Search results

1. Chilihead

WNC Pony express

WNC Pony Express. -raffle prizes - I know this is short notice, but I’ll be stopping by Jeremy Scuteri’s place late morning/lunch time today to pick up my winnings. I live in Asheville I am happy to pick up anyone elses prize if you
  2. Chilihead

Raleigh area machine shop

Interesting on the clamping trick......give us an update in a few weeks on whether it stayed put or moved again please.
  3. Chilihead

Hairline Cracks in Oak

I have a bunch of red oak and much of it has similar cracks in it. Often the crack does run through aboard, so, as others have already mentioned, be mindful of that when structural concerns are there. I've have very good luck filling these cracks with epoxy. It does double duty helping to...
  4. Chilihead

Vinegar - Steel wool stain

I agree with the others here, I'd leave it the way it is. I like the subtle contrast the sap wood brings. However, if you are still wanting to pursue it, I'll offer you this. I do not think that adding more iron solution will create much change on the sap wood. It's a chemical reaction between...
  5. Chilihead

I love a challenge

impressive! Way to resurrect it!
  6. Chilihead

Something happened with my jointer...

Congrats on the new toy! I have an older Grizzly 8inch that looks exactly like that.
  7. Chilihead

Roubo workbench complete.

Very nice!
  8. Chilihead

Brian Boggs bandsaw webinar

In case anyone is interested, Brian Boggs is having another bandsaw webinar this Saturday. Details below. Also he is looking for a few folks to be live in the audience, so if you’re nearby Asheville and would like to do that, give them a call. - I’m just sharing the info and am not directly...
  9. Chilihead

Finally done- Dining Table

well done!
  10. Chilihead

Rigid planer

I've had the Ridgid 1300LS planer for 16yrs and it has been a champ. Not a problem from it!
  11. Chilihead

Harbor Fright Dust Collector

I've had one for 6 years and it works perfectly for my home shop. I upgraded to a Wynn cartridge filter and installed a Thein baffle in the inside. The Wynn improved the suction greatly and the baffle keeps the filter very clean. I recommnend all 3!
  12. Chilihead

Brian Boggs Bandsaw webinar

I just saw this in Brian Boggs’ recent newsletter and thought some of you might be interested. He’s offering a bandsaw webinar on March 16. - His precision on this machine is astounding! Should be a good class. https://go.chairmakers.com/welcome
  13. Chilihead

Farm table build

I've had really good luck aging oak for that barnwood look with a solution made from dissolving steel wool in vinegar. It makes a chemical stain. The process takes a few minutes for the solution to react with the tanin in the wood. So if you try it be patient and don't put too much on at first.
  14. Chilihead

Waterlox loss

I really like using Waterlox. I've found though that it is more prone to gel in the can than anything else I've used. I've had some success with Bloxygen yet that is unpredictable. I'v switched to Stop Loss Bags - https://www.stoplossbags.com or you can get them from Lee Valley too. I've found...
  15. Chilihead

Phenolic saw plates cheap!

Very kind of you Rob. Yes, I'd love to take you up on your offer, and yes we can meet at Klingspor whenever is convenient for you. - Michael
  16. Chilihead

Phenolic saw plates cheap!

What a great offer and thanks for coordinating this. I'd like 2 for a Grizzly 1023RLW. I'll need to arrange shipping or Pony Express to Asheville with you as I cannot make the picnic. Many thanks!
  17. Chilihead

epoxy table top finish

Well for anyone following this thread, I did sand the seal coat down using 220 as Phil suggested. This was a good idea. It helped even out the surface which helped when I poured on the final coat last night. As hoped, the finish came out clear and no sanding marks show through at all. - This is...
  18. Chilihead

epoxy table top finish

Thanks Matt. Did this very thing, just using a heat gun instead of the blow torch. It worked well.
  19. Chilihead

epoxy table top finish

Agreed, their instructions are not very good. I was trying to do a seal coat with the epoxy like the video mentioned using modpodge to reduce air bubbles. Maybe using epoxy for the initial seal was a bad idea, but its done now. Because I was trying to keep it thin and differing absorption...
  20. Chilihead

epoxy table top finish

Hmmm......and what would you say if the first is actually already currd - b/c. i missed that 8-12 window

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS