Update to SW Emerald Urethane problem

Wally

New User
Wally
Here's a link to the original post. I was having REAL problems with open time and brush marks. I'm just posting hoping this may help someone who might make the same mistake I made.
After seeing some advice (I don't remember which forum) about storing paint in a cold garage, I put all of my paint in a small unused chest freezer and hung a 40 watt light bulb in it. Freezer unplugged of course.
I never thought to check the temp.
Turns out it was 90° inside the freezer. I was basically cooking the paint slowly.
I bought another gallon recently and stored it in the house. Although I haven't brushed any yet, I sprayed some cabinet doors yesterday and dry time was several hours. I'm sure when I get around to brushing and rolling the face frames I'll find the problem is solved as well.
Sooooo, if you store your paint in an unused freezer, check the temp.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Here's a link to the original post. I was having REAL problems with open time and brush marks. I'm just posting hoping this may help someone who might make the same mistake I made.
After seeing some advice (I don't remember which forum) about storing paint in a cold garage, I put all of my paint in a small unused chest freezer and hung a 40 watt light bulb in it. Freezer unplugged of course.
I never thought to check the temp.
Turns out it was 90° inside the freezer. I was basically cooking the paint slowly.
I bought another gallon recently and stored it in the house. Although I haven't brushed any yet, I sprayed some cabinet doors yesterday and dry time was several hours. I'm sure when I get around to brushing and rolling the face frames I'll find the problem is solved as well.
Sooooo, if you store your paint in an unused freezer, check the temp.

I used this product on a customer's bathroom cabinets for a new installation, as the supplier could not give us the color the customer needed.
The reason I used it, is the local Sherwin Williams branches have been told they may no longer blend dark colors in the T77 Pre-Cat lacquer product and the time needed to get a sample to their industrial division plus supply time was too long. So the Emerald Urethane was really the only solution.
I had to thin it 10% to spray and it went on fine, but long drying times, long open coat times. It flattens out really well, should be fine to brush or roll on. The product is great for the DYI customer, but not for the professional finisher.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
When I store a partially used gallon of paint I turn it upside down. I have had paint last 3 years doing this. Sherwin William store told me this would not work. I took a 2 year old can, half full, to them for shaking. They had a record of when I bought it and could not believe the paint was still usable.

I have been doing this for years and can not remember how I found out about it. I have never found anyone else who knew about this until I told them.

Wally

New User
Wally
I used this product on a customer's bathroom cabinets for a new installation, as the supplier could not give us the color the customer needed.
The reason I used it, is the local Sherwin Williams branches have been told they may no longer blend dark colors in the T77 Pre-Cat lacquer product and the time needed to get a sample to their industrial division plus supply time was too long. So the Emerald Urethane was really the only solution.
I had to thin it 10% to spray and it went on fine, but long drying times, long open coat times. It flattens out really well, should be fine to brush or roll on. The product is great for the DYI customer, but not for the professional finisher.
I agree... it's great for DIY. I'm having to thin about 15-20%, but I just have a 2 stage HVLP. After my coat my first coat yesterday, I'm beyond pleased with the result.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS