6" LONGBED JOINTER

EXKid

New User
Mark
I’ve only sold a couple of things on CL over the years, but the last thing i sold was a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I asked 1100 and said firm, and i meant it.

One of the responses i got was from some guy who told me that while the price was great, he was a disabled veteran and could i find it in my heart to sell it to him for $800. Right....

It sold in 2 hours at my price to someone else.

I can see how someone might want to show a lowballer that their tactic didn’t work by leaving the ad up with -SOLD status. I didn’t on my ad, but i can understand.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Oddly, the seller still has it posted. As sold.

Craigslist selling is not without its risks and annoyances. I suspect the seller of that jointer intends to leave that ad up until the buyer actually gives up the cash and takes the jointer away. Lots of promises to buy come in and not all show up.

That jointer is in perfect condition and that's rare. Most are covered with rust and old sawdust.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That jointer is in perfect condition and that's rare. Most are covered with rust and old sawdust.

I opened the photos a little more. My initial impression was wrong. It does indeed have rust on the bed and old sawdust on it. The original paint is still good.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I’ve only sold a couple of things on CL over the years, but the last thing i sold was a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I asked 1100 and said firm, and i meant it.

One of the responses i got was from some guy who told me that while the price was great, he was a disabled veteran and could i find it in my heart to sell it to him for $800. Right....

It sold in 2 hours at my price to someone else.

I can see how someone might want to show a lowballer that their tactic didn’t work by leaving the ad up with -SOLD status. I didn’t on my ad, but i can understand.

I have bought more than one item on CL from someone who listed their item as "Firm" at a price less than their listed number. There's no harm in making a fair offer. Heck it's a win for the seller. The seller can accept, counter, or reject it knowing how at least one potential buyer valued the merchandise. The real mystery are folks who seem to get literally angry about an offer on a used tool lower than their listing.

When I'm listing, if someone offers less than I'll accept, I almost always counter explaining my thinking. Sometimes, however, I'll just write, "No, thank you. I think I can do better."

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Selling anything on CL, FB marketplace and app-based venues can be aggravating--but selling something makes it worth it.

This past weekend I sold a lawn mower and a router/shaper (router built into a table). I had a lot of "jokers" make ridiculously low offers and "is it available" for the mower--despite listing at half price of other mowers and titling the ad "Mower - AD UP = STILL AVAILABLE. I think the mower is a more common item to sell and therefore garners a lot more attention than a woodworking tool. My assumption is that some people just low-ball and at sometimes get a "yes" response. The router sold to the second person who made a reasonable offer. Neither ad was up for more than two days.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS