Need help enlarging a picture.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
21C2B0A7-9347-49E2-B002-D07F38B607EC.jpeg

Hi Folks, I know there are a bunch of widely talented people out there and I was hoping someone can help. I want to make this stylized nautilus in wood (curly maple, and walnut) for my daughters Florida home. Problem is, I dont know how to accurately enlarge it. The nautilus needs to be 28” tall and whatever proportionate width. I would like to have this printed on paper so I can trace it on the maple background, then inlay the walnut nautilus. I guess Staples or Office Depot could do it, but I am not ready to go out to the stores. Maybe there is a way, or an app so I can print it on multiple sheets, and tape them together??? Would appreciate any help. Matt...

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Matt, I have access to a plotter at work that has a paper roll that's either 36" or 42" wide. So I can plot at least 36" by ? long. If you want, send me a PM and you can email me the image and I'll try to get it plotted tomorrow.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Your file type (original) will have alot to do with the ultimate quality you get out. If you can get a postscript file, they are scaleable without the image getting pixelated.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Converting to a vector file will then allow any enlargement without a loss. Corel Draw will convert the file. I no longer have Corel Draw, but maybe someone else does.

Charley

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
36 dark spikes at roughly 5º included angle. Lengths appear to vary in equal increments that would be divided by 36 starting at the shortest to longest.
Cut some 5º wedges and saw off veneer-ish strips. Considering the thickness of the wedges, a planer sled might work.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Is this close to what you want? It would be easy enough to make a vector file or a PDF using SketchUp.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 5_10_2020 , 1_55_00 PM.png
    Screenshot - 5_10_2020 , 1_55_00 PM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 119

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Matt, Draw it full scale on your panel or paper. Scale from your original print to determine the location of the circle center point on your 28" panel. Draw a complete circle with 72 lines @ 5 degrees and then shorten the dark wedges as desired.
If you cut the veneer, it would be @ 2.5 degrees. 360/72/2
The attached prints are one of my brainstorms from 2012. Lol.

Attachments

• 101_3940.jpg
    101_3940.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • 101_3941.jpg
    101_3941.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • 101_3941.jpg
    101_3941.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 120
  • 101_3940.jpg
    101_3940.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hey Dave - I'm a SketchUp novice. How did you do that?

Pete, I used a free extension called Curve Maker to draw a spiral and then drew triangles from the center out. I used 72 sides on the spiral so I could use the end points as corners for the triangles. I just eyeballed the spiral in this case. There are six different types of spirals one could select from in the extension. I used a golden spiral.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Pete, I used a free extension called Curve Maker to draw a spiral and then drew triangles from the center out. I used 72 sides on the spiral so I could use the end points as corners for the triangles. I just eyeballed the spiral in this case. There are six different types of spirals one could select from in the extension. I used a golden spiral.
I didn't know about Curve Maker. It will be a useful addition. Thanks
BTW are there any other freebies to draw Bezier curves? I'm an old Illustrator user.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
D5EA4F36-4D0A-47FF-9E8E-990067C032AE.jpeg

Here’s the finished product. Took me 3 days - probably about 20 hours. Used thick (3/32”) walnut veneer pieces inlayed into a piece of maple plywood. Lots and lots of precision routing. Next, I will make a 2” wide walnut frame.
Thank you to Dave and Mike for all your help. Dave scaled the artwork image to size and Mike printed it for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS