Search results

1. Yelverton

Lee Valley Bench Dog Bushing

This is what I did, as well. I got a 3/4" spiral upcut router bit from Amazon and finished the holes with a 3/4" Irwin speed bore drill bit. Worked out just fine.
  2. Yelverton

New Shop

Giant shop, brewery, and flex space. You're living right.
  3. Yelverton

New Shop

Any interior pictures? The size is fantastic.
  4. Yelverton

Sharpening a File With Vinegar - Cuts Like A New Black Diamond!

Same thing here - I used vinegar to clean up two old vises and it did a great job. The key for me was rinsing everything in a baking soda bath after to prevent surface rust.
  5. Yelverton

Progress on Workbench

I'm thinking about doing the same with mine (BLO), but I have some Watco teak oil one step finish just sitting around. Not sure if there would be any issue with using that, but I don't think so.
  6. Yelverton

Progress on Workbench

Looks awesome. What finish (if any) are you going to use on the top?
  7. Yelverton

Finished my new Moravian workbench

Awesome, it's a fun project when it starts to turn into something. What are your top and base made out of?
  8. Yelverton

Let's see this Ruobo!
  9. Yelverton

Need input on problem with wood allergies

I have the exact same machine and it's plenty powerful for my small shop. I run it all the time when I'm in there and then will set the timer for 1-2 hours when I leave, depending on how much dust I made.
  10. Yelverton

Yeah, it's not light, but really not too bad. Obviously the front slab is the heaviest, since it has the vises attached. At 12" wide with the two back vise jaws attached (front jaw/screw removed), I'm guessing it's maybe 75-80 lbs. That was another benefit of making the top in two sections...
  11. Yelverton

Edit: I believe I misunderstood the post, haha. I think everybody does it. There were some recent posts here about the free book "The Anarchist's Work Bench" - I read it and it's great. The author talks a lot about evolving his benches with each iteration. He also makes a great point (and I'm...
  12. Yelverton

Absolutely, love that it's knockdown and it seems solid so far. Fingers crossed that the tusk tenons don't need much attention to stay seated.
  13. Yelverton

Thanks, I'm definitely looking forward to getting to work. The first time I went to a NCWW picnic, I told someone that I wanted to get more into hand tool work and they encouraged me to take a class with you. At the time, I didn't have nearly enough knowledge to make a class like that...
  14. Yelverton

Well, almost finished. Still need to build the tool tray, add end vise, add dog holes, trim the ends of the top and cut up some material for the lower shelf. Doesn't seem like much after using mostly hand tools to build what you see here. We're going to be moving early next year, so I wanted...
  15. Yelverton

what kind of wood

Looks like white oak to me.
  16. Yelverton

Need advice on vise restoration

Much appreciated. It's definitely a different color. Should look good with some cherry faces.
  17. Yelverton

I got this wrapped up today, figured I'd share. Primed, painted, and clear coated. Looks good, now I just need a bench to put it on.
  18. Yelverton

0 Wow, 6-8 weeks. I assume the rust that was on mine was about 40 years' worth.
  19. Yelverton

Yeah, better than I expected for sure. The only challenge was getting into the nooks and crannies with the wire brushes. Otherwise just going through the motions.
  20. Yelverton

Yep, I put some light machine oil on the parts that won't be painted, screws, rods, and faces. Plan is to prime the other parts today.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS