Gilder's wax

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I experimented with gild wax for the first time this weekend. Things went well but I wasn't completely satisfied with the gild wax that I had purchased from Craft Supplies (see pic of open tin). It came in very dry and they do tell you to add mineral spirits to rejuvenate it. That works but it is a messy process and especially difficult in the little tin that it comes in.

Does anyone have another brand that they know works well? I found a Testors and DecoArt brand at my local Hobby Lobby for a decent price, anyone used either of these? The Testors and DecoArt are both water based, so not sure what effect that would have on top finishes. Klingspor sells Chromagilt (Search Results For "chromagilt" | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop) developed for Nick Agar.

Also the Craft Supplies gild wax said it would dry into a hard, durable finish in 12 hours. After 48 hours, it will still rub off the bowl onto my fingers.
craftsup_gild.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Did you mix it well enough? Looks like it is only partially mixed.

I would take a chunk out of the can and put it a larger dish, add a few drops of thinner and knead it like dough until it is thoroughly mixed.

Add a drop or two of the thinner at a time, it is not good to make it too thin.

This is just bronze powder suspended in wax, not a paint. It is made to color the depressed areas so when you wipe it off the high spots stand out.

Reactions: Oka

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used some of Jimmy Clewes and Agars. Clewes' stuff is available at:

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Did you mix it well enough? Looks like it is only partially mixed.

I would take a chunk out of the can and put it a larger dish, add a few drops of thinner and knead it like dough until it is thoroughly mixed.

Add a drop or two of the thinner at a time, it is not good to make it too thin.

This is just bronze powder suspended in wax, not a paint. It is made to color the depressed areas so when you wipe it off the high spots stand out.
Mike - No, I just mixed up a small portion of it for what I needed at the time. But that was kind of my point...I don't really want to have to buy something, transfer it to another container, add thinner, then mix it before I can use it.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I've used some of Jimmy Clewes and Agars. Clewes' stuff is available at:
Do either of those dry out and have to be re-mixed with thinner?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got the Clewes in the spring (comes in small jars with resealable lid) of this year and the Agar at the AAW in Raleigh (comes in tube). They both seem moist when I just looked at them. Dunno how it will be in 18-36 months. I also haven't been finishing any open grained wood lately so the caps have been left tight. Got some pecan coming up in a couple of months.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Gene - Thanks for the info. I watched a Clewes video last night and he talked about how he developed his filler to be thinner so that it is easier to get into the grain. The Craft Supplies gild wax does well for embellishing a rim, but it is nearly impossible to get off your bowl if you try to use it to just fill grain. From Clewes' video, it looks like his filler comes off the surface pretty easily.

Is Woodworld of Texas the only place that sells the Clewes filler. Man, their shipping is expensive!

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dunno about vendors for Clewes. I use the google for that kind of info.

I used the Clewes wax on an oak bowl that I had 'sealed' with black India ink; the India ink really closed up the pores. Still, I used two different colors of Clewes wax and got the effect I wanted though not the intensity due to the closed pores. I wanted to use some of the Clewes gold wax but Woodworld put it on backorder and didn't know when they would get more and suggested the order be cancelled. Thus, I bought the Agar at the AAW. Don't remember what I used the gold on. I've been selling bowls and vases lately and what is left is stacked and racked for the Teddy bear party Friday and I don't want to sort it out right now. Hey, but dearly beloved is now willing to have them all over the public spaces in the house when the house is not decorated for the holidays.

Then pecan turned bowls, finished and rough, drying now and may try some gilding wax on some when they go into finishing. If I remember, I'll post some pictures.

From Clewe's video of handle finishing, the scorching/sealing lacquer/gilding/lacquer makes for a stunning effect, IMHO.

Maybe there is an NCWW member with some expertise who could host a workshop on finishing with gilding wax sometime.

OBTW, if you ever get a chance to watch Clewes demo live it is informative and entertaining. And Agar is no slouch.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS