Search results

1. pop-pop

Mortar & pestle

Our older son is an excellent cook and requested a mortar & pestle for Xmas. I haven’t turned anything in a while and discovered how turning skills rust. Mortar is sycamore and pestle is hard maple. Surfaces to be handled are coated with HUT friction finish and the food contact surfaces are...
  2. pop-pop

Vise workshop second prototype

The first prototype vise for next year’s workshop is over at Phil’s shop in beta test. I needed some wood for a second prototype vise to tweak some dimensions and finalize the build sequence. These painted walnut cabinet doors and drawer fronts are from a kitchen decorative accent project...
  3. pop-pop

Twelve inch disk sander - $60

HF 12” disk sander. Smooth running and quite heavy so it stays put. Table tilts up to 45 degrees. Vacuum port. TEFC motor. Selling it because I got an oscillating belt sander.
  4. pop-pop

Folding portable workstation

Back in 2015 I made a folding portable workbench to use at workshops and woodworking demonstrations. That thread is https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/portable-workbench-from-ryobi-quickstand.56714/#post-521712 but the photos have gotten lost. As I’m getting closer to my...
  5. pop-pop

Bosch orbital sander repair

This morning my orbital finish sander slowly stopped moving. A bit of disassembly revealed a locked up orbital bearing. After a douche with brake cleaner here is the bearing ready for greasing and re-assembly. And ready for attaching the pad. One of my friends calls this operation a "ZDR"...
  6. pop-pop

Leg vise retrofit (3)

This thread is a continuation from Leg vise retrofit (2) and describes installing the X-cross in an existing leg vise. The first choice is how to anchor the pins for the cross arm upper ends. There are basically two options; 1) drill holes through the leg and chop for the brass pins, or 2)...
  7. pop-pop

Leg vise retrofit (2)

This is a continuation from Leg vise retrofit (1) and describes how I made the X-cross linkage. My goal was to make a deflection-resistant linkage that is still fairly compact. Here are the raw materials for this X-cross linkage. The two arms are made from 1/2" x 2" 6061 aluminum bar stock...
  8. pop-pop

Leg vise retrofit (1)

In 2010, I built this bench and included my first ever leg vise using a 1-8 threaded rod for the screw. This bench leg contains two nuts to both suspend the screw and resist the axial clamping force. My next project is to retrofit this vise with a new screw and to eliminate the parallel...
  9. pop-pop

Forstner labels

Probably most of y'all have a Forstner set like this. Several years ago after being annoyed by the box labeling, I labeled the bits using label maker. You can get a label maker at an office supply for $30 or so. It was a little bit (no pun intended) of time well spent.
  10. pop-pop

Sold - Leg vise hardware

This hardware is from my first leg vise over 10 years ago. Eighteen inch long 1-8 screw with 2 nuts, self-aligning bearing, and parallel guide with pin. $20 for the lot. I am starting on a project to retrofit my original leg vise with an Acme screw and X-cross. If you have been thinking...
  11. pop-pop

Contractor saw alignment

On a too hot day recently I re-aligned my 20+ year old table saw. I haven't seen PALS mentioned recently and several new woodworkers have joined so I thought it was worth a mention. Aligning a contractor table saw requires moving the trunnion assembly (which is bolted underneath the top) in...
  12. pop-pop

Sliding leg vise with X cross

This photo shows the first leg vise that I made (in 2010) and the latest one. I considered a sliding leg vise when I made the bench (2010) but dropped the notion because the parallel guide would have interfered with storage. The X cross mechanism doesn't protrude under the bench solving that...
  13. pop-pop

Contractor saw dust chute

Back in early 1999 I bought a Delta contractor saw and it came with this dust chute: In the queue since then was finding a way to collect sawdust "more better". Today I finished and installed this dust chute which connects to a Dust Deputy and a 14 gallon Ridgid shop vacuum. Nothing fancy...
  14. pop-pop

Portable dumbbell screw X vise

◦ Here is a status report on my third (and probably last) portable vise design experiment using the $6.87 Gold’s Gym dumbbell vise screw sold at Walmart. ◦ This vise is 16” tall with a 7 ¼” throat opening. The chop is guided by a unique ball-bearing St. Peter’s cross mechanism...
  15. pop-pop

Celtic knot

Needed a handle extension for my lathe tailstock and wanted to try turning a Celtic Knot. The little piece of walnut is a stop for the lock lever. Of the many methods to prepare the blank, I chose to saw through the square blank all but about 1/8" like this:a Then inserting the contrasting...
  16. pop-pop

Egg beater drill spindle lock

This Millers Falls #2 has become my go to tool for pilot holes, etc. The design dates back to the late 19th century. The drill does not have a spindle lock and I need one sometimes. I had this "bright" idea that a 1" or so screw into this tapped hole would serve as a spindle lock and also be...
  17. pop-pop

Wooden level

Installed a TV wall mount today and used this 24” wooden level that I purchased from an antique emporium in Detroit last fall. What a delightful tool to use! The vials are not adjustable but they are spot-on accurate. Apparently it was a high quality promotional item from an oil company...
  18. pop-pop

Trick or treat ship

My neighbor crafted this really neat plywood saiIing ship for their trick or treaters to ride in. My photo misses the sails neatly folded (don’t know the nautical term) at the top of the masts.
  19. pop-pop

Inexpensive portable woodworking vise

After working with the inexpensive dumbbell screws on the Moxon vise, I wondered if I could design a “get started” vise for new woodworker who didn’t have much money to spare. Here is what I came up with: The vise is just under 18” tall and can be clamped to a workbench, a picnic table, the...
  20. pop-pop

Wixey digital angle gauge

Noticed that edges from my table saw and jointer were not square after setting the machines to 90 degrees with a Wixey WR300. Wrote to Wixey asking if there was a tweak screw to restore the accuracy. Here is part of his response: First, the accuracy of the gauge is only 0.2 degrees to start...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS