Search results

1. W

Howdy, y'all

Dale, I don't see why you can't do the work yourself if you have the ability. In NC, the owner is allowed to do it if a permit is issued and the work inspected and approved. I wired my building to suit my needs and the inspector checked it out the day it was completed. No problem. Check with the...
  2. W

Spindle Extension

Jim, just re-cut the faceplate diameter smaller to clear the motor and add another layer to the outboard side of the faceplate and you'll be good to go. I made several glue blocks before I got my first chuck so I understand what you are doing with the nut. However, I went a step further by using...
  3. W

Spindle Extension

Jim, the motor should not be in the way. Maybe you have the headstock mounted backwards? Not really familiar with that brand but none of the lathes I've used have the motor that close to the bed to interfere with the maximum swing. You shouldn't use an extension since that could cause other...
  4. W

any idea what type of wood this is?

Windy, thanks for the reply. I recently cut some thin (1/4") disks from green wood and submerged them in mineral oil to see if that would work. It actually did for those thin pieces. Harry
  5. W

Met Mike Davis

Look forward to it, Barry. I hope I can make it. Harry
  6. W

Comment by 'woodturner2014' in media 'Wedding present'

Very well done and beautiful wood.
  7. W

Met Mike Davis

Well I'll try to be there. I'll probably learn as much as the kids.
  8. W

Met Mike Davis

Thanks, Mike for the invite. I don't know if I'll be available or if I would be of any help with my limited skills. I really need more info about the event. Do I need to bring anything? I've got wood but it is all green.
  9. W

any idea what type of wood this is?

Windy, how do you keep the slices from splitting/checking? I have a piece I was going to turn as a platter but would consider making tabletop if It would hold together. Thanks.
  10. W

Met Mike Davis

I finally had the privilege to meet Mike yesterday at an event in Walnut Cove. I was hoping I would see him while I was there and was not disappointed. I enjoyed our brief conversation and hope to meet up again. Thanks for your time, Mike.:)
  11. W

Comment by 'woodturner2014' in media 'Cedar Double Vase top view'

Great design and beautifully done.
  12. W

15th Annual Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Extravaganza - October 16th & 17th - Hickory, NC

Michael, just wanted to say thanks for the great demo. I did make the purchase and looking forward to adding pyrography to my wood turnings.
  13. W

2015 Annual Picnic May 16

I am going to try my best to be there just to meet some of the fine members.
  14. sliced walnut inlay

sliced walnut inlay

I turned a ledge in the bowl rim. Then embedded the sliced walnut shell into the epoxy resin in the ledge. The bowl is spalted poplar.
  15. W

Can't chat

Ok folks. Thanks for the help. I installed Firefox (prefer Google Chrome) and can now view and post to the chat. Hope to be there tomorrow night.
  16. W

Can't chat

My operating system is linux mint. Chrome is my browser. I don't know enough about either to get chat to work.
  17. W

Hello Everyone

Thanks for the invite, Bill. Maybe my work schedule will allow a visit.
  18. W

Hello Everyone

My name is Harry. i'm located in Sophia, NC and just began wood turning August this year. Enjoying it when all goes well. Don't really have enough work space in my unheated building, but still making a few items as time and weather permit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS