Search results

1. R

Arborist Wanted

I have an oak tree about 3 or 4 feet DBH that has a bad spot at the base. I need an arborist who can tell me what is happening to the tree and what course of action I should take. I have looked online for arborists and haven't had any luck finding one. I have looked up the IBA lists of...
  2. R

Suggestions wanted

I recently ran an ad selling some mahogany and cherry veneered plywood, The mahogany sold, but the plywood got no interest. Since this is 2/3 of a sheet of plywood, I don't want to dispose of it like I did my other scraps, I cut up scraps of thin plywood into 9x12 pieces for the local HS art...
  3. R

Wood for Sale

I have decided to clean out some wood I have had for quite awhile. One piece of Honduran Mahogany bought in the '90's. It measures 6/4" thick by 20" wide by 99.5" long. I calculate it at 20+ board feet. Advertised prices indicate this would retail for $200. I am asking $125. One piece of...
  4. R

Track saw question

I got all my major tools before track saws were a thing. I look at Youtube and see woodworkers using track saws for almost everything a table saw can do. So I was wondering if any of you with track saws would comment on if a track saw can replace a table saw. I don't think you can do a dado...
  5. R

What is this trophy stuff?

Leaving my first Help query I noticed a little bell up at the upper right. When I went to it, I found i had received 3 trophies with some derogatory connotations. Huh? Roy G
  6. R

Problem

I signed onto the new site and read a few posts and decided to explore. Got to calendar and it wouldn't let me get in. My profile lists me as a new member even though I have 954 posts. Went to Klingspor Wednesday and didn't get a discount. Whassup? Roy G
  7. R

Classified ad

How do I mark an item sold in the classifieds? Roy G
  8. R

Finish-stain compatibility

I used some Jel'd Stain on walnut and need to put a top coat on it. My Jel'd Poly-Kote has gone bad, so I need to use something else. Would Formby's tung oil finish be compatible? I could buy some wipe-on poly if that would work. Roy G
  9. R

Lost Item Found

Thanks to Hank, my mortise gauge is back in the news. Thanks for all the comments about looking out for it. Roy G
  10. R

Lost Item at the Picnic

I attended the picnic this afternoon and enjoyed the event greatly. I met Mike Davis and gave him a bit of wood for his son and donated a chisel to the trailer. Unfortunately, my wife texted me and needed me to come home, so I had to leave early. As I was leaving, I collected some items that...
  11. R

Cerused Rift Oak

Was reading the paper this morning and came across an article about a decorator. There was a picture whose caption described a table as being made of "... cerused rift oak..." which I had never heard of. Looking up in the dictionary, I find Ceruse listed as a lead compound used in paint. The...
  12. R

Private Message

I am wondering if something has changed with the PM. I have tried to send some and don't know if they went through or not and I haven't received any for several months. Roy G
  13. R

Holly wood

No, not in California. Cut down a holly in my backyard. Maybe up to 6" in diameter with some pieces 5' or 6' long. Any interest? Located over by east side of Jordan Lake. Roy G
  14. R

Accumulation of Wood Bits

Looking for some pieces of cherry to use in a project, I decided to hunt through the wood underneath my bench. I found walnut, oak, pine, lyptus, poplar and mahogany, but no cherry. Looking at the pile of wood I realized I had saved a lot of scraps. It was too good to throw away but I am never...
  15. R

Editing an ad

i am trying to edit an ad I have up. I went to the Help desk at the top of the page and saw there was a question about editing already there. I followed the instructions and either missed something or things have changed. I edited the ad and went to Classified and saw no changes had occurred...
  16. R

Stain Problem

I made a cabinet for my wife and went to stain it. Since it was going to match an existing cabinet, I was going to use the same stain on it. Opened the can and saw it was not very full. Being foolishly optimistic, I said that was enough. Not so. Okay, so I have a half-stained cabinet. Off...
  17. R

Diamond Sharpener

I bought a diamond sharpener and was reading the brochure that came with it. It says to use water as a lubricant and after sharpening, rinse the sharpener off and dry it. It's a DMT on a steel plate, so is there some concern about rust? Does using an oil clog it up? Thanks for any response...
  18. R

Wallace Gusler Rifle Making

I was looking through the channels last night and found a show that was running a Colonial Williamsburg video of Wallace Gusler making a rifle. That was fascinating. Started with making the barrel out of a piece of flat stock. I never knew they made a tube and forge welded it into shape...
  19. R

Need to find a home for some wood pieces

I have about 20 pieces of wood that are 78" long, 3 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick. They are veneered on both sides with mahogany and are straight. They came out of a room divider that folded up like an accordion. I don't know what the core wood is but I have had the wood pieces for many years and...
  20. R

Question for SawStop owners

I have been following the thread about getting a new table saw and saw that a lot of people were sold on the safety of the SawStop. I have an old Unisaw that has served me well and only given me a slight nick once. My question concerns kick-back. When I was ripping a strip off a screen-door...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS