Bosch Drill/Driver PS20 clutch - toss or repair?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
What would you do faced with this tool failure?

I have a lightly used Bosch PS20 12V Li ion drill driver; a tool I have had for likely 10+years. Never heavily used.

Recently the clutch has become noisy, then it stopped transmitting power at all. I just disassembled it to the point that it was obvious that several small gears were loose. Reassembled in what presumably was the proper position, and it worked! Well, it worked long enough for me to reassemble it, well pleased with myself. Then I think I moved it to some other orientation and heard a small click, then the symptom reappeared - no transmission of power to the chuck. I hear the motor rotating, but the chuck does not.

I love this little tool for in shop use - especially for small screws because this is not a high speed driver. Great control for smaller parts.

So
- is this worth sending to a repair shop?
- now that the DeWalt repair place on Capitol has closed, where might I send this?
- I believe Home Depot has some tool repair facilities at select stores (where they have tool rentals) . In greater Raleigh area that is Strickland Rd store and Fuquay Varina store, if I recall correctly - neither of which is anywhere close to me (near Crossroads in Cary).
- Is there an online store that you could recommend for replacement parts?

I don't NEED this (having just replaced it with a CL purchase of the same tool), but I might consider a repair of it weren't too many $$.

EDIT - I just found the Epicycloidal Gear train for $43+ on e-replacements parts
Epicycloidal Gear Train Part Number: 2606200229 Bosch Availability: Special Order [ more info ] Price: $43.32

What would you do?

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Further question
What are that chances that an impact driver gear box would be a drop in replacement for this gear train? Model nuber different by 1 in last digit
Is the difference between the drill/driver and impact driver only in the gear box or do they have separate/distinct driver circuitry?

Doesn't someone here work for Bosch? PM please me if you have inside info that might help.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I recently went thru a similar exercise with my Black&Decker 20V drill.

New drill and battery - $39. Shipped for free (Amazon Prime).

What my original need was brushes for motor. Then motor is sealed, thus making brush replacement very , very hard.
OK, new motor - The only place that had the motor, wanted $30 for it.

So brand new drill and battery for $9 more than replacement part. No brainer and now I have 2 batteries.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just retired from Bosch in DEC 2019. If I am not mistaken Bosch no longer makes the PS20. They are currently selling the PS21 - Standard motor and the PS22 - Brushless motor.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I had what sounded like similar indications- turned out it was just the clutch ring was not in a detent. Rotated it to the nearest detent and all was good.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What would you do?
10 years is pretty good for a drill. If there's no easy fix/ repair (which from your description there isn't), I'd replace it. Even if you can find the right parts, something else is bound to go next. Plus, with a new tool, you also get new batteries.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Pete - I have seen those, but I already have two other impact drivers (a 12V and an 18V; other brands).
I have decided this is not worth the cost of repairs - the cost of the part with shipping is about 1/2 of a new one. I do have another tool that can use the batteries, although 4 lightly used batteries for one lightly used drill is a bit much. Anyone want to buy 2 Bosch 12V batteries and a charger?

Brianfordet

New User
Brianfordet
I would rather retire such an old model and look for something more contemporary and easier to use. There are so many models out there that are really light and super innovative regarding the energy needs they require! For me, the best impact driver kit right now available in the market is DEWALT DCK240C2 20v Lithium Drill Driver/Impact Combo Kit (1.3Ah), and I was able to find it out thanks to a good review that I read the other day. Maybe you should consider buying such a model yourself!

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I use the M12 as my small light go to with the small battery. Yea, for some things an even smaller and lighter would be fine but I try to limit the number of chargers. Surprised a Bosch failed. Anyway, there were several M12 tools I like, so that is my small, light tool/battery combo.

I had good luck selling stuff like this on Craig's list.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Brian and Scott. Decision made a long time ago not to repair - in fact I am surprised this thread is still open to comment 16 months later. I have other larger impact drivers that I use off site, and moved my 12V Ridgid set into the shop. Love those.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ah, I did not see Brian had responded to an old post. Came up in my mail as new.
I too have a 12 V Ridgid drill and I do like it. I had the Makita 10V (actually 12) pair which I really liked except the drill was a 1/4 quick, not a chuck and the pop in chucks are both crap and clumsy, so I sold them in favor of the M12. The Ridgid drill has a chuck. I use 3rd party batteries. Turns out, they have changed their "lifetime warrantee" to make it impossible to use. Useless and borderline fraud. ( send the entire system in at your expense, and in 8 to 10 months, maybe get it back). Many years ago, they would swap a bad battery at a store with a rental desk. No more. I had a right angle Bosch 12V I bought refurb, and never liked it. Clumsy, heavy and never was sure the brushes were seated. I had the 18V PorterCable pair which is why I now have the Makita. I hung onto my Ridgid 18V driver as it has a lot less torque than the Makita, but more than the M12. That Makita 18 will snap a screw in a heartbeat! If I was rich, I would but the sub-compact Makita and have one less charger.

FWIW, I am probably the sole DeWalt hater. Bad luck with every one. But alas, I did buy a 735 planer (used) and fitted a Shelix head. So far, so good.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ok tool time report ... with a bit of commentary.

I have a Hitachi(Metabo) 18 V impact driver, which is great. This shares no batteries with any other tools I have; that means more chargers etc, but this tool will go all day in constant use, swapping batteries. Was cheap and is a great tool.

Two Ryobi One+ impact drivers - one is a QuietPulse (my fav) - as part of larger set that share 4 'too small' batteries; overall I am pleased and have already gotten great value out of this set.
I have the jigsaw, 'sawsall', small blade circ saw, osc multi-tool, hammer drill (plus two other tools I never use - a normal chuck drill and an even smaller blade circ saw); I also have a tiny 1G(?) One+ compressor that is great for small trim jobs, as it is small and light (but still noisy!). The small blade circ saw is great, but uses batteries quicker than anything else (except compressor). LOVE these cordless 'sawsall' and osc saw for ladder work. The jigsaw is top notch (and I have 2 Bosch corded beasts). There is not a tool in this Ryobi bunch that does not perform up to par - many may not be top of their class, but they all work well. THese were all RECON tools from the Direct Tools is Smithfield - on a clearance type event they had that I learned about on NCWW. Glad I went.

Much older Ridgid 12 V set of impact driver and drill (normal chuck). Impact driver is outstanding - small enough to get into a pocket - but packs a punch (driven 4" lag screws with it). Obviously it won't hold up to all day constant use - but I'm not sure I have a tool that would necessarily (the Metabo does); and only deck work requires that sort of use. The chuck on this Ridgid drill is a weak point, as it too easily looses grip.

Also added a 'Rotozip' head and jigsaw head that will attach to the power unit of the osc saw body (and Ridgid and Ryobi heads are interchangeable). Haven't used either of this - and likely won't for the jigsaw head, as I now have better options.

Don't hate DW or PC or Milwaukee or others, but these 'cheaper' option tools have worked well for me, without fail. They undoubtedly will hold up to homeowner use.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
toss it and take a look at the Hilti 12v set. Drill, driver and impact plus batteries and charger. All three do a great job and are very light. Runs circles around competition

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
toss it and take a look at the Hilti 12v set. Drill, driver and impact plus batteries and charger. All three do a great job and are very light. Runs circles around competition
Yup, just to be clear this was originally posted in Jan 2020 - and decision was made long ago to toss it.
Had not considered Hilti, but I may if my Ridgid set ever gives out.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS