For Sale Listings - Check out the Facebook page

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are looking to upgrade your tools, make sure you are checking out our Facebook page. After the Facebook post a few weeks ago, I have been checking in pretty regular. Just came back from picking up a Dewalt planer. Someone posted today a grizzly jointer, table saw, bandsaw and a lot of other stuff. The grizzly tools didn’t look 10 years old. So keep your eye out if you are in the market

RobH

Rob
Corporate Member
Is there an address for the Facebook page and is it viewable to those of us without Facebook?

bs7584

Brad
Corporate Member
Attached is a screenshot of the FB group.

Attachments

• AC24F01E-E039-4A5B-8A5E-E3910485148D.png
    AC24F01E-E039-4A5B-8A5E-E3910485148D.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 219

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@RobH and everyone - Look up at the tool bar
There is a "button" there called social media:
If you click on the down arrow, you can navigate right to any of our social media pages!
OH! and they open up in a new tab too...
(Thank you Scott (@Grimmy2016) and Ron (@FlyingRon) for making it SO easy!

1614258956198.png

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Is there an address for the Facebook page and is it viewable to those of us without Facebook?

Here is the facebook group address: Facebook Groups

You are able to see posts without an account. However, you will not be able to comment or message someone, unless they include their phone or email in the post.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
You have to be a member of FB and also request to join the group once you are signed into Facebook at Facebook Groups We normally don't accept brand new FB members but will accept you if you mention you are also a member of the NCwoodworker.net group when you answer the questions for admission. You can add the group to a dashboard and get an alert when a new post is made. We don't allow "Off-Topic" posts so if it doesn't relate to woodworking it gets zapped and membership is permanently canceled if repeated so follow the rules and all will be good..

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
If you are looking to upgrade your tools, make sure you are checking out our Facebook page. After the Facebook post a few weeks ago, I have been checking in pretty regular. Just came back from picking up a Dewalt planer. Someone posted today a grizzly jointer, table saw, bandsaw and a lot of other stuff. The grizzly tools didn’t look 10 years old. So keep your eye out if you are in the market
Are you referring to "posts' on the NCWW Facebook page that show items for sale? Or are you simply using the Facebook Marketplace?

In my view FB Marketplace has become overrun with vendors selling goods ("Ships to you") rather than local ads. I have to scroll and scroll to find local stuff. For that reason alone I tire very easily of the scrolling needed. The advantage is that when someone posts someting on FB you can see there name (or whatever they used to get onto FB) and that in and of itself lends a little more credibiltiy to a potential transaction (compared to the prescribed anonymity of Craigslist).

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Are you referring to "posts' on the NCWW Facebook page that show items for sale? Or are you simply using the Facebook Marketplace?

In my view FB Marketplace has become overrun with vendors selling goods ("Ships to you") rather than local ads. I have to scroll and scroll to find local stuff. For that reason alone I tire very easily of the scrolling needed. The advantage is that when someone posts someting on FB you can see there name (or whatever they used to get onto FB) and that in and of itself lends a little more credibiltiy to a potential transaction (compared to the prescribed anonymity of Craigslist).
If you go to the left side of the page you can select local pickup inside each large category.
1614279937073.png

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ok I will look for that. (EDIT - that helps a lot; this did not get rid of 'sponsored' posts but what I did not expect that - END EDIT)
Thanks

Last edited:

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member

No we have a good selection of posts on the NCWW Facebook page with people posting items to sell. That’s were I found my planer and saw the Grizzly tools. Not Facebook marketplace

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Some of us HATE Farcebook and won't look at it, so if you ae looking to sell tools, I suggest multiple platforms. I have done well on this forum and Craig's List. I may have to go E-bay for my old audio stuff.

I got an account for a High School reunion. Some Chinese kid stole the account to dodge the Great Wall. FB refused to recover, block, delete, or take any action. I won't do business with a company like that. So tvrgeek on Facebook is a two bit crook, have fun if that is your thing.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Some of us HATE Farcebook and won't look at it, so if you ae looking to sell tools, I suggest multiple platforms. I have done well on this forum and Craig's List. I may have to go E-bay for my old audio stuff.

I got an account for a High School reunion. Some Chinese kid stole the account to dodge the Great Wall. FB refused to recover, block, delete, or take any action. I won't do business with a company like that. So tvrgeek on Facebook is a two bit crook, have fun if that is your thing.
We are offering an alternative. The NCWW Facebook group started as a backup to the .net group for when we have server problems. Lots of folks prefer to have only one source for their social networking and have never used discussion groups like ours. Face book has a what they need.

I've been a power user of FB for a while and am available to assist you if you want to give it another try.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
From a security standpoint, always utilize 2-factor authentication wherever possible. For example, if I am logging in to Facebook with a new device, after entering my username/password, it will text me a 6 digit code to my phone that I am required to enter before letting me in. The point of it is that even if someone knew your password, they would still need access to your physical device (i.e. your phone) to gain access.

This is not specific to Facebook either. I have 2-factor authentication setup for my bank, tax software, other social media sites, Google, etc. If you want to protect yourself from identity theft, using a strong password in addition to 2-factor authentication will keep you safe. Most sites are now offering this, but you have to opt-in to it (usually found in the security settings). Some sites now are even requiring it.

I've had a Facebook account for 17 years now and I've never had an issue with unauthorized access to my account. I personally use it to stay connected with my college classmates, as well as being in some really great groups (NCWW, an alumni group for my college, parents group for my sons' school, my neighborhood group, NC State Parks, laser engraving, and several other WWing groups with specific focuses like Bandsaw boxes, segmented turning, pen turning, etc.) The NCWW group is one of the best groups I'm in.

But to the point of the OP, there have been quite a few people that have joined the NCWW facebook group just looking to sell their tools. In some cases, these are not woodworkers, but relatives/spouses who are selling the tools of their loved ones who either cannot use them anymore, or have deceased. It is easy for them to post there as opposed to joining here and waiting for privileges to post in our For Sale forum (which is a semi-frequent Help Desk question). This post was highlighting that there were a lot of things posted for sale recently (and at pretty good prices)

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I remain unconvinced that the NCWW Facebook group is safe because of the many issues regarding compromise for Facebook itself -- they have done little to protect their users (my son has had severe issues with a compromised password by an unknown party and Facebook has ignored his efforts to rectify the issue). I will not get onto Facebook, period, full stop. I use email and the phone to stay in contact with family and friends, or forums like NCWW.

If the Marketplace for the NCWW group has items for sale there that are not available to all of our forum members here, then that defeats our goals. I suggest our webmaster develop a method to replicate those items for sale into the Items for Sale/Wanted forum here.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
From a security standpoint, always utilize 2-factor authentication wherever possible. For example, if I am logging in to Facebook with a new device, after entering my username/password, it will text me a 6 digit code to my phone that I am required to enter before letting me in. The point of it is that even if someone knew your password, they would still need access to your physical device (i.e. your phone) to gain access.

This is not specific to Facebook either. I have 2-factor authentication setup for my bank, tax software, other social media sites, Google, etc. If you want to protect yourself from identity theft, using a strong password in addition to 2-factor authentication will keep you safe. Most sites are now offering this, but you have to opt-in to it (usually found in the security settings). Some sites now are even requiring it.

I've had a Facebook account for 17 years now and I've never had an issue with unauthorized access to my account. I personally use it to stay connected with my college classmates, as well as being in some really great groups (NCWW, an alumni group for my college, parents group for my sons' school, my neighborhood group, NC State Parks, laser engraving, and several other WWing groups with specific focuses like Bandsaw boxes, segmented turning, pen turning, etc.) The NCWW group is one of the best groups I'm in.

But to the point of the OP, there have been quite a few people that have joined the NCWW facebook group just looking to sell their tools. In some cases, these are not woodworkers, but relatives/spouses who are selling the tools of their loved ones who either cannot use them anymore, or have deceased. It is easy for them to post there as opposed to joining here and waiting for privileges to post in our For Sale forum (which is a semi-frequent Help Desk question). This post was highlighting that there were a lot of things posted for sale recently (and at pretty good prices)

thanks. That was what I was getting at. Not really trying to start a Facebook debate. I did a lot of buying and selling for my tool on Craigslist. But Craigslist is not what it use to be by no means. The guy I met when I picked up my planer just joined the Facebook page to sell his tools. It was easy and thought he could get directly to the person that might be interested in buying. Didn’t even know about the other site and I assume would find it more troublesome since he just wanted to sell.

Not to open a can of worms, but at the rate the FB page is growing, compared to the regular site, it’s going to be interesting to show how the group and the directors respond to it in the future. Think about the potential fund raising if the FB group, with all its members, get some how included in the raffle and can purchase tickets from the FB site.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I remain unconvinced that the NCWW Facebook group is safe because of the many issues regarding compromise for Facebook itself -- they have done little to protect their users (my son has had severe issues with a compromised password by an unknown party and Facebook has ignored his efforts to rectify the issue). I will not get onto Facebook, period, full stop. I use email and the phone to stay in contact with family and friends, or forums like NCWW.

If the Marketplace for the NCWW group has items for sale there that are not available to all of our forum members here, then that defeats our goals. I suggest our webmaster develop a method to replicate those items for sale into the Items for Sale/Wanted forum here.

i completely agree l. FB has big issues. I agree too about the need for some type of integration between the sites. The problems with FB aside, social media is a powerful powerful tool

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Some days all I see from the NCWW FB page is ads to buy or sell tools, lumber, etc. The one that I found "odd" was the first time post for someone selling thousands of live edge slabs, etc.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS