Search results

1. beloitdavisja

Bessey 24" K Body Revo $35 at HD

Noticed that HD carries the 24" K Body Revo Parallel clamps for $35/each [link], which is at least $5 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Looks like not many stores have them in stock, but you can do a ship-to-store, or free shipping on orders over $45. Doesn't look like this is a sale price...
  2. beloitdavisja

Padauk Box

One of my pen customers asked me to make a box for his upcoming 5th anniversary, wood being the "traditional" gift for year 5. I came up with a padauk box with ebony splines (5 on each edge). I put some inlay banding (sourced from fellow NCWWer Matt Furjanic) on the top, along with some...
  3. beloitdavisja

New Lathe Tool Sharpening Setup

Took the plunge and bought a whole new sharpening setup. 1/2 HP Rikon Slow Speed Grinder with 180 grit & 600 grit CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonders OneWay Wolverine jig with VariGrind. I'm totally impressed and thrilled with the CBN wheels. 180 for shaping and 600 for sharpening & touch...
  4. beloitdavisja

Vendor Fair Setup Advice?

I signed up for my first booth to sell my turned items. It's a small vendor fair put on by a HOA down the road from me. Any general advice for those who sell their wares? So far I've: - Signed up for Square to accept cards - Bought a portable table and had a banner made - Started ramping up...
  5. beloitdavisja

Site Issues

Saw that the site was experiencing issues yesterday, and I see that the database had to be restored since I had a post and a few pictures in my gallery that are no longer there. I was going to re-upload and re-post, but the gallery is not accessible either. Do we know what happened? Not...
  6. beloitdavisja

Charlotte CL - $500 Jet 16-32 Drum Sander

Not mine, etc. Seems like a good deal. https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/6718143552.html Jet 16-32 Plus Drum Sander - $500 (Gastonia) hide this postingimage 1 of 2 © craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap (google map) make / manufacturer: Jet model name / number...
  7. beloitdavisja

Advantage Lumber - Rough lumber bundles blowout

Just got an email from Advantage Lumber (in Grover, NC) that they're trying to clear out all their rough lumber at the NC location. Link below to the site to buy bundles of lumber (must buy entire bundle for price). Doesn't mention any lengths, but there's a variety of species and bundle sizes...
  8. beloitdavisja

Charlotte CL - $300 drum sander and more in Cherryville

Not mine. Sounds like some good deals if in good working order. https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/6699163520.html Woodworking tools - $2200 (Cherryville) hide this postingimage 4 of 13 © craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap (google map)...
  9. beloitdavisja

Mahogany Box Urn

A box urn I recently completed and delivered to the widow. Her husband had died last summer unexpectedly on a business trip, and she wasn't sure what she wanted to do with the ashes. My neighbor gave her my name for making a wood urn, and we worked together on what she wanted it to look like...
  10. beloitdavisja

$5 ReStore Millers Falls No 10

Picked up a Millers Falls No 10 from the local Habitat ReStore for $5. Comparable to a Bailey No 4 1/2 smoothing plane. Rusted, but in decent shape. Disassembled and put all the parts in an EvapoRust bath overnight. After scrubbing the parts with a small wire brush, looks MUCH better. Sharpened...
  11. beloitdavisja

Charlotte Meetup and Shop Crawl - Sat June 30

We are planning a Charlotte Meetup & Shop Crawl for Saturday, June 30th 10AM. I'm thinking that we start with JohnW's shop, and he can give a short demo on ebonizing. That will give people some wiggle room for getting there before we take off for the next shop. Please chime in here if you...
  12. beloitdavisja

Charlotte Meetup?

Any more thoughts on a Charlotte area meetup soon? Putting it out there again so we don't lose momentum. Honestly, I'd come hang out even if there wasn't a planned demo!
  13. beloitdavisja

Figured Mahogany Recommendations?

I'm about to make a box urn for a friend, and she wants to use mahogany, since her late husband loved mahogany. I want to find something with some nice figure - any recommendations for places that would have it in stock? Wanting 4/4 or 5/4 and 6" wide. I was thinking of driving up to West Penn...
  14. beloitdavisja

Cherry Burl Processing

A friend of mine had a cherry tree cut down in her yard and gave me the burl that was growing on it. It's a little larger than a soccer ball, probably about the size of a large medicine ball. I've turned burl before but never started from scratch. Any advice on how to process it? I think the...
  15. beloitdavisja

Cheap Laser Engravers

Wondering if anyone has any experiences with the cheap chinese laser engravers that are all over ebay? Mainly wanting it so I can start engraving pens (wood & acrylic) as well as burning a logo in the bottom of my bowls. Because of the bowls, I'm looking at the engravers that have an open floor...
  16. beloitdavisja

Nova Smart Chisel

I was watching James Hamilton's "Cool Tools" video from the Atlanta Woodworking show today and really liked this concept: smart tool handle that has built-in LED lighting and a rechargable remote for the lathe (only certain Nova models compatible) with on/off and speed increase/decrease. I'm...
  17. beloitdavisja

Dewalt 12" Sliding Miter Saw - $350

Lowe's has the Dewalt DWS779 on sale for $349 - 12" sliding miter saw. Saw one in stock today at the S Charlotte Lowe's on Ballentyne Commons Pkwy. The newer DWS780 model is still $599 Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-12-in-15-Amp-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw/1000145735
  18. beloitdavisja

First Segmented Bowl

My first crack at a segmented bowl. 8 rings, 40 pieces. Cherry & Walnut.
  19. beloitdavisja

DIY Wolverine Jig

Came across a youtuber that made plans for a DIY wolverine vari-grind jig and decided to give it a try. I've been freehanding sharpening my bowl gouges, and I'm too cheap to plunk down $100+ for the real wolverine setup. :D Now I just need to build a base for my sharpener for the jig to sit in...
  20. beloitdavisja

Yarn Bowls

Few months ago I made a yarn bowl for my wife, and she took it to a knitting group and got all the others wanting one. So I've been busy cranking out a few of these. Fun little projects. Pecan Ambrosia Maple Silky Oak

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS