IKEA anyone?

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
So, I buzzed through my local IKEA today. I was looking for a cheap “Billy bookcase” to hold my expanded book collection.

No luck, but I remembered IKEA used sell solid wood counter tops. So, I check the “as is” section for a cheap wood counter and found this:

Ash, and looked to be solid. Discovered it’s not really solid, but it still meets my work top requirements.

So, marked down from $219 full price to...out the door for $19 + tax.

Marked down because it was not perfect. There was a tiny ding on one corner. We’re talking a teeny-tiny ding.

Now, I need to decide on using either marked down IKEA base cabinets or building a robust base out of some well dried 4 x 4 Douglas Fir.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Seems like a deal. I believe all Ikea cabinets are particle board. I went with a different brand when we redid the kitchen and paid extra to get plywood. The one kitchen I made I used Oak plywood. A full kitchen is a good sized project, at least for me, but a cabinet or two is not. I would build.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
How'd you discover that? The end view pics look like solid wood.

Jeff, They sure do! Since I knew that IKEA used to sell wooden counter tops, I just asked them if this one was solid. Fortunately, he knew it was MDF with an Ash overlay.

I had to closely reread the description to confirm that it was an Ash veneer.

Nevertheless, for use as a general work counter, I was weighing a variety of work surfaces ranging from SYP, Formica or MDF etc. I have been using a 5’ long work surface for more than 10 years. It’s some type of HDF/MDF and has worked just fine for my needs of a very flat, stable and level work surface.

I do need some cabinets below to store odds and ends. A higher than standard height kitchen counter is actually pretty close to ideal. Hence, if I locate some inexpensive base cabinets, I can get on with pursuing other stuff.

I think for around $21out the door, this counter top will get it done without burning time and materials on comparable surfaces.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS