Search results

1. Willemjm

Shipping cabinet doors

Anyone here shipped doors before? How do you package them and who do you use as the carrier? Working on a quote for doors for a complete kitchen. I think I know how to do this safe and economically, but will appreciate input from those with experience.
  2. Willemjm

Forstner Bits

Just saying, I purchased a whole set of those carbide bits as per the suggestion for an inexpensive one. Big mistake, they are terrible, chatter and vibrate, ending up with a bigger hole than the bit. Freud is the way to go. I sharpen mine on a CBN wheel. The Freud carbide bits are a bit more...
  3. Willemjm

Unexpected visitor checking my glue joints.

He said it passes, provided I cured above 60F Any idea which ethnic group he belongs to?
  4. Willemjm

Spice Grinders

Eighty of them in around two weeks. Spalted Pecan, 2.75” x 10”
  5. Willemjm

Lumber addiction

LOL Wide treads to use all that lumber on 12 steps.
  6. Willemjm

Lumber addiction

Yep, happened in the last 5 minutes, just hit the reserve price and prayed.
  7. Willemjm

Lumber addiction

Just can't help myself, might have to go for counselling. Just bought 1050 bf prime Cherry 4/4 select or better, which I don't need. Darn!
  8. Willemjm

3PH question

Oka, nice explanation. Just one point to mention. All my single phase 3hp 240V motors are connected to 20A breakers, no issues. 1hp= 746Watts 3hp= 2238Watts Current = 2238/240/0.8 = 11.7 Amps For starting current, unlikely that would go above 15 A For 3 phase divide the above by square root of...
  9. Willemjm

Wet spindles into mills

Craft Supplies USA. Crush Grind mechanism.
  10. Willemjm

Wet spindles into mills

I do both a pin moisture meter and I weigh them.
  11. Willemjm

Wet spindles into mills

I drill a hole all the way through mine, slightly smaller than what would be needed for the final product. Then I let them dry until they are below 12% moisture content.
  12. Willemjm

Tenoning jig?

Mine is an inexpensive cast iron standard tenon jig and I always use it. It depends how you cut your mortises. If they are cut true, square and accurate, a 0.001” difference in tenon thickness makes the difference between the right and the wrong sloppy or over-tight fit. When I do a dry test...
  13. Willemjm

Attaching leather to wood.

For larger pieces I use a contact adhesive. For smaller pieces, or where it is hard to get into, I use double sided carpet tape. Neither has ever given me any issues.
  14. Willemjm

WTB - Tormek and/or accessories

Visit someone who uses CBN wheels on a good quality bench grinder, with the right sharpening jigs and check it out. A tiny fraction of the time in comparison and you will never go back to anything else.
  15. Willemjm

Edge gluing

I have never needed to run two boards together. Never had a problem glueing up directly from the jointer. I think that is over complicating things, just set up the jointer properly. When I purchased my jointer and had it set up, I jointed two 72” long boards and placed the edges together. I...
  16. Willemjm

Screwing and Gluing Joints

I never use screws with proper joinery, only glue. The glue is stronger than the wood and every time I have done tests on cut-off pieces from glued joints over the years, in all cases the piece did not break on the joint. Artisan built furniture with good joinery should have no screws. If...
  17. Willemjm

Breadboard tabletop mortice lenth

I always do full width, about 1 1/2” short of each top side. Glue only 3” center and pin the rest with elongated holes to allow for expansion. The last one I did over 40” width moved about 1/2” between winter and summer. I do the BB slightly wider than the top with slight radiuses where it...
  18. Willemjm

Grandfather Clock--Seeking Movement

Dave, try Faircloth Clockworks in Sanford NC. Mr. Faircloth is a one man operation, been in the business for his whole life. I have an antique clock with a German movement which he services for me every year and he seems to be able to source just about anything.
  19. Willemjm

Moisture content in air dried wood

Thickness has no effect. Quarter sawn roughly 1/2 of flat sawn.
  20. Willemjm

Moisture content in air dried wood

In NC around 12% Once you place the finished item in a conditioned home, in winter it would go somewhere below 8%. A finish will not stop the moisture content from changing, just slow it down. A general design approach is to allow for 1/8” movement across the grain for each 12” of flat sawn...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS