Kitchen island progress

eyekode

New User
Salem
A couple months ago I asked for feedback on a kitchen island design. Here is the old thread: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/kitchen-island-take-2.66601/

As a follow-up I have completed most of the project. Some pics:

The carcass is plywood. The drawers are dovetailed hardwood with plywood bottoms. The outside is air dried walnut. All of the shaker style panels are bookmatched 1/4" walnut. The stone top is natural quartz (quartzite) and is the star of the kitchen.

I still have to pick final hardware, finish a drawer, add toe kick, and last but certainly most noticable: finish wrapping the back in Walnut!

There is 42" (at least) on all sides as recommended by various forum members.

And 15" of overhang on two sides. The stone guys insisted on support:

Thanks again to all the people who helped hash out the plan!
Salem

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That came out really nice. I had to go back to your original thread to see what was discussed at that time.

"And 15" of overhang on two sides. The stone guys insisted on support:"

Are those steel supports? A good idea with a 15" overhang.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Yeah they were a big unknown for me. I didn't really understand what they were before the stone guy put them in my hand (a month after I had built the carcass!).

But I managed to retro fit supports:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks great! I built a smaller one for my last house, pictures are in my gallery. It is cherry with a granite top. I bought the cabinets for the island in my current house but had to build a wall to support the upper level countertop (that helps to hide the clutter). I screwed the same type of metal bracket to the top of the 2x4 wall to support about a 12 or possibly 15 inch overhang. It is working well. That countertop is also granite.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Nice looking and I am sure your wife is pleased. I like how you pull out panels to access baking sheets and spices. Good idea. What is the appliance in the first picture?

Roy G

eyekode

New User
Salem
Roy it is a drawer style microwave. It is very convienient but way overpriced for what it is. I will be super pissed when it breaks. I wanted to put the microwave on a counter but got vetoed!

The pull out panels are by rev-a-shelf. They a use Blum undermount soft close mechanism. The soft close is great but there is quite a bit of play in them. However it can be tuned out by adding some guide bumpers inside the cabinet. We like the functionality a lot.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
The stove deserves a separate review! It is very nice. The burners are wonderful. The broiler in the large oven is fantastic. The spacing between burners is great too . My wife loves the small oven because it heats up so fast. I like the griddle but it is slow to heat up and slow to cool. Plus it is huge so it radiates a ton of heat. The hood is wonderful too. Lots of thought went into the hood, the blower for the hood, the makeup air for the hood etc. It was worth it in the end but was a major PIA because my contractor didn't really understand the requirements of a 1200cfm fan!

Anyway this was part of a total redo of our kitchen that included bumping out a wall, adding an office, and about a year's worth of disruption to the house (and we still haven't done the back yard!).

But in the end everyone in the family is super happy with the kitchen. We cook almost every night. And the new island is now the main gathering place for my family of 6!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS