Denatured Alcohol

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I noticed yesterday that neither Home Depot, nor Lowes, list denatured alcohol on their websites. Amazon sells it as "fuel." I know that California outlawed the sale of denatured alcohol a few years back, but I didn't think that it was going to be a national trend. Where do you folks buy denatured alcohol these days?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I noticed yesterday that neither Home Depot, nor Lowes, list denatured alcohol on their websites. Amazon sells it as "fuel." I know that California outlawed the sale of denatured alcohol a few years back, but I didn't think that it was going to be a national trend. Where do you folks buy denatured alcohol these days?
Got this at Walmart. Suspect a mere renaming because of some Federal regulation? Dunno.
F93132A0-61CF-4AE7-81EA-63446B306659.jpeg

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
This is most likely supply issues. We require low water ethanol for testing. Recently, the entire supply of the grade we purchase increased 5x in cost. All of the supply has now been diverted to medical use only. We had to revalidate all of our methods using a different grade of ethanol. Our manufacturing uses a specific denatured ethanol and we are taking shipments when they can send them, but when we generally need a shipment. Sometimes they are a few days early, sometimes late.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I sometimes buy at Tractor Supply, Agri Supply, Sherwin Williams or other paint stores.

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
CA is one of the largest markets, if not the largest market, in the country. It's easier to remove DNA from the website than it is to develop the necessary workarounds that would allow people in other states to order it, or check if it's in stock

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
It is not illegal in Calif. I was there end of May and bought some.
Supply issues my guess.
Anyway, get the fuel Denatured Alcohol, it is purer, lower water percentage

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is not illegal in Calif. I was there end of May and bought some.
Supply issues my guess.
Anyway, get the fuel Denatured Alcohol, it is purer, lower water percentage
From what I read on a scroll saw forum it is illegal to sell in some CA counties.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anyone considering making their own alcohol?
Here is a "system" on display at the AAW made primarily of wood as I understand. Maybe a few metal screws. Don't remember the wood types that were used. You can do some interesting things with paint. It won some award, People's Choice(?), maybe.

No samples were available.

Unknown-9.jpeg
Unknown-9.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS