New deck w/ screened porch & roof

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I have been getting quotes/estimates on tearing off the deck on my house and replacing with a screen porch and roof. The joists are starting to show deterioration and I can't see putting walls and roof on a so-so framing structure. The deck is also not level....several inche of drop from house to outer side. Not sure if it was built that way or it got that way over time. I don't like the way the faux trex looks (not sure how long it's been there) so will replace it also. The house is 50 years old and I don't know if the support structure is original or not.

Out of 5 estimates, only one has proposed using more posts than the current 3 posts and it was the lowest estimate....about half what the bigger companies want. The current and new structure will be 12' x 20' with the 12' sides going away from the house wall. I just don't see the need for 2 new posts 6' from the house wall and two more at the house wall. I've seen screen porches this big and bigger with just the outer support. Tell me I'm not crazy. Here is a pic of the current deck. I believe they would all use 2x12's for the ledger board and double rim joints with 2x10 floor joists. Yes, I know, the dish will have to be moved...lol.

1597602747314.png

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Almost need to see the condition of your ledger connection to know what will be needed - three to figure in a few contingencies to control costs, etc.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
A screened porch and roof will be significantly heavier than the existing deck so maybe more posts are in order. Be interested to see how they tie in the porch roof with the existing roof overhang.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
And this is where a little investment in a structural engineer to review and approve the plans is worth it. A screen porch will weigh more than a deck, I'd want to be sure the footings are adequate and the posts adequate to support the weight.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Probably existing post don't have a poured footing under them, just resting on solid concrete blocks. Have you thought about setting up new porch with sliding glass doors (when you screen it in, and add a roof it becomes a porch) to make it a three season porch. You can buy treated T&G flooring, so floor would be without gaps, which allow critters to come in. Still slope it away from house.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
A screened porch and roof will be significantly heavier than the existing deck so maybe more posts are in order. Be interested to see how they tie in the porch roof with the existing roof overhang.
I want the existing overhang/soffit to be removed. One company plans to leave it. They do aluminum framing with SIP panels for the roof. Not sure I'm on board with that.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Probably existing post don't have a poured footing under them, just resting on solid concrete blocks. Have you thought about setting up new porch with sliding glass doors (when you screen it in, and add a roof it becomes a porch) to make it a three season porch. You can buy treated T&G flooring, so floor would be without gaps, which allow critters to come in. Still slope it away from house.
It does not appear to have footings, just the slab so it will have to be sawcut where new posts will be needed. I'm having the contractor put down screen over the joists before putting down the floor. Also having the floor boards "picture framed" so you don't see the ends of boards and the gaps which can let critters in.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
It does not appear to have footings, just the slab so it will have to be sawcut where new posts will be needed. I'm having the contractor put down screen over the joists before putting down the floor. Also having the floor boards "picture framed" so you don't see the ends of boards and the gaps which can let critters in.
No footers is a dicey deal - explains why they want posts all around as well if this will be almost a 'room'. Not sure how tou add footers through an existing pad but I guess if you cut enough away you can pour what's needed. This is a good time to consider the final aesthetics overall for the desired appearance - above and below. Contractors don't add any 'look' to their work unless it's in the plans.

Altering the roof line will be a major decision as tying into the existing construction is a bit costly compared to a low slope, corrugated metal deck roof that may not be attractive to you.

Looks like this will be a great addition, BTW.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If I could swing it $ wise, I would consider having it built so it could be converted into an extra room, or a sun room. This means a roof joining into the existing with valley.

Of course this means an engineer, a contractor, etc. but it would add more value than just a deck.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
If I could swing it $ wise, I would consider having it built so it could be converted into an extra room, or a sun room. This means a roof joining into the existing with valley.

Of course this means an engineer, a contractor, etc. but it would add more value than just a deck.
Yes, especially if it was finished as a living space with HVAC, etc. That roof mod would be a big expense...but better than a SIP, for sure.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The current and new structure will be 12' x 20' with the 12' sides going away from the house wall. I just don't see the need for 2 new posts 6' from the house wall and two more at the house wall. I

A few more pictures and some closeups from different perspectives will be helpful. What does the deck look like looking towards the house from the back?

I'd consult with your local building inspectors in Hendersonville to get their advice too.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Brent, since I used to do this occasionally up norf, my 2CENTS. You will already be into the water up to your navel,SWIM. Go the whole 9 yds, you will never regret it. IF you plan to stay in this house. EVERYTHING needed for the screen porch is what is needed for 4 season room. Footings, etc. Go sliders on the sides, double hung windows at the end. this gets the screened porch in spring and fall, heated and ac in hot months. install a mini split on the window side above the windows. great upgrade which you will get most of it back if you sell

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I'd consult with your local building inspectors in Hendersonville to get their advice too.
Yes, especially if it was finished as a living space with HVAC, etc. That roof mod would be a big expense...but better than a SIP, for sure.

I have emailed the local inspector to see if he would comment. They want $40 to come out and "consult". Glad I pay taxes !!

We live in the MOUNTAINS where it's not as hot as eastern NC. We don't need additional living space and don't want a 3 or 4 season room....just a screened in porch where we can sit if it's raining or not and not have skeeters biting us in the evening. The roof over the porch will be a gable roof and tied in to the existing roof with shingles. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that there are no steps to the ground....we don't want steps as we have bears roaming thru the yard at various times and they are nosey and curious ! I really do appreciate everyone's comments and helpfulness.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
They want $40 to come out and "consult"

So pay the $40 for the in person consult with the inspector. You're going to spend several thousand for your new deck and screened porch so
$40 is peanuts.

Are you going to post some pics with different perspective views?

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I have emailed the local inspector to see if he would comment. They want $40 to come out and "consult". Glad I pay taxes !!

We live in the MOUNTAINS where it's not as hot as eastern NC. We don't need additional living space and don't want a 3 or 4 season room....just a screened in porch where we can sit if it's raining or not and not have skeeters biting us in the evening. The roof over the porch will be a gable roof and tied in to the existing roof with shingles. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that there are no steps to the ground....we don't want steps as we have bears roaming thru the yard at various times and they are nosey and curious ! I really do appreciate everyone's comments and helpfulness.
You sure know your surroundings - sounds like a great place to live even with a few uninvited guests to deal with. For your purposes, I'd go the SIP route and keep it simple and much cheaper. (I take it the bears can't shimmy up your posts? They did at a house my parents owned in NH many years ago. But there was a bird feeder out there, so...)

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
You can read through the 2018 NC Residential Code, Appendix M Decks for the code requirements of a deck. But with a roof, you'll have to refer to the other chapters, too.

Deck codes have strengthened considerably in recent decades due to some tragic accidents. I usually figure them as free-standing without attachment to the house. Taller than 36" off the ground, they'll usually be on 6x8 posts. Every column will have a footing—they can't rest on a slab unless it has been pre-designed for the load (with reinforcing bar). Figure lots of cross-bracing or steel moment connectors (Simpson).

Some contractors work with a designer / structural engineer to develop drawings for what you want. This smooths permit submittals and gives you a better idea of what you're getting and paying for before you sign the contract. Otherwise, there's always the chance of an unscrupulous contractor lowballing your project to get it, and then change ordering you into oblivion for profit. You can also hire a structural engineer or architect to develop the drawings yourself, although everybody's really busy right now.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
You sure know your surroundings - sounds like a great place to live even with a few uninvited guests to deal with. For your purposes, I'd go the SIP route and keep it simple and much cheaper. (I take it the bears can't shimmy up your posts? They did at a house my parents owned in NH many years ago. But there was a bird feeder out there, so...)

Surprise !! The SIP route is one of the higher quotes. I'm sure the bears could come up the posts, but for that reason we don't have bird feeders on the deck and make sure not to leave any food out there. There was a bird feeder on an 8' pvc post when I bought the house 2 years ago. Previous owner said it was set in a 5 gal bucket of concrete. After 18 months of frequent bending the post, he finally brought it down. I now have two bird feeders on steel poles...see video below....well it appears I can't upload the video. Sorry.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
So pay the $40 for the in person consult with the inspector. You're going to spend several thousand for your new deck and screened porch so
$40 is peanuts.

Are you going to post some pics with different perspective views?
I agree that $40 is peanuts. I'm just not sure I'll get answers to my questions. Last time I went into their office and asked a code question, I was told that they don't do design work. I may do it after I get more info on how it's going to be built. Meeting with the contractor who wants more posts tomorrow. His wife came out and took all the info for the quote, so I want him to look it over and see if he feels more posts are needed vs a double/triple 2x12 on the sides.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Brent, think again about SIPS remember, they are structural, no framing,saves money and time, also they are fully insulated, again saves money and time,the ONLY person who will not like them is the electrician :}, Roof same thing, you cant look at just $$$$ up front you need to fully see all the things they save

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS