Search results

1. ErnieM

Email notification

I am not receiving any emails telling me that someone has responded to a post that I'm subscribed to. Is this feature not working, or has it been discontinued?
  2. ErnieM

Lost my mentor and friend

I just found out that my friend and mentor, Paul Kennedy, has died. In the mid 1980's I met Paul and he took me under his wing. For the next 6 years, he taught me all he knew about harpsichord building. As we lived a couple of miles apart, I was in his shop constantly - asking questions that...
  3. ErnieM

Visit to Charlie's shop (candy store)

Yesterday we had the February meeting of the New Bern lunch bunch at Charlie Stickney's shop in Raleigh. Sandy and I got there at 10:00 and I was like a kid in a candy store. What a fabulous, well thought out shop. Charlie has to import dust from other shops as he never has any lying around...
  4. ErnieM

Duct tape failure

For years I've been using 3M duct tape for clamping thin moldings etc. I like it because it stretches, so a reasonable amount of pressure can be applied on thin wood. Lately, I've run into a problem - the tape doesn't stick. It's fine when first applied, but checking on it a few minutes later...
  5. ErnieM

Need a Stanley #80 scraper

Anyone have a Stanley #80 scraper they'd like to sell? I'm not looking for a fixer-upper but one in decent condition. Thanks, Ernie
  6. ErnieM

Harpsichord - Bowls - Sculpture from the New Bern Lunch Bunch

Having just completed my latest harpsichord, the New Bern Lunch Bunch decided to hold our March meeting in my shop in Chocowinity to check it out. Charlie (Charlie Stickney) and Leon (Leon Harkins) came down all the way from Raleigh to join us. Fortunately for us, they brought with them some...
  7. ErnieM

Oh No!...I'm getting cranky again

Like a lot of you, I watch a lot of woodworking videos on the internet machine. Lately, I've noticed what, to me, is a disturbing trend - videos with no narration. So you sit there and watch some guy cutting wood, drilling wood, sanding wood, gluing wood, etc. over, and over, and over again. You...
  8. ErnieM

Glue dispensers - UGH!

Hi all, As I'm getting older, I find myself more annoyed with little things that probably shouldn't bother me. Today's complaint is about glue bottles - I hate them. I've tried many and they all are great at one thing - clogging at the tip. My last attempt at solving this problem was the...
  9. ErnieM

Free Scroll Saw

Is anyone looking for an entry level scrollsaw? I'm not a scroller, but I just purchased a Hawk 220vs at a price I couldn't turn down. My current saw is a Sears 16" variable speed model that's about 6 or 7 years old. It has held up well, but I only used it a few times a year. It's missing a hold...
  10. ErnieM

Steam Bending in Reverse?

So I'm in the process of bending a harpsichord bridge. The hard maple bridge is 60" long and tapers in height and width from 1/2" in the front to 11/16" in the rear. I thoroughly wet the bridge with water and then wrap it in wet towels for an overnight soaking. The next morning, I put it in the...
  11. ErnieM

This NEVER happens

About a month ago, I finished my latest project - a copy of the 1640 Andreas Ruckers harpsichord. A couple of weeks later, I got a phone call asking me if I could supply a harpsichord for a pair of concerts to be given by Leon Schelhase, a professional harpsichordist and professor at the Curtis...
  12. ErnieM

Kudos to Jet customer service

I have a 4 year old Jet 10/20 drum sander that I thought I would use occasionally when I bought it. Turns out I use it almost every day. This past Tuesday night I tried to raise the drum by turning the crank and found that the threaded hole in the arm was totally stripped and the threaded rod...
  13. ErnieM

How-To Videos

I'm in the middle of painting a harpsichord using oil-based paint. Since my shop has no finishing room, I can't do much woodworking during the curing period. Rather than sitting around for hours watching paint dry, I like to watch how-to videos on YouTube. I find many well done and informative...
  14. ErnieM

New Compressor-Thank you Scott Smith

My old compressor, Sears oil-less 33 gallon, needed repair. Nothing drastic and easily fixed - except I didn't want to fix it. I no longer needed a compressor that big, and the deafening noise when it replenished itself was really getting to me. So I decided to replace it with something smaller...
  15. ErnieM

Latest Harpsichord - video & sound III

The last clip features the "buff stop", which is a set of leather wedges that contact the lower keyboard strings and semi-mutes the sound, giving the instrument a guitar or lute-like quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfvpUPX7pcw Thanks again for listening. Ernie
  16. ErnieM

Latest Harpsichord - video & sound II

The second short clip has him playing on the lower keyboard using 2/3rds (122) of the strings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awl42tIYMGc
  17. ErnieM

Latest Harpsichord - video & sound

Last week I posted some pictures of my latest instrument. Some of you asked for sound files so you could hear it played. This afternoon, Dr. O'brien, professor of keyboards and early music at ECU, dropped by to try out the instrument. It is a joy to hear him play. Unfortunately, I have no...
  18. ErnieM

Latest Harpsichord finished - at last

Many years ago I visited the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and was able to see the original 1736 Hemsch double manual harpsichord on display. Since then, I've always wanted to build it, and when I turned 70 (a year and a half ago - ugh!) I decided I'd better do it while I was still able to...
  19. ErnieM

Minwax Poly - Brush on vs. Aerosol

I sometimes use Minwax Poly in a rattle can for small parts. The directions say to recoat within 2 hours or wait a minimum of 72 hours, which in my opinion, is ridiculous. I've tried recoating in less than 72 hours, and it usually results in a wrinkled finish. The brush on Minwax Poly has no 72...
  20. ErnieM

Do you bleed for your work?

I know I do - just about every day. Right now I have four cuts on my right arm, one on my left middle finger, and two on my right leg - and that's just in the last week. It's rare to see me without at least one band-aid on. I've been known to come to the dinner table with a 12" long ribbon of...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS