A "Quiet" vacuum?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
From this thread;
I got to thinking (especially after using my "REAL" mind-numbingly noisy Shopvac this weekend for about 30 minutes...)
I have been watching for a "deal" on a Festool vacuum for at least a year, and simply cannot justify one at the prices...

Many of you have the Fein and tell me it works fine (pun intended) for use with the Festool sanders and TS55 saw...
Please confirm that, then...

Is the Fein as quiet as the Festool?
Is there any hose storage on the Fein?
Is there a quieter vacuum?

Provided all of that is true - which one do you reccomend?
There are numerous versions available: Fein Turbo I (around $300), Fein Turbo II ($350-$400), Fein Turbo II HEPA ($500+), Fein Turbo IIX AC HEPA, Fein Turbo X AutoStart / AutoClean (and at least for the last two, you are within spitting distance of a "big" Festool...

Oh, and yes, from my last Festool post, I have considered the CT15...but once you add the "good" hose, and hose garage (another problem with the Shopvac...) it isn't that great of a price concession...

I welcome your thoughts...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My Fein is very quiet. Love it. Use a ClearView cyclone in front of it.
I remember when I visited - we cold talk over it while it was running!
What version do you have?
Is there hose storage?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Hose storage is to toss it ( long aftermarket hose only cost a left nut, not an arm and a leg) under the outfeed table. A bit of exhaust tube holds the floor wand. I'll have to go look at the manual to see if it is a turbo I or turbo II. I'll snap a picture in the morning.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is what I could find on comparison of shop vac style vacuums:
Festool 583492 CT 26 E HEPA Dust Extractor - 62dB
Makita VC4710 12-Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum - 59 dB
FEIN Turbo II Vacuum Cleaner - 66 dB
CraftsMan CMXEVBE17595 Wet/Dry Vacuum - 73 dB
Bosch VAC090A Shop Vacuum - 77 dB

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
This is what I could find on comparison of shop vac style vacuums:
Festool 583492 CT 26 E HEPA Dust Extractor - 62dB
Makita VC4710 12-Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum - 59 dB
FEIN Turbo II Vacuum Cleaner - 66 dB
CraftsMan CMXEVBE17595 Wet/Dry Vacuum - 73 dB
Bosch VAC090A Shop Vacuum - 77 dB
Super data. I bet my old Craftsman is more like 90 dB. Can't run it without my headset. Gad , the Makita is $800 and quite a few reports of failures. But 6 dB is significant.

Checked. it is a Turbo II.

Attachments

• 20210518_052747.jpg
    20210518_052747.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 149

taylormade

New User
BT
From this thread;
I got to thinking (especially after using my "REAL" mind-numbingly noisy Shopvac this weekend for about 30 minutes...)
I have been watching for a "deal" on a Festool vacuum for at least a year, and simply cannot justify one at the prices...

Many of you have the Fein and tell me it works fine (pun intended) for use with the Festool sanders and TS55 saw...
Please confirm that, then...

Is the Fein as quiet as the Festool?
Is there any hose storage on the Fein?
Is there a quieter vacuum?

Provided all of that is true - which one do you reccomend?
There are numerous versions available: Fein Turbo I (around $300), Fein Turbo II ($350-$400), Fein Turbo II HEPA ($500+), Fein Turbo IIX AC HEPA, Fein Turbo X AutoStart / AutoClean (and at least for the last two, you are within spitting distance of a "big" Festool...

Oh, and yes, from my last Festool post, I have considered the CT15...but once you add the "good" hose, and hose garage (another problem with the Shopvac...) it isn't that great of a price concession...

I welcome your thoughts...
I can barely hear my Festool above the tool running, often times I think it is not running. I have no complaints on the Festool vac. Cleaned but never changed the HEPA filter going on 7 years. Waiting for a deal on a Festool is like waiting for hell to freeze over!

bainin

New User
bainin
I have a Jet650 CFM collector and find it to be ALOT quieter than my ridgid shopvac. though more expensive than a shop vac-they have been coming down in price ..a 650CFM unit is about $350.
At some point, I need to get the hoses/attachments for the Jet so i dont have to use my shopvac anymore for point to point cleaning.

b

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
My Fein vac has served me well and we can easily have a conversation over it. It is certainly not silent, but still very quiet. No hose storage built into it. On the very positive side, it has great suction.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have a Jet650 CFM collector and find it to be ALOT quieter than my ridgid shopvac. though more expensive than a shop vac-they have been coming down in price ..a 650CFM unit is about $350.
At some point, I need to get the hoses/attachments for the Jet so i dont have to use my shopvac anymore for point to point cleaning.

b
Vacs and dust collectors are very different tools and best suited for their intended use. Vacs have less airflow but higher vacuum. Collectors have higher airflow but much lower vacuum.

BTW, the Jet 650 is not a dust collector. It is a chip collector and high power fine dust distributor. It may make sweeping up easier, but will assure you breath all the finest dust.

PS: I bet my old Craftsman vac is nosier than your Ridgid!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
My Fein has a wire basket that attached to the top. Has brackets for looping a length of hose and the basket catches whatever I need to sit down. BTW I've had it 15 years.....Not sure how long Steve Coles had it before me.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
I recently upgraded from the Bosch dust extractor to a CT26 (open box, used deal only saved me $100 or so). I would just save your dollars a few more months and go with the Festool. The hose garage is nice, it’s very quiet, and you can add a Bluetooth remote which is awesome. Plus it integrates well with your TS55...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I recently upgraded from the Bosch dust extractor to a CT26 (open box, used deal only saved me $100 or so). I would just save your dollars a few more months and go with the Festool. The hose garage is nice, it’s very quiet, and you can add a Bluetooth remote which is awesome. Plus it integrates well with your TS55...
We had an argument in another thread about the festool vacuums...
Why is bluetooth "awesome"?
What do you use it for?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can understand Bluetooth on power tools if you are trying to manage many tools spread out over a large construction site. It helps with tool inventory, tool working status, theft prevention, and with some tools will alert others of potential injury related operations (think kickback).

Bluetooth for power tools for DIYers, not so much! Why? Because as a user, I am right there with my tool and I don't need my phone to tell me that my tool or battery has malfunctioned or needs charging.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did look this up -

How does festool Bluetooth work?
It works by communicating between a chip in the dust extractor and a chip in the tool. Currently, there are 5 tools that are AWS compatible and 1 cordless dust extractor. ... If you go with a Festool Bluetooth battery, one battery can communicate with the extractor no matter which Festool 18V tool you're using.

So now that makes sense - without a tool that "plugs" into the vacuum outlet, you need (want) a way to activate the vacuum when you use a battery operated tool!

So, for more pedestrian (those of us intending to use corded tools) the bluetooth is likely a feature that will go unused...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Fein II is quiet and reliable. Us it with Festool track saw, sander, and much more.
but as others have mentioned - you do not have hose storage with the Fein, right?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS