Search results

1. J

Tapered Recessed Drawer Face ?

I'm trying to come up with a unique accent / look to a pair of drawer fronts for my hanging walnut tea cabinet. Ideally this would become my "signature design feature". I really like the look of the Greene & Greene tapered indent detail typically reserved for legs and want to try and see if I...
  2. J

Cabinet Back too Thin ?

I'm building a hanging walnut tea cabinet (roughly 26" tall x 6" deep x 13" wide). The back panel I planned on using 3 shiplap ambrosia maple boards. However, upon further review of my design I see that my SketchUp file calls for 1/4" thick back slats. I purchased 4/4 (7/8") kiln dried ambrosia...
  3. J

Dead Blow Hammer

I have a few projects coming up using various wood species (both soft & hardwoods) with lots of different joinery where I'll likely need a dead blow hammer. I've always used a regular hammer and a block of wood to project the project wood but I've always seen and wondered if a dead blow hammer...
  4. J

Tapered Indent/Recess Design Feature

I’ve been looking but can’t find an exact example of the design feature that’s in my mind for what I’d like to incorporate into “my style” for not only table legs but drawer fronts or whatever else and inverted as a shadow line (tapering out from top down) rather than a tiny area to collect...
  5. J

Flat Top Grind Table Saw Blade

Looking for opinions on recommendations for a flat top grind 10" table saw blade ? Not wanting to break the bank here as it won't get used much. Thanks !
  6. J

French Cleats for Hanging Small Cabinets

I'm designing a hanging tea cabinet and am going to use a French cleat for hanging it. It's ~25-1/2" tall x 13" wide x 6-1/2" deep from 5/8" & 1/2" walnut, 1/4" shiplap ambrosia maple back, and small drawers. It'll hold (4) 38oz glass sealable jars for loose tea and two drawers for tea bags...
  7. J

Shelf max width from 1/2 stock

I'm designing a small spice rack to go next to our stove. It'll be made from sapele that I'm planning to mill to a ~1/2 thickness. The shelves will span a 22-1/2" area, will be 3" wide and the spices are mostly very light weight in plastic jars. I'll also have a strip of 1/8" x 1/8" maple on the...
  8. J

Lumber from fb Marketplace

Questions regarding facebook Marketplace lumber purchases... Has anyone purchased lumber from the facebook Marketplace consistently vs a one-off (i.e. from a sawyer) ? If so, any suggestions for a source around the Piedmont Triad area ? I understand the risks (insects, case hardening or high...
  9. J

Small Cabinet Hinges

I’ve got a couple projects in design phase (wall hanging tea cabinet & a small standing potato cabinet). I’m open to decorative hinges (old world styles, arts & crafts type or hand forged look) as well as concealed but not the typical Euro-style or flimsy cheap $2 hinges but also not $75-100 for...
  10. J

Mortise & Tenons

I'm gearing up to make a few small projects where I would like to incorporate mortise & tenons for both functionality and visual appeal but mainly to get practice at it. I searched this forum and saw bits & pieces of my questions answered so thought I'd start this thread if that's ok to capture...
  11. J

How are woodworking illustrations made?

Faciniating video just uploaded to YouTube. Enjoy
  12. J

Cherry getting sawn

Had a cherry tree taken down and I've cut to rough lengths of several logs that'll give me 5-10ft straight lengths...range 8-14"dia logs. I painted the ends w/ latex paint (all I had) and I'll be getting some Tim-BOR to treat them once sawn. I'll be having to air dry these at least for a while...
  13. J

Lee Valley & Veritas Manufacturing Plant Tour

Would love to tour this place. The photographer/videographer needs to keep practicing but the point of the video is made...very interesting. Enjoy
  14. J

Klingspor’s Yellow Van ?

This morning I saw a yellow Klingspors van driving around and was curious. Are those for delivering machinery our what ? Forgive my ignorance here..
  15. J

Hand Plane Shavings Epoxied as Drawer Pulls

Very interesting concept... Enjoy
  16. J

Determining Board Ft from Forest

This Fall before the leaves are gone I want to take inventory of my woods that'll be cleared in a couple years for building a house & workshop. I'd like to pick the best looking white oaks, maples, etc. that I'd like to have milled up for lumber and am trying to find the easiest/cheapest way to...
  17. J

Lumber stack levelers - steel source ?

I’m looking into building some lumber stack base levelers like those Matt Cremona built in this link: https://mattcremona.com/urban-logging/sawing/lumber-stack-levelers I have a lot of nice hardwoods on my property that’ll be cleared prior to building our home & workshop that I’d like to have...
  18. J

Stanley 220 (13-220a) block plane ?

I have a friend that bought a house where the previous owner left a Stanley 220 (13-220a) block plane and he wants to give it to me. I cannot seem to find much info online about it at all. Seems like was made late 50’s-early 60’s is a decent block plane but not worth much or talked about b/c...
  19. J

Cypress Stump Cookie Finishing

I have this cypress cookie that's been in my father in law's garage shop for 45+yrs and we're turning it into a hanging light fixture. I'm sanding off the chainsaw marks and noticed it's got some punky wood spots. I've chiseled out all I care to w/o loosing that look we're after. Being very soft...
  20. J

RIP David Charlesworth

Not sure if any of you heard but David Charlesworth passed away on Sunday. I've learned a lot watching his teaching videos and I know he was well respected in the broader woodworking community, globally. https://www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk/

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS