drills sharp, do not wait...
  6. B

Sharpening Drill Bits

A bit late to this, I use a TDR sharpener. Found it at flea market with several attachments. Can easily and quickly sharpen drill like in less than minute once you get good at putting it in the holder. Adjustments for many point angles, relief angles, parabolic. It is a bit expensive, I...
  7. B

Band saw dust collection, proof of concept

Scott I sympathize with your dilemma on the DC. About 6 years ago I installed my third system, having moved the shop three times over the last 45 years. I put a complete writup on it in the former NC Forum system, which had a nice index that you could display, read titles, and find uploaded...
  8. B

Home workshop insurance

May I make a suggestion. I have had several insurance companies over the last 45 years and I have had rather large shops. They contain both metal working tools and woodworking, lots of them. On advice of an agent way back in the 70's I requested from each insurance company whenever I changed...
  9. B

Compressed air piping

I worked with Harris technical department on what solder to use to avoid any problems at 175 PSI line pressure. I told them I had stay brite 8 . Asked if their 95/5 would handle those pressures on type L pipe and fittings. He quoted me several tables and advised that either would have no...
  10. B

Compressed air piping

Hi Some of it depends on your layout. For example, distance from your compressor to furthest drop, how many drops, etc. Make a drawing (see attached example) it will help. I had been acquiring parts for an air line but just kept using air hose and portable small tanks. Finally, after about 6...
  11. B

How to get a drill bit to enter and exit at exactly where you want it to go

Just a couple of things that help. First and foremost the drill bit must be sharpened correctly, both lips exact. If they are not one side of the bit takes off material at a different rate than the other and the bit will go off center. You want the drill to enter where you want it. Using a...
  12. B

What is the best Lithium-ion hand tool brand?

Update on the Dewalt batteries that I have purchased. I have 2 of 2 aH and 2 of the 5 aH. The 5 aH I got on october 27 and charged them full. I remember just putting the 2 aH ones on the charger that day also. As of today, November 30, I have not used the 2 aH ones at all, both check all...
  13. B

What is the best Lithium-ion hand tool brand?

I opted to upgrade to the 20V battery. I have 6 Dewalt tools that all work just fine and are in really good shape. Waiting for sales on the adapter and the batteries over the last six months let me score a charger, 2 of the 2 amp and 2 of the 5 amp, and 5 adapters. I paid far less than...
  14. B

Delta 22580 Planer

A friend just called me and is all of sudden having a problem getting boards to feed through the planer - a Delta 22580. It was working fine and he had replaced the blades. It continue working and then today will not feed wood. He is planing some very well dried 3/4" oak down to 1/2". He...
  15. B

Bought my first Tractor

Hi Thats a lot grass. Do you have any neighbors who could bail it an use for feed? I have a similar sized fields and one neighbor bailed it for years, he raised horses and liked my grass because thats all it was ie was grass. He fed to his "fat" horses. Fellow stopped raising horses, now I...
  16. B

Woodshop Preference

My wood shop is 13' x 35'x 10' ceiling, inside a 30' x 60' building. That 13' dimension is a killer for long boards, even 8'. You would think that is enough space, but with shelves and cabinets on the walls, lights hanging from the ceiling etc you get fouled up. I agree with Mike I would go...
  17. B

#1 Grade 2x4?

I do not know if you have any "real" lumber yards in your area. I find the quality of the lumber much better than the local Home depot or other box stores. Been awhile since I was looking for really clear boards but the lumber yards used to carry clear pine in various dimensions again been...
  18. B

Dust collection in a small shop

Go over to the resources section and take a look at my installation of the Pro 2000 installation for some additional ideas, https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?resources/categories/tutorials.22/ Bob
  19. B

Suggestions on shop de-humidifier

I understand your issue with an AC unit. My shop building is 30' x 60' x10' ceiling, insulated tight, no windows. My biggest problem was getting an HVAC company to install a system to my specs and not what their computer system told them to put in. They wanted about a 3ton system. That...
  20. B

Machine cleaning & waxing

When I purchased my Unisaw in 1977 about the only place you got them was from a commercial supply house that sold machinery of all types. I purchased a 14” bandsaw at the same time. The delivery truck pulls up two big guys get out and carry the saws into the basement, set them up, show me how...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS