Search results

1. karlkoch

Aged Oak "basket bowl"

Thank you. I did not sketch this one although I do sketch many of the pieces I make ahead of time, especially the hollow forms. I have done enough of these that I am starting to know the wall thickness that I want to leave for a given router bit/depth. Also, I am starting to compile notes on the...
  2. karlkoch

Bradford Pear

Nice shape and finish Gene! I like the rim and base detail.
  3. karlkoch

Aged Oak "basket bowl"

I've combined the various techniques that I've been playing with lately. Shouldered oak bowl - turned and sanded to 180 grit then cut with parting tool on inside and indexed router jig on the outside to make the "basket" effect. Sandblasted to accentuate grain and create texture then ebonized...
  4. karlkoch

Charlies Segmented Turning Video on YouTube

Fun video! And I learned some things...thanks for sharing Charlie!
  5. karlkoch

New Shop - Build Pictures

I can second this advice. I used solatubes throughout my home and shop. I frequently don't need to turn on lights in storage areas etc. that normally would be dark.
  6. karlkoch

Summer Projects

Gorgeous work!
  7. karlkoch

New bowl

That live edge rim looks great with the burl grain. Nice job!
  8. Pecan "kitchen utensil holder"

Pecan "kitchen utensil holder"

Rough turned green from a fallen Pecan tree. Dried in brown paper for 6 months. Finish turned, woodburned, ebonized, gilding wax, and finished with Danish Oil and brown wax.
  9. Pecan "kitchen utensil holder" bottom

Pecan "kitchen utensil holder" bottom

Rough turned green from a fallen Pecan tree. Dried in brown paper for 6 months. Finish turned, woodburned, ebonized, gilding wax, and finished with Danish Oil and brown wax.
  10. karlkoch

Playing around with pyrography on turned pieces.

So...for the washes of color I used highly thinned white acrylic and "verdigris" green chalk paint. Both types of paint were purchased at Michael's craft store. Paint it onto the texture and then gently wipe it off the raised areas. It's easy to take off too much but you can always do it again...
  11. karlkoch

New from New Bern

Hey Jay...good to see you on here...hope you are finding time to make cool "stuff"!
  12. karlkoch

Playing around with pyrography on turned pieces.

I've started making my own pyrography pen tips out of nichrome wire and playing around with embellishing my turned pieces. Here are a couple of early results. I'm also using paint washes in the texture created by the pyro pen. The first 3 are made from cypress and the bowl on the gold lame...
  13. greenfluted3.jpeg

greenfluted3.jpeg

15" cherry bowl. Fluted with router on lathe, Outside textured with wire wheel, carved, painted, and then sanded back to reveal wood. Finished with satin acrylic spray. Inside and base are natural cherry color. Wood from tree that fell during Hurricane Florence.
  14. greenfluted4.jpeg

greenfluted4.jpeg

15" cherry bowl. Fluted with router on lathe, Outside textured with wire wheel, carved, painted, and then sanded back to reveal wood. Finished with satin acrylic spray. Inside and base are natural cherry color. Wood from tree that fell during Hurricane Florence.
  15. greenfluted7.jpeg

greenfluted7.jpeg

16. karlkoch

New Bern January lunch

See you there...Famous has great sandwiches etc.
  17. karlkoch

Need use of 15" planer....

Shop Class in New Bern has a 15" planer which I have used. Also a drum sander that is at least 15" wide.They rent their shop/tools for $10/hr. They normally sell the shop time in 8hr blocks but you might talk them into selling you 1 hour or whatever you need. Talk to Mo, the owner, at (252)...
  18. karlkoch

Sea Urchin

Thanks for all of the kind comments. This piece was inspired by two presentations that I attended at the 2019 AAW Symposium in Raliegh. One by John Jordan and the other by Troy Grimwood. I combined ideas from both and added a little of my own.
  19. karlkoch

Changing Privacy of a media "Album"

I cannot figure out how to change the privacy on my media "album" so that others can see the contents. Can I change an existing album or do I have to start over again? Thanks! Karl
  20. oakbowl4.jpg

oakbowl4.jpg

Oak bowl from tree that fell in wetland on our property. Some spalting in wood. Finished with Waterlox and microcrystalline wax.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS