Search results

1. Carl Fisher

Anyone know where to get bamboo?

Do you know if it will glue with wood glue or will I need to use an epoxy? The stranded and compressed stuff like you linked is what I'm after rather than the veneer over a core of MDF/HDF. I'm going to stop by lumber liquidators sometime soon and grab a sample of what I think will work. The...
  2. Carl Fisher

Lots of good info. I might be able to get by with a box from Lumber Liquidators. I'll have to edge glue for the top and bottom to get the full width I need, but they do have a 3/8" option that will probably yield about 3.5" of usable width once I cut off the tongue and groove. I think that may...
  3. Carl Fisher

I actually had looked at their site at one point, but the only bamboo listed is 4x8 sheets for $97 and it's just veneer over ply which doesn't do the trick in this case. Maybe I'll give them a call. I'm trying to make some asian inspired boxes and I can't think of any other relevant wood to use.
  4. Carl Fisher

I'm looking for 1/4" or 3/8" bamboo for some relatively small box projects. I can't seem to find anywhere affordable for what is supposed to be a "fast growing, cheap and renewable" source of material. I considered using bamboo flooring, but even that has moved to engineered with MDF or HDF...
  5. Carl Fisher

Need Wood donations for Light Sabers

Message sent
  6. Carl Fisher

Need Wood donations for Light Sabers

If I can figure out how to get it to you, I have a bunch of mahogany that you're welcome to. It's not a lot but it may be enough to help. Anyone in the south Charlotte area willing to do a pony express?
  7. Carl Fisher

Free Product Samples of a Wood and Clearcoat polishing compound

That's exactly why I was posing those questions. I think it's important to our membership to have an understanding of what it is being offered and what the benefit may be over products that would be perceived to be competition. I was hoping (fishing for?) a more technical explanation like that...
  8. Carl Fisher

Ok, that clarifies a bunch. Unfortunately I was a little confused by all of the references in the original post. So it's a polish. Where would you rate it in terms of abrasiveness? Currently I use EEE Ultra-Shine and previously used products such as Novus 3, 2, and 1 polishes. I'm trying to...
  9. Carl Fisher

I have a few questions for clarification. Is this a polish or is it a hard coat finish? Does it penetrate and fill porous materials (open grained woods) or sit on top of the surface as a shell? You mention UV cure, is this product going to require UV cure like Alumilite's Alumi-UV (another...
  10. Carl Fisher

I'd like to give it a try for the pen market. I make higher end custom (not kit based) pens and when I use wood, a CA finish is just too unreliable (think crazing and yellowing over time). I've been searching for an alternative and would be willing to give this a look.
  11. Carl Fisher

Beautiful Paduak

First thing I thought of before reading the comments was dark contrast. Black cast iron, ebony, african blackwood, etc...
  12. Carl Fisher

Looking for a Pen Turner around Statesville, NC

I'd definitely talk to Adam. I'm betting he can get it done for you. :)
  13. Carl Fisher

First try at laser inlay marquetry work

Ahh, that's a limitation of this machine currently. It doesn't understand color to power as there is no PWM control for the laser. When I look into upgrading to a smoothieboard or reprap style board, then that opens up options like that but for now it's one operation at one power level since the...
  14. Carl Fisher

First try at laser inlay marquetry work

Hi Kevin. Would love some scrap if you have some to spare. Send me a message and we'll talk details. As for vector cutting the female pocket, this was a 3/4" scrap of pine that I was playing with so raster was the only way I could see to get the pocket in there. I would have had to chisel out...
  15. Carl Fisher

Looking for someone to help me design and install my dust collection - happy to pay

Thanks, that definitely helps to know the longevity. I'm going to see if I can go that route but there is still the nagging issue of where to put the DC itself. I prefer to vent outside the shop and also want to keep the in-shop noise to a minimum. That leaves the attic or some new enclosure...
  16. Carl Fisher

Looking for someone to help me design and install my dust collection - happy to pay

How do you like the dust right hose? Does it seem to hold up well? And for others before they say it, I'm aware I'll lose CFM with the corrugated hose, but I think for what I'm using it for that I'll still be alright. If I use a planer or jointer once a year that's a lot. Primarily it's going...
  17. Carl Fisher

So I'm considering going a slightly different route now. Based on the way I use my shop I'm just not sure that I need to have permanent piping and drops to every tool. Since there is only one of me, I'm only ever using one tool at a time. I might setup everything with the dust rite ports and...
  18. Carl Fisher

What I have is the PSI "economy" pipe. Picked some up off CL that was never installed.
  19. Carl Fisher

I figured for my CNC I'd have a long drop of 2 1/2" flex hose since it needs to move around a 1 meter square footprint. That should isolate it well enough from the metal overhead I would think?
  20. Carl Fisher

I'm curious why the aversion to placing it in the attic? No matter where it lives, there will still need to be a fairly tall vertical run somewhere in the mix to get up to the ceiling. I'm not against building a small overhang on the back of the shop and put the unit outside but that just adds...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS