Share pics of your letter openers?

cpaul

New User
Chris
I made a letter opener for my Mom last Christmas and just came across a pic of it today. Bubinga with maple handle inlays, and a goldstone (aventurine glass) marble set in the handle so it can spin freely. It was a fun project and I think I'll make more for gifting this Christmas. I'd love to see pics of others made by my neighbors - care to share?

1620826830540.png

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is Nice Chris @cpaul!
how did you keep the "marble" in the handle? ("through" hole in the bubinga and slightly smaller hole in the maple? or ???

Claus

Claus
User
Only one I could share is one I bought. But I’d be interested in your process for making those. Have any pictures?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Very pretty, but for the actual function, one needs a bit thinner point and sharper edge.
So this is my letter opener. It needs a nice wood handle. One more project on my list. Maybe just a bit of walnut scrap.

Attachments

• 20210512_133447.jpg
    20210512_133447.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126

cpaul

New User
Chris
That is Nice Chris @cpaul!
how did you keep the "marble" in the handle? ("through" hole in the bubinga and slightly smaller hole in the maple? or ???
That's right Hank @Hmerkle. The center piece (bubinga) has a through hole just slightly larger than the OD of the marble. Also, the bubinga handle is routed (with a collar and template) to create a tight fit for the maple inlays, which stand proud of the bubinga and have radiused edges so it's comfortable in the hand. The maple inlays get a through hole about a third the diameter of the marble, with the inside surface 'countersunk' (carved) to fit around he marble. Lots of finicky fitting before glue up.

Oh, forgot to mention this was the first project I finished with CA glue - will definitely be using that again.

@Claus, sorry no pictures of the build, but I'll get some for the next one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS