Charity Vase

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
This little lathe has served me well for 14 years, as I am not really a turner, do mostly spindle work for furniture parts. But this time, this little lathe really took strain, thought it was going to walk out the door, LOL.

Vase for a charity in Southern Pines, 13" diameter 26" high, wall thickness 1/4" throughout. Base is floating. Walnut and Maple, approximately 1,300 pieces. Still has to be finish sprayed, picture shows the raw wood.

Any idea what I should price this for?

VaseE.jpg

vase2E.jpg

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very good, Willem!

Not too sure on how to price it but if it's for a charity or a charity auction - either talk to the organizers or put a value on your time and materials and tell the charity that is what you value it at.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautifully done! I do not have the foggiest idea regarding pricing...I suggest telling the auction organizers that it is "priceless" and see what happens.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
First, fantastic work! If you are thinking about pricing for a tax write-off, you may be disappointed. As I recall, and this is anecdotal, the tax code allows craftspeople who donate their work to only claim the cost of their materials. The value of the finished product is immaterial. Note: I'm not giving tax advice as I'm not qualified or licensed to do so.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
First, fantastic work! If you are thinking about pricing for a tax write-off, you may be disappointed. As I recall, and this is anecdotal, the tax code allows craftspeople who donate their work to only claim the cost of their materials. The value of the finished product is immaterial. Note: I'm not giving tax advice as I'm not qualified or licensed to do so.
I did not think about tax, just want maximum benefits for the charity. This is for the 14th annual Penick Village art show and sale. Still have to do a platter also, probably Monday.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
If it is a silent auction I would put a minimum of $1000 to $2000 on it. That's a lot of work and time for someone to walk off with it for $150.00. By the way, good for you for donating this.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had a machinist friend who built experimental test machines for the medical industry. He charged $10 a part, e v e r y little part. Every screw, nut, washer, each complex machined piece, the base, everything.
Maybe $10 is too much for a tiny piece of wood but you get the idea.

Is $2.00 fair? $2.50? $3.00?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Since it is for a charity, the value is whatever it brings, whether it be $4000 or $40.
I know one of Malcolm Tibbetts turnings sold for $50,000 at a charity and I doubt if he had a set minimum price.
I just completed my 256th segmented turning and have never sold one. But I have given away over 200 of them. It saves me from arguing about I what I think they are worth. Lol. The price that I have received for each turning I have given away has been the responses from the recipients. Priceless!

Reactions: drw

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Since it is for a charity, the value is whatever it brings, whether it be $4000 or $40.
I know one of Malcolm Tibbetts turnings sold for $50,000 at a charity and I doubt if he had a set minimum price.
I just completed my 256th segmented turning and have never sold one. But I have given away over 200 of them. It saves me from arguing about I what I think they are worth. Lol. The price that I have received for each turning I have given away has been the responses from the recipients. Priceless!

Apparently the way this one works is no auction, but a fixed price. The artists set a price, can pocket 70% of the proceeds or donate in full. I chose to donate my two in full.

Your work is top class Charlie. As I said before, if you publish a book you will be better known than Malcolm Tibbetts.

I do a year end season thing where we have a story telling night and a panel rates the stories. Then they each pick a turning prize, from first onwards. Normally everyone walks away with something. Other than that I don’t do a lot of turning pieces.

I build a lot of furniture like you for the love of it, but due to the size of items, normally the cost of materials are covered.

Reactions: drw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS