Search results

1. M

A Segmented Bowl - Sort Of

This project was finished today. It was made from the left over blocks of wood that I used to make the stool tops shown in the picture. They had just been hanging around in the shop for a year because I really have a hard time throwing wood away. SO, this is not an example of how to make a...
  2. M

A New Coffee Table

Someone gave us a slab of what must have been a cookie from a large Redwood limb and my better half decided she wanted a new coffee table. Here are a few pictures. The legs and base support are all dowel joints and the feet are attached with dominos. None of the legs meet the cross members...
  3. M

A Couple More Bowls

Scrap wood quickly can find a use this way! I continue to try to learn basics of bowl turning here (no super thin walls), and tried my hand at segmented turning simply because I had a scrap of highly figured cherry that I could not bring myself to throw away. The oak bowl is just cut offs as...
  4. M

Wooden Box Turnings

This collection of boxes are from some timber scraps of a house built in 1815 that was in part of my wife's family. I turned these a "mementos" for members of her family. They all look similar in shape and size primarily because I was maximizing the use of the wood and the cavity inside the...
  5. M

A Very Odd Table

My better half had the opportunity to have to timbers from an old family home ( built around 1815) and wanted something made from the timbers. As you can see in the pictures, these were ax hewn or hand sawn depending on the side. All the timber joints were mortise and tenon and no two were...
  6. M

First Bowl

This was a very different project for me. I learned quite a few things the most important of which is that a catch with a bowl gouge produces some very dramatic effects. I'm thinking body armor might be a good idea!
  7. M

A Couple of Recent Projects Wrapped Up

Here is a final picture of one of the pair of maple night stands with the hardware. The second is a pepper and salt mill set.
  8. M

Curly Cherry Nightstands

I'm building some nightstands to go with the bed build completed earlier this year. Here are a couple of shots with the carcasses assembled. Drawer fronts will be highly figured, but have to make a material run before I can go any further. The scrollsaw butterfly in the dust panel was just...
  9. M

Cherry Bed Build

Just completed a cherry bed for my wife. She wanted one that looked close to a very old family bed, but allowed me some liberties. I used walnut trim to provide some accents, and turned the acorn finials in three pieces so that I could insert a textured acorn base. I'll include some...
  10. M

Salt and Pepper Mills - Lathe Practice

I've been trying to improve my skills to the point of turning bedposts, so salt and pepper mills were a logical step. I tried to combine several techniques beyond just the lathe to work on finish and decorating techniques as well. The final coat on everything is a shellac based friction...
  11. M

Friction Polish Seems to Dull

I've used friction polish, 10% BLO & 90% 1# cut shellac, on some pepper mills. Initially they look great with a nice high gloss. The gloss changes as the polish is applied and rubbed and comes off the lathe exactly like I want it. However, two days later it is much less glossy. I put it...
  12. M

More Experiments with Texturing

To complete my experiments with the home made texturing tool, I made a series of small turned boxes. All are about 1 1/2 inch diameter. I used small power carving tools in a homemade handle that supported them with bearings and allowed them to spin freely. Pressing them into the soft maple...
  13. M

Experiments This Week

This week I got to just experiment a little. With some guidance from Charlie on making the compass star by sanding, I was able to prove a concept of putting it in the top of a large bead. There are still some defects, but the technique was applied only to the points of the star and the...
  14. M

Help with a Compass Rose

I am playing with making a compass rose design (NOT VENEER) that will end up as part of the top of a turned box or pepper mill. I built a jig to get the angles correct which you can see in the pictures below. I'm having trouble when cutting the 12 degree angle in that the pieces are not...
  15. M

Table Completed

Thanks to those who offered sanding advice for the edges of this table. I ended up using hard sanding blocks with the paper glued to them. The edges remained crisp, and I appreciate all the inputs. The table top is 2 ft by 2 ft and is a coffee table for a music studio. I finished with two...
  16. M

Sanding Advice Needed

I working on a table top with a chamfered edge and need to figure out a way to sand it without rounding over the end points. Normally, I would use a block plane for this task, but it is the edge of plywood and my tests have only created tear out. I've included a picture below. How should I...
  17. M

Panel Suggestions?

I'm replacing some white oak plywood panels in a table top (2 panels, 31 inchis by 14 inches) with some solid boo-kmatched white oak panels. After slicing on a bandsaw and then getting the saw marks out, I'm left with a panel that is only 1/4 inch thick. This is going to be too thin, so I'm...
  18. M

Salt and Pepper Grinders

Just finished these as a wedding present. They are a combination of plywood and walnut. I found that filling gaps in the plywood worked best with hot hide glue and oak dust.
  19. M

Walnut Box

I hate throwing away scrap, so this box was left overs from the first stool project shown in previous post and some small walnut pieces that I had. A fun project with the challenge of making the saddle box and top, and then making the plywood pull.
  20. M

A Second Stool

After the comment about trying to fill the voids in the plywood end grain, I thought I would try a second stool with a different finishing technique. I also reworked the top on the first stool with yet another technique to see what happened. Both stools had visible voids of various sizes in...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors