What to do with a Grand Prize that I cannot use.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I am absolutely thrilled that my ticket number was drawn for the raffle grand prize, the Rikon 15" helical head planer. What an awesome machine, donated by our awesome sponsor Klingspor.

Problem (for me) is, I already have a 20" Grizzly planer with helical head. Don't need or have room for 2 planers, so it looks like I will have to offer the Rikon for sale.

I feel bad having to sell a prize like this that was so generously donated by Klingspor, but I really don't have any other viable option.

My other conundrum is, what is a fair asking price for this brand new planer? I would like to offer it at a discounted price for anyone on NCWW that can use it. If there are no takers here, I will probably just list it on Craigslist and/or Facebook Marketplace.

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, advice?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mark, perhaps Klingspor would consider "swapping" their donation for something of comparable value that you could use. Just a thought.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not sure if our auction software that was on the old website works on the new one. Can someone of the admins verify that fact for us.

But I think that would be a very good idea as a way to dispose of an unwanted, but very well deserved raffle prize.

Congrats to Mark for winning it, but I too already have a good planer and it would be a quandary to work out what I'd done if I won a second one.

Good luck with whatever path you take to choose. We're just glad one of our contributing members won the grand prize. You rock.

You spent good money on tickets and you deserve some gain from winning the grand prize - hope you get what you should from the experience.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Agree, auction makes since. I'm guessing multiple members would be interested. I am, so that's at least 2 in the 40 minutes since you posted.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I can't think of anything of 'comparable value' (well maybe a Festool battery ;)) from Klingspor that I need, and I would be a little hesitant to ask after their very generous donation, for several years now.

An auction might work, but I would want to limit it to NCWW if at all possible. I don't think we currently have a way to do that here, or if it is even allowed.

And, I am still struggling with a price. LOML obviously thinks I should get close to retail, since the machine is brand new. I do try to follow her recommendations as much as possible so I can continue to live here. And she is usually the one that buys me beer.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't know of an auction piece that can be added onto this platform, we will need for Ron to guidance.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
What would you like to have of comparable value? Example, if I won it I would ask for the newest jet wide belt sander. That is less expensive than the planer. You might also sell it at a discount. Talk to Coleman.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
What would you like to have of comparable value? Example, if I won it I would ask for the newest jet wide belt sander. That is less expensive than the planer. You might also sell it at a discount. Talk to Coleman.

I would love to have a drum sander, just don't have any idea how I could squeeze it into my shop.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I really can't think of a thing that I need that I would want to trade for.

At this point I think selling it is my best option.

Last edited:

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Hey Mark ! Do you have any interest in the 2 day ShopBot training in Durham ? I could be convinced to make a trade with ya. Winning the planer or workbench was my 2 motives for buying tickets.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Hey Mark ! Do you have any interest in the 2 day ShopBot training in Durham ? I could be convinced to make a trade with ya. Winning the planer or workbench was my 2 motives for buying tickets.

If I did that trade I would have to go buy a ShopBot, which I also don't have room for. o_O

How much does a ShopBot cost, if you include the cost of a divorce attorney?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If I did that trade I would have to go buy a ShopBot, which I also don't have room for. o_O

Way too much!

Way too much!

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent

What Fred said....but you could just go to the training and have a fun two days. At least it's close to you, not so much for me.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just curious. All the prizes were great but some I really wanted, some I couldn't use and some I had no interested. Instead of 1 big drawing, would it increase or decrease interest to let people by tickets and then let them pick for which prizes their tickets go toward. That would change from 1 big drawing with multiple prizes to multiple raffles with 1 prize per drawing. So it you saw something you really wanted, you put all your tickets to that prize. If you saw a few things, then you spread your tickets out of those prizes. That would make sure that the winners always got something they wanted. Just a curious thought. It would most likely mean some 3rd party online system for the raffle to help facilitate this.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just curious. All the prizes were great but some I really wanted, some I couldn't use and some I had no interested.
The raffle works really well for smaller items. For example, I won some McFeely's screws many years a=go, which I had never used before. I always bought screws at Home Depot or Lowe's... First time I used the square drive, wow. So now I have 10,000+ screws from them in assorted sizes and flavors. It's a win-win: I get to use something I may not have bought myself, and the sponsors reach new customers.

It's more difficult for a planer. You may already have one that's as good/ better, or maybe you don't have room for one, or 220V. But that's a great problem to have. The raffle also gives you the option to splurge on something you otherwise wouldn't get because you can't get yourself to spend that kind of money. Like a Festool sander.

I agree that buying tickets for a specific item would solve some of the problems, but it's a lot of administration (requiring special software), and also takes some of the adventure out of it. Would I be disappointed to win a fancy turning tool, given that I don't turn? Not really. In the end, the worst case scenario is that you have a prize you can sell/ make someone else happy with, and NCWW raised a bunch of money. Not too bad.

FlyingRon

Ron
None of the add ons from the old site work on the new one. I was unable yet to find a viable classified or auction software for XenForo 2 yet that was reasonable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS