Search results

1. mike_wood

Matte vs gloss

Sorry I have not replied. It is a softer look than satin. The 24 hr recommendation has always been on the MinWax sprays. It means give it time if you are going to put the object into use.
  2. mike_wood

SuperMax 19-38 for sale

Not mine. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/clayton-supermax-drum-sander-with-extras/7734812657.html
  3. mike_wood

Matte vs gloss

I noticed a new (to me) finish by Minwax called Warm Satin. I got a spray can & have used it on a few small projects. I like it. I got it at Lowes & I saw they had it in pints too.
  4. mike_wood

Cherry Sale - Capital City Lumber

I rarely go to CCL as they seem to pricy for me but I needed a small amount of cherry to finish a project & was in Raleigh anyway. Surprised to find they had a sale on 4/4 s2s cherry for $3.75 bdft. Had plenty when I was there and what I saw looked good. Note this sale is only for 4/4 s2s.
  5. mike_wood

Making Homemade Stain - Success & Failure

I put the vinegar/sw in a jar, set it in my shop, and have been working a lot on our garden as it looks like an early spring. Whenever I passed by in the shop I would look at it but not touch. A couple days later I was thinking of trying again with different vinegar so picked up the jar and with...
  6. mike_wood

Stuck Table Saw Blade

Got it loose today. What worked was the suggestion to use a wrench on the back side to hold it and another on the nut. The space to get to the back side was really narrow so I used the OEM wrench and a standard 3/4" wrench on the nut. As y'all said the blade was thin enough the nut was jamming...
  7. mike_wood

Stuck Table Saw Blade

I've been working on gardening for awhile so spent little time in the shop. Quit a little early yesterday went to my workshop to glue up some boards thinking it would take me 30 min or so. Have a thin kerf glue line blade on now. When I tried to take it off the nut would not budge. I've had this...
  8. mike_wood

How Do Sawmills Get On/Off List?

I need some cherry and didn't have time to drive to Gibsonville so started looking at sawmill list. There was one listed new Asbury that is no longer listed. Wondering what happened. There are two on the Deep River Road in Sanford. One had a phone number called but did not have what I wanted...
  9. mike_wood

Making Homemade Stain - Success & Failure

Never got around to making homemade stain but my friend brought me some walnuts so I decided to make stain with them. Worked great. I boiled them for about 10 min in 1 gal water (20 nuts) then let it steep for 30 min or so. Kept testing by dipping a piece of wood in it until I got the color I...
  10. mike_wood

Lazy Susan

Yep I saw where I would expect screws to go but there were plastic nibs on the underside of every one. The nibs sticking up in your pic I bet has a place for a screw under it. It only works if the plastic nib is in place. Still puzzled.
  11. mike_wood

Dust Collection: Oneida Supercell High-Pressure Dust Collectors

https://www.lumberjocks.com/threads/oneida-supercell-dust-collector-review.352456/ For anyone interested this review is a good assessment of the SC. I totally agree with him.
  12. mike_wood

My main reason for going with SC was the small footprint.
  13. mike_wood

I have one & it is loud & puts out a lot of heat. You do not want to forget to put on hearing protection before turning on. Never measured it (I will tomorrow) but has to be in the 80+ decibel range. I lucky I don’t have any close neighbors.
  14. mike_wood

Lazy Susan

Just to add to this comment this turntable is not 4". It is 3 5/8" (94mm). Quite a difference and since I was replacing a true 4" I was concerned about the previous holes showing but this one was just big enough to cover them. Also, on the Amazon web page it appears they come as a 2 pack but it...
  15. mike_wood

Lazy Susan

Thanks a lot for posting this. I ordered and you are right - very smooth & quiet.
  16. mike_wood

MirrorCoat Air Bubbles

17. mike_wood

Lazy Susan

I bought a small one like this but it was a head scratcher as all the built-in screw holes had a plastic nib on the other side so no way to screw down without removing the nibs. Won’t work with nibs removed. Was yours like this? When I looked up how to use it seems they were made for heavy...
  18. mike_wood

Lazy Susan

I was in the process of making 3 LS when this conversation started. I purchased hardware for two (4") at the new Rockler. To me they are not acceptable. Too "grindy" and not feel smooth enough. Once it gets loaded down it is better but I would like something quieter and smoother. I attached a...
  19. mike_wood

Woodworking and Pesticides

Isn’t about everything in American business a marketing ploy? What about the abandoned apple orchard in the mountains of NC that was declared an EPA hazardous waste site due to the accumulation of some,of the most hazardous pesticides ever sold - aldrin, diedrin, etc? Thousands of tons of...
  20. mike_wood

Cleaning Blades and Bits

Another vote for Trend. Not that expensive & works fast & takes very little. I tried the cheap orange and other cleaners but I like something that works fast especially if I take out a blade & realize it needs cleaning. 10 min and back in business.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS