Search results

1. K

I'm Looking for the Collective Wisdom of the Group!

I have a home I'm trying to remodel. This home has a subfloor of 3/4 inch plywood. On top is 1/2 particle board and then 1970's vinyl on top of that. Prior owner had cats and they sprayed the house so you can imagine the smell. I've determined that the aforementioned spraying didn't penetrate...
  2. K

May need a Band Saw in Greensboro

Hi all, I sold my bandsaw too early and now I may need one. I have ordered some very dense foam that serve as wheel cribs for a car. I need to take them down an inch or two. Willing to pay you to cut them down for me. I'm at 336-908-5406. Here are the cribs: 12
  3. K

Classifieds

It's been awhile since I've visited the site. I used to be a donor. Due to health reasons, I would like to sell my entire shop tools. I can't find the classified section. Was that removed?
  4. K

Need help designing a Swivel

Hi everyone. I've been away for awhile, life changes and such :) . I'm settled into my new place in Little Switzerland now and I want to add an outdoor TV in my pavilion. I've purchased an electronic ceiling mount for the TV. The idea I have in mind is to install a ceiling mount on a swivel...
  5. K

Mold Identification on Deck Boards

Does anyone know what type of mold this is in the pictures? It's attacking the stringers and boards of my deck and rotting them out. I want to find out how I can remediate it. The first picture is of a stringer rotting and the 2nd is a deck board with a close up of this mold. Thanks.
  6. K

Battery Charging Station

Does anyone have a design or picture of a battery charging station? I've got so many different kinds of charges for Dewalt, Milwaukee, Festool, Greenworks, Kobalt etc that its become a real mess. I'm looking for some designs for battery stations. I'm open to anything, but ideally something...
  7. K

Seeking Sketch-up Pro

I'd like to hire someone that is an expert in Sketch up and Cut-List to design me some (high end) garage cabinets, including hardware ideas. Please contact me at kentadams@me.com and we can discuss the project, materials and some ideas I have. I'm really good at building things, but not so...
  8. K

Wild Grape Vine Uses

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in awhile and I'm looking for some ideas. I have some forested land that has a ton of wild grapevines I'm going to remove. Some of these vines are as thick as my forearm. They are soft wood, but the grain seems attractive. I'm looking for some possible uses for...
  9. K

Rhododendron Uses

I've been in our forest up here in the mountains clearing some brush and dead trees. We have some very large diameter rhododendron (5-6") trunks that were standing but dead that I cut. The texture and shapes of this wood is very interesting. The wood is very heavy. I was wondering if anyone...
  10. K

Shellac with a top coat of Waterlox

I've got some "whitewood" with knots I want to finish, see here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-6-in-x-8-ft-Premium-Tongue-and-Groove-Pattern-Whitewood-Board-604437/100028238 . They suggest that you should put some dewaxed shellac, like Zinsser Seal coat over the board, especially the knots...
  11. K

Mobile milling

I have some property in the Spruce Pine area. I have some very large American Beech and Persimmon trees I would like to have milled. Does anyone know of a mobile mill operator in that area? These trees are in the 18-36 inch diameter range. Really all I'm looking for is a couple of slabs from...
  12. K

Electric Hoist Frame

I'm trying to lift my lawn tractor with an electric hoist so I can change and remove tires (I can't figure out where to put a jack on this old Craftsman). Rather than mounting it to the ceiling, I was thinking I could make something out of 4x4's that are attached with carriage bolts. Does...
  13. K

Maxiedge plywood

Does anyone know of a plywood supplier in the US that has a similar product to this? http://www.maxiplywood.com.au/maxi-edge/
  14. K

Restaining Deck

I've got 1500 square ft. decking on the new home I'm buying and it needs to be restained. I've only restained one deck before and I'm pretty sure I did it wrong, but the home was sold before I could see how it weathered. The deck is about 8 years old. I believe the deck gets a lot of mid-day...
  15. K

Making a Fire Pit

I'm thinking of making an LP fire pit for a home I bought in Spruce Pine. Top level fire pits can be several thousand dollars but I can buy an LP kit with the pan and all the connections for about $200 so I was thinking I might make it myself with a plumber doing the hook up. Has anyone made...
  16. K

Woodwright School - Box Making Class this Saturday with Roy Underhill

I have a wonderful opportunity for the first person that can confirm they are able to take my place for this box making class with Bill Anderson and Roy Underhill. It's this Saturday. I've paid for the class but can't make it. Roy Underhill has agreed to let me give it away to someone here...
  17. K

Paint for drill bits

I ordered Fastcap's KISS kit, but without the drill bits. https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=50453 I've heard their drill bits are great, but I couldn't bring myself to spend another $169 for 82 drill bits. Because I have so many bits lying around, I figure I could paint...
  18. K

No. 2 Plane

I'm thinking of buying a No. 2 plane. Does anyone have one of these and what do you find they are best for? I was thinking it might work in certain circumstances better than my no. 62 block plane. I realize one is low angle and the other isn't, but I find I'm using my block plane for jointing...
  19. K

Rev-a-Shelf heavy duty lift

I bought a spindle sander from one of our members here and I'd like to enclose it in a base cabinet. The weight is listed as 77lbs. The Rev-a-shelf is listed as a max capacity of 60 pounds. Does anyone know of a similar lifting mechanism that can go beyond 60 lbs and function the same as the...
  20. K

Veritas Quick-Release Sliding Tail Vise

Anybody out there have one of these vices? I have a Veritas twin screw vice I need to install and thought this might be nice to have on my workbench as well. It looks relatively easy to install on an existing bench. Because I have to add a skirt to my existing bench for the twin screw, I...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS