Removing Resin Build Up fro Saw Blades

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have been using Simple Green to clean resin off my blades with limited success, so I broke down and bought a product from Felder designed to remove resin. Yes, it was expensive relatively. But Wow does it work! The series of pictures below will show a 30 minute soak of Simple Clean versus a 2 minute soak of the Felder product. There is no comparison. Thought others might want to know. The product name is in German so I won't list it here but it is in the eshop as a blade cleaner. These are the Simple Green images IMG_2211.JPGIMG_2212.JPGIMG_2213.JPG

These are the Felder product. IMG_2215.JPG.IMG_2217.JPGIMG_2216.JPG

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Thought others might want to know. The product name is in German so I won't list it here but it is in the eshop as a blade cleaner.

little bit too cryptic for me, I can't find a cleaner when I search Amazon that meets that description

Jeff

New User
Jeff
little bit too cryptic for me, I can't find a cleaner when I search Amazon that meets that description

Here it is in the Felder e-shop.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Here it is in the Felder e-shop.

thanks, guess Amazon is so ingrained in me I didn't think to look elsewhere for it!!!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've used mineral spirits to clean blades. It does a good job of removing/dissolving the sticky resins.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use CMT's blade cleaner. It works but if I burn the gunk onto the blade I have to use a wire brush too (by hand). If I clean it off more rationally (i.e. sooner), a toothbrush will remove the gunk after a quick soak.

I clean blades on a plastic tray like you get your meal on at a school or some cafeterias. I saw the tip on line. It is quite handy for this and stores easily.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Mineral spirits or turpentine mix, then MEK to clean it to a residue free finish.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't understand the foam in the Simple Green pictures. I have always just soaked the blade in SG liquid and then scrubbed with a brush. It has never been a problem. I seems to me that foam (which contains air bubbles) would not allow liquid (which does the work) to get to all parts of the blade.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another one for Krud Kutter. Works well on table saw, band saw and chain saw blades. I put the blades to be cleaned (bandsaw blades coiled) in a round oil drain pan and cover with the Krud Kutter. After a 20-30 minutes soak, even burnt on resin comes off with a tooth brush. When done, I let the solution sit a couple minutes and pour off the liquid into a container for re-use. I rinse and air dry with compressed air the blades and they are ready to use (I pre-oil my chainsaw blades before re-installing). Bio-degradable, non-toxic, water soluble, and no VOCs, and unlike the oven cleaner, does not degrade the brazing attaching the carbide teeth to the blade.

Last edited:

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't understand the foam in the Simple Green pictures. I have always just soaked the blade in SG liquid and then scrubbed with a brush. It has never been a problem. I seems to me that foam (which contains air bubbles) would not allow liquid (which does the work) to get to all parts of the blade.
I sprayed the SG on and it foamed.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
LA's Awesome from the Dollar Tree. Works well for me, and only costs a dollar. Soak them (table saw blades) in the top from a five gallon bucket, with another top inverted over it to prevent evaporation. Brush clean under running water.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I sprayed the SG on and it foamed.

There is a SG foam and also the liquid form.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS