Search results

1. creasman

Portaband improvement for Lefty's

Nice fix. You should suggest that to the company.
  2. creasman

Any interest in greenwood?

Sounds fun. I'd be interested if timing works with my schedule.
  3. creasman

Cleaning up glue squeeze out

The full top is about 84" x 30". The glue up shown in the previous post is for one of two sections. My planer can take boards up to about 13" in width so that was the max width of each section. The top is hickory with some walnut accents and then trimmed in pecan. Complete, I calculate that...
  4. creasman

Indeed! That took about all the clamps I own... which is why woodworkers always say you can never have too many clamps.
  5. creasman

There are a lot of good suggestions here to solve a common problem. Probably the best is to minimize the amount of glue you need/use in the first place, thereby attacking the problem at the source. This saves on glue as well as cuts down on the amount of cleanup work needed afterwards. It...
  6. creasman

Use hide glue.
  7. creasman

Member Appreciation

Well said.
  8. creasman

Rookie Mistake- solved

Depending on where it's at you could remove a bit of material in order to get a grip on it, pull it out, then patch the spot with a scrap of purple heart. You could position the leg so the patch is not noticeable. It might help to provide a picture to the forum.
  9. creasman

Lie Nielsen Tools for sale/New tools added

@Hmerkle That might be a bit difficult since you also included it in your follow up (which he won't be able to remove) ;)
  10. creasman

Old Growth Redwood

Nice wood.
  11. creasman

Planemaker's edge float angle

Nice work!
  12. creasman

Planemaker's float set

This article suggests 90 degrees for the rake. I'm guessing that 90 plus/minus 10 degrees is a good range. It's changing how aggressive the cut will be. We'll have to compare notes once we've had a change to use them, proper.
  13. creasman

Planemaker's float set

For now they are just friction fit. I meant to comment on the tang. The tang is tapered in both directions. These work something like the square cut nails you find in old construction. The square, wedged shape of the tang gives a lot of surface area to grip the wood along it's entire length...
  14. creasman

Planemaker's float set

Seems @Scott H and I had the same idea of making our own floats. I just completed my set. I posted previously on making the handles. Here I'll describe my process for making a set of four floats -- two edge floats and two side floats. The difference in each pair is that one cuts on the pull...
  15. creasman

The edge float came out really nice, Scott.
  16. creasman

My Third Covid-19 Project; MESDA Inspired Corner Cupboard

Beautiful craftsmanship! Really nice work. Can you provide more details on how you created all the custom molding, fluting, etc?
  17. creasman

I have an antique float that was hardened. It was dull and I couldn't sharpen it -- file would not cut. I took the float out of the handled and heated it to remove the temper. Was then able to resharpen the float. Only issue was the process of removing the temper warped the blade a bit. I...
  18. creasman

That's good to know about the sharpening. Did you do anything to temper/harden the steel or just leave it as is?
  19. creasman

I generally order tool steel from McMaster-Carr. They have a good selection, good quality stock and reasonable prices. I ordered 3' of the 3/16" x 1" O1 bar stock (McMaster-Carr) for about $35 + S&H. With this I am able to make all four floats and still have a bit left over. Total cost of...
  20. creasman

I'm also in the process of making a set of floats. I have the edge floats finished. One cuts on push stroke and the other on the pull. This allows you to work with the grain on either side of the wedge cut. I've scoured the web and managed to find a few resources, though not many. Here are...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS