Search results

1. David Turner

Negative rake scrapers?

As I continue to struggle with getting a smooth cut with my bowl gouge, I look for a better way than the 80-grit sanding paper. Lot of hype on YouTube about negative rake scrapers being the solution to tear out. I have a regular scraper that I have tried, and it does little to nothing to improve...
  2. David Turner

Tormek Grinding Wheel Change

I am considering changing my Tormek to a diamond grinding wheel. In looking at the instruction manual it says the wheel has right hand thread, but the picture and caption shows the hex nut being tightened by rotating clockwise. I thought right hand thread was loosened by rotating clockwise. Advise?
  3. David Turner

Spindle or Bowl Gouge(s)?

Bought these from a high school shop class that was closing. I am sure the two on the right are bowl gouges and the 4 TH from the right is a roughing gouge. What are all the others.? Spindle gouge?
  4. David Turner

Period Furniture Construction on YouTube

If you enjoy and/or build period style furniture, then check out Tom Smoller on YouTube. @Papa's workshop.
  5. David Turner

Chevalet Construction: American Period Furniture journal by Jim Creasman

The Society of American Period Furniture Makers just published their yearly journal. Jim along with 2 other associates has a very detailed article on the construction of a chevalet. "If you are serious about marquetry, you need a chevalet."
  6. David Turner

Wanted 8/4 Hard Maple

Need 12-15 bd ft of 8/4 hard maple. Neighbor wants a bread kneading board 24” square by 1 3/4” thick. Klingspor is out of 8/4 and I hate to drive to Gibsonville for such a small amount.
  7. David Turner

Wanted walnut knee blocks for a Q.A. Stool

Need 12 pieces of walnut for knee blocks. They need to be about 3" x 3" x 3" (cube) Anybody got some cutoffs? David Turner
  8. David Turner

Florip Saws?

Has anyone heard of an update on Mr. Florip's medical condition. Last item I saw was quite a while ago on a go fund me page or similar requesting donations for medical expenses. I was at Woodcraft today and noticed they had a Florip dovetail saw in stock, so I asked the manager Herb what he...
  9. David Turner

THE CRAFTSMAN, I get it on The Magnolia Network

THE CRAFTSMAN is about a master woodworker/master philosopher, Eric Hollenbeck, that has been in the millwork business for 48 years in Eureka, Calif. All the shop equipment is late 1800's or early 1900's and he does outstanding work. Also available is all the previous seasons of FIXER UPPER (I...
  10. David Turner

Hand Tools

Ed's tool shop above Roy's place in Pittsboro will be closing for good come August of 2023. I am sure he will have reduced prices in an effort to reduce the inventory. Check him out. Roy's closing his school also; they are both retiring.
  11. David Turner

Inspiration?

After finishing the John Townsend Knee Hole Bureau (see below) over a year ago, I was burnt out. For months now I have walked out in the shop and looked around at all the covered tools, turned and went back in the house to watch TV. I can't remember in my 50 years of woodworking lacking any...
  12. David Turner

Bowl Gouge ?

Still waiting for that ah-ha moment. Start out using the bowl gouge but soon revert back to the carbide insert tools. Of course that means endless time sanding with 60 or 80 grit to deal with the end grain tear out. Have taken lessons and watched numerious hours on YouTube but just can't grasp...
  13. David Turner

Turning Club In Raleigh?

I see a group meets in Farmville (hours Drive). Are there other groups in a closer proximity?
  14. David Turner

Dovetail saws almost complete

Just about finished with these four dovetail saws. Making them as gifts for some woodworker friends.
  15. David Turner

Good News: Mahogany has been found

Good News ! Klingspor had three 3" x 3" x 8-0" African mahogany (leg) pieces. Now I have at least 4 pcs for a highboy or lowboy w/ cabreole legs. (maybe ball & Claw) Not sure about a highboy as it needs 12/4 pieces wide enough to cut the top swan mouldings. Going to have to look around and see...
  16. David Turner

Wanted Mahogany Leg Stock 3" x 3" x 36"

12/4 stock purchased from Murdock last year has a hidden defect so now I have three leg blanks instead of four. David Turner North Raleigh
  17. David Turner

How about "Making Saws Thursday"

At the far back is a tenon saw with a spalted maple handle, next is a gent's saw that I re-handled with a cherry grip, panel saw to the right is a Keaton reproduction 5 1/2 points rip that will have a crotch walnut handle, and to the left is four dovetail saws that have curly/tiger maple...
  18. David Turner

How about "Hedge Apple" Wednesday

Thank you Chris Black for the chunk of Osage Orange ! That black streak at the bottom is not a crack, it is the darker grain showing through.
  19. David Turner

Well how about a little Tool Box Tuesday

Hand Tool Storage
  20. David Turner

London Pattern Chisel Handles-Plans

Anybody have plans/templates for these octagon handles? Neighbor has asked me to replace his plastic handles on his chisels.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS