New Lathe and First Turn

Mauser44

New User
John
I usually drill a whole to the depth I want, then work for the outside in until I core it out.. minimizes punching through the bottom. 100% on the lip. You an use it to ride the bevel in...

spartyon8

Peter
User
I removed most off the wood with a 2” bit and went to start the lip. That is where it keeps being thrown off the lathe.

Mauser44

New User
John
Try the opposite..
Start the lip so you are not working right at the edge and pushing at the upper most of the bowl, while the bowl is between centers. Then drill the middle and ride the bevel in...

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Peter, here's a YouTube video to watch. This is the bowl hollowing PUSH cut:
and you can watch this guy all the way through if you'd like but for hollowing, jump to 29:00 and watch from there. He shows both the PUSH cut and the PULL cut WITH the tail stock still in the bowl! :

spartyon8

Peter
User
I am making a tool handle for a carbide tool. I need to drill 1/2” hole in the end of this. How do you recommend doing so on the lathe? I am afraid to use my chuck again after the blank being thrown multiple times.

Attachments

• AD618012-998A-4566-92AA-1315C0CBF67D.jpeg
    AD618012-998A-4566-92AA-1315C0CBF67D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 128

Mauser44

New User
John
On a side note, for next time drill first. The tail stock will sit in the hole and ensure that it is centered when you turn the handle......

Mauser44

New User
John
I do have a jacobs chuck. I thought about drilling first but wasn’t sure how long or where to neck down.
You can try using the Jacob chuck on the headstock and hold the handle with your hands, slowly and horizontally. Good luck.

If you drill a hole first, even if it is a couple inches long, it will act as a guide when you finishing it

spartyon8

Peter
User
Got my chuck problem figured out. I was bottoming out the ten just before it bottoms out on the shoulder. Thanks for all the help guys! I am really enjoying turning pieces. The carbide cutter cam in yesterday and all I can say is wow... what a difference!

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS