Search results

1. B

Chatoyancy

I was finishing up some kid chairs and noticed the wood colors really got radical now that the finish was on. Actually this is pretty typical of newly finished hardwoods that are joined at right angles. The way the light hits the grain makes a big difference. I took a few photos to show the...
  2. B

Router bit storage box

This thread hasn't been far from my mind so when I got a couple of new Infinity bits, I realized that I'd run out of space and now was the perfect time. Thought I'd pass this along for some amusement. https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/router-bit-storage-ideas.66349/ Cabinet...
  3. B

Chair for a toddler

Thought I’d share photos of a chair I made for my first son in 1974. He was a little over 1 year old at the time. He adopted the chair as his own for a year or so until I made him a larger one. Second son comes along and he gets the chair. Both boys were pretty rough on the thing requiring many...
  4. B

Mortising chisel sharpening

Thought I'd pass this potential tip along for sharpening mortising chisels. If you've got a lathe with a 4-jaw scroll chuck, that makes a handy holder for a mortising chisel. Run the lathe at slow speed and use a cone tip in your Dremel tool. A light touch works best and really get things...
  5. B

Powermatic Mortiser

Public Surplus: Auction #2290658 I've seen this and it looks pretty good. About 600 lbs. so its not a bench top.
  6. B

Small part cutting on the miter saw

Thought I'd show a jig I recently used on my miter saw to cut segments for a small octagonal shadow box. I cut the clamp block out of scrap on the bandsaw. It took a while longer to make the cuts compared to holding the little parts with my fingers, but I still have my fingers and the little...
  7. B

Drawknife sharpening

I’ve been tool sharpening for the wood program for a nearby Boy Scout camp (Camp Ottari). Hand planes, spoke shaves, scrapers, carving tools, and straight chisels are no problem, but the drawknives are. After a summer of Scouts using these drawknives, the edges are really beat up. With...
  8. B

Inflation amusement with old port. pwr. tool prices

While looking through a copy of a 1945 American Craftsman’s Supply Co. catalog, I got to thinking about what it must have been like for a home workshopper to need a portable power tool. I did some inflation calculations and realized that the prices at that time commanded a significant proportion...
  9. B

Shop drawer storage unit for my two sons

In 1978 Wilson Art came out with a Japanese print laminate series, one of which was Victorian Marble. I liked it so I got some and did my bathroom including the tub surround with it. The kids grew up with that pattern in their young lives. In 2006, we got a new tub surround and out came the...
  10. B

Ice Scraper Christmas presents

Here’s a gift idea that works well for people living in the icy windshield prone areas. The 19” long handle makes it easy for short people to reach over the SUV hoods of today. The wood is 7/8” thick, 5” wide and 19” long. The bandsaw kerf is from a coarse-toothed .025” thick blade. The...
  11. B

pizza cutter handles

I turned some Pizza cutter handles for the pizza cutter from Rockler (34913). It makes a nice enough pizza cutter. The department store cheapie is shown for size comparison. No, the handles are not dishwasher-safe and have to be removed before cutter is put in the dishwasher. Anyway, my two sons...
  12. B

Dado Set Storage Box

I recently bought an Onsrud dado set that was advertised at a good price ($65.00±). I had an occasion to try it out and was very satisfied. The box it came in and all the spacers made it 52-pickup when sorting through for what I wanted. Laying things out just took up too much bench space not...
  13. B

Salt & Pepper Mills

Here's 8 pairs of salt and pepper mills. I've done some pepper mills before, but with use, all the fancy beads and coves interfered with cleaning. This time I used a smooth form with a flair at the top of the barrel. The large bulbous top allows easy gripping and the flair of the barrel keeps...
  14. B

Small foot stools

These stools seemed popular this Christmas, so I thought I'd post a few shots of the process and end results. The top is 8x15x1-1/4", overall footprint 8-1/2x8-1/2x15-3/4. Legs are splayed 12º in two directions. To get the tenon to exactly fit (.003 smaller) the hole, I had to use a metal...
  15. B

Raised panels on the shaper

Just did up these photos so I thought I would share them here. This is a shop-made fence for doing raised panels safely. Edgeband a piece of 3/4 plywood with hard wood like maple. Drill a hole for the spindle. Clamp the plywood. Install the cutter and lower the cutter into the wood to make...
  16. B

Just pulled up a chair....

I just found this site recently from the recommendation of a friend. Looks like there's a pretty good group here with lots of interesting things going on. I saw a couple of threads I'd like to respond to, so I signed up and here I am. I'll be doing some lurking from time to time, but mostly I...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS