Search results

1. J

Finishing/ sealing ROUGH sawn cedar

Just in time to bring on the pollen !
  2. J

Finishing/ sealing ROUGH sawn cedar

I did this as I wanted to keep that rough look but not be rough yet be protected. I found that using 220 grit with a very light pass (virtually no pressure) was adequate to knock off the fuzzies but not alert the rough look. Then I built up coats of spare urethane just before the next coat would...
  3. J

Lye aging for cherry

A low cost readily available tannic acid source would be to take several black tea bags and steep them in boiling water for 30min or so in a small container (quart paint can or small pot for example). Brush this onto the wood. This is an age-old trick as well and works best for woods with very...
  4. J

Dewalt DW735

I'd suggest using the CA glue + painter's tape trick to affix short pieces to a planer sled or just a flat board longer than the minimum recommended length for this machine. I got great results recently doing this for very thin boards (not short).
  5. J

New promo video for us

wonderful video, pro quality in all aspects for sure !
  6. J

Logs For Log Home Wanted

Back in 2006 when we had our custom log home built our builder used kiln dried logs (white pine in our case) from this company in NC. These guys were very nice, helpful and responsive for the very few times I had discussions with them as our builder took care of most of that. We had D-style as...
  7. J

New Guy

Welcome !
  8. J

Cleaning Up Wood Glue In Bathroom Sink

Several options and I'd love a follow up to know what you did and how it turned out. Folks need to be careful using acids, even diluted vinegar, on natural stone, especially marble (worst case stone). Solvents and heat won't be an issue though. It may scratch somewhat easily as well if using...
  9. J

Cabinet Back too Thin ?

I intend to hang mine using a recessed French Cleat. So, the thin abrosia maple back slats will sit in a rabbet and the cleat will be glued to the back slats & top of the cabinet.
  10. J

Cabinet Back too Thin ?

Thanks for all of the thoughts & input. Sorry, I didn't see all of the comments/questions come in after my response to Bob. I am planning to resaw, allow to rest prior to final thicknessing and they will be shiplaps. There are shelves and drawer box section to help keep things in check.
  11. J

Tapered Recessed Drawer Face ?

Wow again ! I do indeed prefer the look of the top down taper (i.e. top recess). Many thanks ! Was this done in SketchUp of Fusion 360 ? I couldn't figure it out in SketchUp
  12. J

Wow ! How'd you do that ? Could I see one of having the taper only from top down on each piece ? Also the tapers would start around a 1/4" from the edges of the board. Many thanks !
  13. J

Dewalt Planer bed separation

Sorry about that but I've not heard of that issue.
  14. J

Heating solution

Sounds great, thanks !
  15. J

Correct....similar to a dado jig but able to account for various draw or door face sizes.....maybe it's best to a separate jigs per the size of the piece though.
  16. J

I wanted to make several iterations to see what looks best (which is why I wish I could quickly get it to work in SketchUp instead). One would be all around each drawer face, one would have just top of each drawer face would have a taper down and another would have the taper just on the other...
  17. J

It sure is. I have this video saved and another from Darrell Peart (who this video got his idea for the jig from). I want to modify this for drawer fronts for example
  18. J

Thanks for the feedback and I also thought last night about having the taper go from left to right & right to left on opposing drawers rather than just all around each drawer face and also thought about just having them in each top opposing drawer face corner. However, in my mind the taper going...
  19. J

Heating solution

John, can you clarify (as I'm looking at mini-splits for my future shop) ? When you say, "heated to 61 (that’s the lowest they go) in winter".... Do you mean you prefer to keep it on it's coldest setting in the winter and thus if it could go lower you would ? OR do you mean when it's cold...
  20. J

I'm trying to come up with a unique accent / look to a pair of drawer fronts for my hanging walnut tea cabinet. Ideally this would become my "signature design feature". I really like the look of the Greene & Greene tapered indent detail typically reserved for legs and want to try and see if I...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors