Search results

1. M

Anyone with experience stabilizing wood?

Oh yeah. The vaccuum chamber can also used for degassing slow curing resin for bubble free results
  2. M

Anyone with experience stabilizing wood?

Chris. I stabilized wood all the time for woodturning. 1. You need a thick wall pot, but I've built a vacuum chamber from pvc pipe because the pot I have is too short. A smooth rim is necessary for the lid to seal tight. 2. You need a vacuum. Not a pressure pot. Those are all over Amazon and...
  3. M

Brite tone instrument finish

I have a mix of beeswax and mineral oil and another with beeswax + caranauba +mineral oil....mostly my go to What does the acetone achieve with the poly?
  4. M

Brite tone instrument finish

Hi. I saw a few youtube videos with woodworkers finishing guitars with Brite tone high solid poly. Has anyone used it for woodturned items? I would mostly use it for duck/deer calls. How durable is it? I currently use a bee/caranauba or spar urethane but always looking for "better" finishes...
  5. M

Late Christmas gift. Better late than never

First finished project of the year made for a friend restoring an austen healy. Used a hood ornament and recessed it with resin. Added some designs to the inside of the lid (robert sorby tool) Red cedar finished with bees and caranauba wax.
  6. M

Optimum height of lathe?

I just set up my "new to me lathe". Had to build a riser as I am vertically challenged. I am set up with elbow bent at 90 degrees when holding the tool. It is most comfortable for me. Turned for 5 hours today without back or shoulder fatigue.
  7. M

Wood rings - finish

Both processes. I wanted to make a couple for my etsy shop. The ones I have made for my daughter were finished with bees wax, but looking to get the "best" finish for customers
  8. M

Wood rings - finish

Quick question for those who make and sell rings. CA finish or bees/caranauba/oil mixture. I use a CA finish on pen, but they always look "plastic-y". I would prefer a natural wood finish, but I am concerned about durability. Thank you.
  9. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Just brought it home... now to reconfigure the garage. Thanks all
  10. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you Sam. I just found it this AM re: 1.25x8 while reading some specs. Will be grabbing a couple of adapters. My current midi requires belt changes, so not optimal,workable for now. Was planning on building a small cabinet underneath it for tools and blanks. Maybe I will build it and...
  11. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you. Yes I am aware this is a full size with an extension. I was initially looking for a midi for price and space reasons... but for this price, I will make room for a full size lathe. Going to see it tomorrow. Fingers crossed for not surprises.
  12. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

I am in monroe, nc.. close to the sc border
  13. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you all. This is the plan at this point with the bed extension I reached out to the seller. Fingers crossed
  14. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Thank you James. My only concern is room in my _already crammed _ half of a garage.
  15. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Ken. Do we have a discount code with kilingspore for the group? Just curious before I look on the web for general info. Thanks
  16. M

Nova 1624. Opinion

Good morning. I am in the market for a midi lathe, and I am looking at the laguna revo 12, but came across the below nova 1624_42 II with extension bed. This is way more lathe than I need, but it is a good value. it seems laguna makes better machine, but what is your experience with the nova...
  17. M

Black Walnut Burl

I would have him cut it open before you pay. If dried and cast in resin, you can make multiple times that amount selling blanks. Or sell a couple to recoup your investment. Look on etsy what burl blanks are selling for.
  18. M

Knowing when to Toss

I don't keep old things, I "upcycle" and "plan to re-purpose" them. My wife makes sure to remind me that my mom is a hoarder
  19. M

Bowl Question

I plan at a high level a general shape, then let it take shape. It also gives me room for "forced redesigns" (i.e catches) without getting disappointed if the bowl does not come out exactly as planned. For smaller turnings (pens, finials, bottle stoppers) I take a much deliberate approach. Have fun.
  20. M

COVID 19

Wishing your wife a fast and full recovery.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS