Search results

1. J

Hanging floating mantel

I bought a 3"X 78" metal bracket from a company to hang a beam for my daughter. It screws to the wall and has five 1" rods that go into the beam to a depth of 6". Just wondering if anyone has drilled a beam for this and any hidden ways to screw it up. My plan is to drill the holes with a 1-1/16...
  2. J

Issue with new Andersen windows

I installed several large Andersen picture windows this summer. I peeled the protective film off as soon as I was finished. Now I find I have to clean the windows almost every week (I surely need to) as it almost immediately collected spots, dust etc. I guess it has a sticky residue left over...
  3. J

Festool Kapex problem

My blade guard will not function anymore. It caught, I heard a break and now it will not rise and fall. I searched for authorized repair dealers and it looks like you have to send it back to them. Has anyone with a Kapex ever fixed their blade guard?
  4. J

Best clear deck sealer

I just had my deck cleaned and want to put a clear penetrating sealer on. What is the best brand to use?
  5. J

Heart pine

I am looking for around five or six, 1X6 heart pine boards. I have called several suppliers but no luck so far. I am in Wilmington and have called Pittsboro and Gibsonville. Anyone know a place that stocks some HP boards?
  6. J

Popular Woodworking Stepladder

I am building the stepladder that was shown in a spring issue of Popular Woodworking. I have almost finished it and it calls for a leather strap on each side to be the angle restraint. One one side of the folding step ladder. I have never worked with leather before and do not know where to find...
  7. J

Anyone built a Murphy bed?

My daughter tells me it is her turn for my next project. She needs a Murphy Bed. Anyone here built one? I see Rockler has hardware kits. Any advice greatly appreciated.
  8. J

member doing Green and Green

There is a member here from the Morehead City area that does Green and Green furniture. Anyone know this gentleman?
  9. J

Respirator

I am looking for a good respirator for my woodworking and also I just bought a paint sprayer and will need one with that as well. Any advice appreciated.
  10. J

Fugi Mini 3

Just ordered this sprayer with the gravity feed gun. I am starting from ground zero with experience with spraying so any advice is appreciated. I will probably be spraying water based clear finishes, as I have been using wipe on oils prior.
  11. J

adjustable hand sander

I am going to be making some templates for the table just featured in Fine Woodworking. I need a relative long hand sander I can use to smooth out the curves in the templates. I remember on some site I visited awhile back, a plan for a sander that would adjust to the curves and then you could...
  12. J

Help needed to decide IF I should buy a lathe

I have a full shop, other than a lathe. I love owning tools and have some tools (benchtop mortiser) that I seldom use, but like having if I need. I am now building my 3rd Maloof rocker and I have had a friend turn the front two legs on the first two. Decision time for me. I could buy a lathe...
  13. J

Heart pine 8/4

I have some heart pine, but need one or two 8/4 pieces to finish a hall table. Also would need a couple of 4/4 x 6' or 8'.
  14. J

Walnut for my next Maloof rocker

I have built two rockers for my daughters and now it time for mine. I want to find some Walnut with character. My first rocker, I found some 8/4 walnut with some worm and sap invasion from the sides and very dark. It turned out great. I want to built mine out of walnut, but want something...
  15. J

Finish for jenga game

I am building 3 large sized jenga games for family members. Each block is 1 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 10 1/2" (cypress). I will have to finish 162 pieces. My original plan was to put waterlox on, then a paste wax, but was wondering if there was a finish that would give a slick feel without all the steps...
  16. J

tool for pulling galvanized nails

I know this is not fine woodworking, but I need some advice. I have to start replacing the deck boards on my pressure treated deck. I know pulling those galvanized nails will be difficult. Any advice on what puller would be the best for this job? I only have the standard 12" long nail puller.
  17. J

Glue for through tenons

I am building a table with multiple through tenons. My concern is the glue staining the end grain as I push the tenons through the mortise. Just wondering how you guys would handle this. I am thinking of prefinishing the ends of the tenons but also thought of just applying glue to the tenons...
  18. J

Cross grain gluing

I am building two jewelry boxes (Norm's plans) for my nieces. The plan calls for a mirror mounted on the bottom of the lid (1/2" X 9" X 19") which is held in place by small narrow moldings with a rabbit cut to receive the mirror. These moldings are held in place by brass screws. I started on the...
  19. J

Advice needed for buying Incra router table

I want to upgrade my current home made router table and fence. I have, so far, determined the Incra table and fence (option #2) is what I want. I also want one of their two lifts that are available. Anyone have this that can offer advice? Which lift is best suited? I am currently using the...
  20. J

glass thickness for cabinet door

I am finishing some cabinets for new media room. I ordered the glass and just specified it was for cabinet doors and did not specify any thickness, thinking it would be 1/8" thick. Now I get ready to install the glass and see it is 3/16" thick. Just wondering if this will be too heavy for the 2"...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS