For you scrollers - Ideas please....

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@ScottM showed me how to take a picture and create a jigsaw puzzle on the scroll saw.
I watched him and Berta do some 3-D pictures from Christmas cards and I LOVE this one below...

Looking for suggestions from our scrollers! (you too Bruce @sawman101 and Jerry @Jclrk and anyone else I am likely missing...)

Christmas card.png

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Being a pattern designer is a special ability. This is why we pay for patterns.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess I should be a little more specific - I know you cut out portions of the card after glueing it to the plywood / substrate etc. but I am not sure of the layering etc. and if you need multiple cards...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’m not sure what you are looking for. But pattern making is my profession.
19 textile design patents to prove it.
if you can show me examples of the end product and the design ideas I can make a pattern to help you get there.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
One card. Glue to a 1/8” of BB PLYWOOD. Finish the top with shellac. Then cut the birds and possibly the holly leaves. Mount the leftover card to another piece of BB PLYWOOD. Now you can glue in a spacer in the spaces and glue the pieces on that. There are other ways too. (I can’t read minds, I do still love you).

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I've never tried to do anything quite like that. I've made many layered pattern pieces, some I use the self-framing method of cutting the pattern at maybe 3 degrees and pushing the cut piece part way through so it is raised. I've made other pieces by cutting out the various pieces I want to be raised from the rest of the piece by using a spacer behind the part to be raised. When it comes to your card, that's a horse of a different color; I'd need to work on it first before I can advise.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am kind of waiting on Scott (@ScottM) because I think he did a demo of something like this at one of the Klingspor Extravaganza...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This one is a bit tricky to make a puzzle because of all the plain white spsce. It is better to use a card that is "busy". Any way the basic process is:
1. Attach the card to a piece of Baltic Birch plywood. I use 3M Super 77 and 1/8" BB.
2 . I then like to spray the card with shellac.
3. I use Flying Dutchman Superior Puzzle blades but any 2/0 skip tooth blade will work EXCEPT a spiral or revere tooth blade.
4. If I am making a full card puzzle I just start cutting jig saw puzzle type pieces following lines in the picture.
5. If making a "tray" puzzle I take a second piece of BB the same size as the piece the card is mounted on and using double sides tape in all 4 corners attach it. I then drill a small hole and cut the border. Once cut I glue the border to the back piece.
6. Cut the remaining card like in step 4.
7. For raised or 3D pieces I use double sides tape to temporarily attach a piece of BB to the area of the puzzle I am I want raised. Then cut the piece or pieces you want. Separate the double thickness piece that are taped and then permanently glue together.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
those are really cool, thank you for sharing
What is hard to see is some of the pieces stand proud an 1/8". For example on the bottom card the snow man is proud. On the next to last on the flag and Teddy Bear is proud.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This one is a bit tricky to make a puzzle because of all the plain white spsce. It is better to use a card that is "busy". Any way the basic process is:
1. Attach the card to a piece of Baltic Birch plywood. I use 3M Super 77 and 1/8" BB.
2 . I then like to spray the card with shellac.
3. I use Flying Dutchman Superior Puzzle blades but any 2/0 skip tooth blade will work EXCEPT a spiral or revere tooth blade.
4. If I am making a full card puzzle I just start cutting jig saw puzzle type pieces following lines in the picture.
5. If making a "tray" puzzle I take a second piece of BB the same size as the piece the card is mounted on and using double sides tape in all 4 corners attach it. I then drill a small hole and cut the border. Once cut I glue the border to the back piece.
6. Cut the remaining card like in step 4.
7. For raised or 3D pieces I use double sides tape to temporarily attach a piece of BB to the area of the puzzle I am I want raised. Then cut the piece or pieces you want. Separate the double thickness piece that are taped and then permanently glue together.
Thanks Scott,
We discussed how to make a puzzle, and I have done that...
What you did at one of the KE's (at least what I think you did) was more of a diorama, where certain pieces were proud and others were displaced, making the picture look more 3-D.

P.S.
I was going to post a picture of the puzzle I made for my BIL, but I cannot find the original and all the links here on NCWW are broken!!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would be happy to teach the process in small groups. If course you would need to travel and work in a shop with a lake view.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would be happy to teach the process in small groups. If course you would need to travel and work in a shop with a lake view.
AH, that might kill me... puttin' some of that "learnen' stuff in my head while I was in a pretty place!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS