Final Post - My attempt at a Maloof style rocker

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
A Maloof style rocker has been in my bucket list for a long time. Have read tons of literature, watched most youtube but was always chicken. Three + years ago I felled and sawed a very large RO and have made dozens of projects with the lumber. Got lots of RO... why not make a rocker? Finally decided now or never! So far so good.

Have already shaped the seat and legs.

DSC03043.JPG

Arms and Headrest
DSC03051.JPG

Template for laminated runners
DSC03059.JPG

Sanded to 220
DSC03052.JPG

DSC03053.JPG
DSC03057.JPG

Last edited:

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
That looks great! Did you take a class with Gregory Paolini? That is a very similar design to his class.

joec

joe
User
I have built three of them so far. By far the biggest challenge of my woodworking hobby was the first one.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I have built three of them so far. By far the biggest challenge of my woodworking hobby was the first one.
Biggest challenge here also. I was nervous about the seat/leg joints but it turned out easier than I expected. I'll see how the leg to runners/arms works out... that may be more of a challenge.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Looking good! keep going! jeff (cyclopetedine) not sure of spelling... has done many of these , maybe he will weigh in

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
That looks great! Did you take a class with Gregory Paolini? That is a very similar design to his class.

No classes, I watched quite a few vids on utube. Read a few articles. One gentleman, Mr. Bill Kappel (has a few utube vids) had a post on Lumberjocks with some measurements and offers to send you more details free if requested. I did and he did. No patterns, just his build explanation. He does offer more info for a small fee.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'll be looking forward to the completed rocker also! Looking really good so far Steve, you're the man!

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Managed to get a little more done. This is definitely the most challenging project I've worked on!

Clamped back legs
DSC03073.JPG
Glued up headboard
DSC03076.JPG
Bandsawed curved contour with 1" blade
DSC03077.JPG
Bandsawed the top and bottom curved pattern with a 3/8" blade
DSC03078.JPG
Ground and sanded down to 60 grit
DSC03079.JPG
DSC03080.JPG
DSC03081.JPG
Still lots of sanding and work to do... 7 laminated backslats, grind, instal and sand runners. Sand, sand sand!!! Then the finish. I am enjoying this project.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The rocker is looking good.
The joinery for the arms is the easy part. You have already completed the hardest part, shaping the seat, especially with red oak. Hard the tear out using a carbide burr with oak is tough to clean up and harder woods are much more difficult to shape with rasps.
This looks like the Charles Brock design. If so, the way he attaches the rockers is the most difficult task. If you set the chair up on a flat surface and cut the legs flat to the floor then make adjustments to the risers on top of the rockers for the front to back angle, it is much easier and you will be much more satisfied with the outcome.
Are you using solid back rests or bent laminations via the Hal Taylor approach?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Looks great Steve, thanks for sharing the construction timeline, it really puts into perspective the craftsmanship needed to make a Maloof style piece.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS