Search results

1. BWhitney

Russian Wood turning

I saw this on Youtube. From all you experienced turners, what is wrong with this video? Please comment and give me advise as to whether or not to even try this.
  2. BWhitney

Food for the picnic

SWMBO has volunteered to make a dozen and a half cupcakes for me to bring to the picnic. I haven't seen an official list of food being brought so thought I would start it here and now.
  3. BWhitney

Not my shop but one here in our area.

I just opened up the latest Wood News Online Magazine from Highland woodworking. An Apex woodworking shop is highlighted. Link to the article...
  4. BWhitney

Cabinet Works Auction - Raleigh

I don't know if anyone else has posted this. There might be some things of interest . . . https://www.estatesales.net/NC/Raleigh/27603/1915278
  5. BWhitney

Stanley #45 versus Stanley #55

I am in the market for one of these (no, I don't know why). I would like for someone who has experience with both of these to explain the difference between them and let me know what they prefer. I know that is pretty open but I don't even know the questions to ask.
  6. BWhitney

Tool Catalog Junkie

OK, I admit it. I’m a woodworking tool catalog junkie! I subscribe to the usual ones and a list of them is not necessary. But I want more! The upcoming issue of FWW has an article about German wood planes and alludes to the ECE Primus as being only one of several that are in use there...
  7. BWhitney

New Bandsaw - continuing saga

As most of you know from my earlier posts, I ordered a Rikon 10-326 from Highland Woodworking and posted pictures of the assembly. But the trunnion was binding and I coordinated with Rikon for a new trunnion on the 29th of June. On the 7th of July, last Friday, I called Rikon to get a...
  8. BWhitney

How smoothly does your bandsaw table tilt adjustment work?

I have a question for all of the 10-326/10-325 owners. How smoothly does your table tilt adjustment work? The trunnion on mine would not move. After discussions with Rikon (see post #2), I disassembled the trunnion and finally got it to move, but it is nowhere near being a smooth...
  9. BWhitney

New Bandsaw Part 2

As promised, a pic of the bandsaw installed atop the supplied base. That is a far as assembly proceeded. As you can see in the pics, the trunnion for the table is at an angle (35 degrees). I wanted it level to slide the table past the installed blade but the trunnion wouldn't move! I called...
  10. BWhitney

New Bandsaw

I ordered my Rikon 10-326 bandsaw last week from Highland Hardware and got it in Tuesday. Today I had help getting it out of the box so laid out the parts that needed to be installed. They look like pretty good quality. The table is huge, compared to my old one. It weighs 42 pounds by...
  11. BWhitney

I won. Part 2 update.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> After I won the gift certificate at the picnic from Bell Forest I ordered a bundle of cherry. The cherry arrived via UPS on Friday from the upper peninsula of Michigan. The...
  12. BWhitney

I won!!!

I won the BellForest gift certificate at the picnic yesterday. I have never ordered wood online so I am a little skeptical but I now have some cherry on its way to my house. Pics will be posted in another post when it arrives and, maybe, after it gets here and I decide on a suitable project...
  13. BWhitney

Foam Backer Material

I found these at Walmart the other day when I was looking for backing material for shop built sanding blocks. So far it seems to work great and I thought I would pass it along. I've also found other uses. Might be worth looking at. Peel & Stick Foam Sheets, Basic Colors, 6pk$5.99 in crafts and...
  14. BWhitney

Help on Disston Identity

I picked up a handsaw at an estate sale recently that I need help in identifying. It appears similar to a No. 8 but... It is a 28" Rip saw, and from the picture you can see it is 6 TPI. My problem lies in the fact that the handle is slightly different, the saw nut medallion uses the eagle, and...
  15. BWhitney

Saw Sets

I am interested in hand sharpening some saws. For those of you who do this, which saw set should I consider? Vintage Stanley 42X's are available on amazon and ebay but Highland Woodworking and Lee Valley have new comparably priced (Japan made?) that also seem to be quality tools?
  16. BWhitney

Slippery Slope

In another thread, Tyler from Fort Bragg, asked about finding a plane. I didn't want to hijack the thread but did want to advise him so here are some of my thoughts on the subject. Tyler I'll jump in here also and say that the #5 is a good place to start. But they're (we) are starting you down...
  17. BWhitney

Customer Service

Last month I was using my Milwaukee M12 Hackzall to salvage some wind damaged bamboo when it stopped working. I thought it was the battery, but replacing the battery did no good, so I borrowed a more powerful 18v. B&D sawzall to complete the job. Upon disassembly and inspection of my tool, I...
  18. BWhitney

Ratcheting Hand Clamps

I think I saw an item about DeWalt hand clamps like these. I bought a set from Home Depot after having seen and bought a couple of similar ones at Ollies Discount. Ollies were 24" while the Dewalt were 4.5", 6" and 12". The Ollies clamp also operated as a spreader clamp, while only the smallest...
  19. BWhitney

Favorite Clamps

Judgement asked: Re: Which HF clamps? Thanks everyone. So, let's do this; what are you favorite clamps? I have to say that my favorite is the one that fits the job at hand. I started out with "C" Clamps (3", 6"...
  20. BWhitney

Fayetteville to Pittsboro Woodwright's School and Tool Store

My neighbor and I are planning a trip for this Saturday (22 February) to the tool store. I'll be driving an extended cab pickup so there is room for a couple more people. I am planning on leaving Fayetteville mid morning and returning mid afternoon. If you are from Fayetteville and have wanted...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS